Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual US Open

Sun, Jul 3 2016 7:42 PM (65 replies)
  • bluey403
    1,526 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 2:51 AM

Congrats to all the great players who have already qualified.

As a long time player im guessin the cut off will be 56.

If it was the real Oakmont many players would struggle to shoot 58, but with #4 an eagle chance & #9 a chance to hit real close it becomes very much kinder.

The greens still pose a problem for the average player.

My advice to those that want to have a crack at qualifying, is just relax an shoot it

Dont put pressure on yourself to shoot 27 on the front 9.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 4:51 AM

Hi All,

Just played what I consider my finest round ever (in 8 years) today trying to qualify for the US Open. No its not a 50 or a 51 !!  Fact is I'll never qualify - not from Tour Master level anyway - I just cant cope with Oakmont, and those incredible greens. Its a monster of a course from my level.

That said !!  -  I have just shot a rather creditable 61  - boy, was my putting on fire today. My best putt a 45ft double breaker down hill - there's not much in this world thats perfect, but this putt was lol. Its on my profile page if anyone wants to have a look.

Happy hitting and congrats to all those who qualify.

Cheers

Doug (alias dorkfeatures)

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2016 6:28 AM

bluey403:

Congrats to all the great players who have already qualified.

As a long time player im guessin the cut off will be 56.

If it was the real Oakmont many players would struggle to shoot 58, but with #4 an eagle chance & #9 a chance to hit real close it becomes very much kinder.

The greens still pose a problem for the average player.

My advice to those that want to have a crack at qualifying, is just relax an shoot it

Dont put pressure on yourself to shoot 27 on the front 9.

I also think 56 will be the cut.  I can't see there being that many players really trying to qualify as it's and old course,  the novelty isn't there

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Fri, May 6 2016 10:57 AM

The only time I qualified for the Virtual US open was quite a few years ago, ( I got a hat btw), but I'm finding it much harder now although my score is around the same.

I believe it's to do with the improvement to clubs and balls etc. I believe they're turning WGT into a game of perfect.

On returning to the game from a long break, my clubs which were top clubs when I left have been superceded and I don't think it's improved the game.

The new equipement means there's no room for recovery any more, a bad hole ruins a round and a bad hole is getting to be a par.

I understand that WGT keeps improving the clubs to generate income but how long can this go on, are we eventually going to get cuts being at 50.

I'm still enjoying the game but preferred when scores were more realistic.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Tue, May 10 2016 4:25 PM

Anyone else getting sick of the Lexus ads?  Although I do find it funny that their motto is 'the pursuit of perfection'... rather ironic that they are sponsoring WGT..lol

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, May 10 2016 11:19 PM

CMcCartney727:
    Anyone else getting sick of the Lexus ads?

I've never seen any ad, unless I do a free credit offer.

Are you using Adblock or AdGuard? Ghostery and adguard or adblock stop any and all ads.

• bigcountry317
    4,269 Posts
    Wed, May 11 2016 11:29 AM

dorkfeatures:
    That said !!  -  I have just shot a rather creditable 61  - boy, was my putting on fire today. My best putt a 45ft double breaker down hill - there's not much in this world thats perfect, but this putt was lol. Its on my profile page if anyone wants to have a look.

That's what this whole event should be about right there.....CONGRATS on the good round and excellent putt!

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Fri, May 20 2016 3:19 AM

Another 50's around, guess what.

• Dstylie
    774 Posts
    Fri, May 20 2016 1:37 PM

I thought for sure he would break 50, must have held something back so not to look too suspicious

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Fri, May 20 2016 6:23 PM

Dstylie:

I thought for sure he would break 50, must have held something back so not to look too suspicious

LMAO..............

Imagine that............  Probably only 1st attempt......I'm quite sure breaking 50 would be a cake walk on attempt #2.

Shame that all  of his/hers/its fabulous rounds are never streamed.......  or better yet, never mandated by WGT...........   

RSS