Help › Forums

off ding putting method

Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:48 PM (67 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 8:57 AM

mkrizan86:

Yiannis1970:
    Try the same thing on the first hole of PB. Severe dh putt. You 'll see that in half way the ball starts to go straight not ''feeling'' anymore the break.

That's because it is straight. Mags explained the elevation component a while back, here's the link:

Yes, i have already seen this video, but in my opinion it's a total different case. If you stand above the pin on No1 but insted of 12 ft you have let's say 6 ft, you 'll see that the break is there...and heavy too.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 9:02 AM

hatcojack:

curious how many great players( say, mid 50's avg) use the off ding putting method?

I am reasonably good and I have been putting off-ding since it allowed me to make putts at Kiawah 7 years ago. I have tried the on-ding method a jillion times but to no great success. I simply do not understand the relationship between the moving beads and the grid lines beyond looking at them with a really complicated putt. I wish I did understand the relationship because the truly great putters here do understand this aid. I believe these great putters are gifted well beyond most of us un-gifted.

~ SP ~ 

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 10:14 AM

mkrizan86:
    Apologies for not checking the quote, they were my words, meant to compare statements.
    Accepted - no harm. Double quotes may be difficult to handle here.

mkrizan86:
    As far as disagreeing goes, no issues with that, but not sure if you realise (with the utmost respect), you're disagreeing on something you don't do (maybe my assumption is wrong, but you are a ding putter, correct?), with someone who's been doing it this way from his 2nd week on WGT ? ;-)

As far as misunderstanding goes, I am a dedicated off ding putter, see my first post on page 3. Also, don't you know me better? I'd not write novels about something outside my experience.

• pmm711
    5,520 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 10:25 AM

OK, let me begin by saying I am not a great putter but a better than average one.  

And I see a lot of my fellow Wooden Tee members have commented on this thread and I am surprised at the number of great off-ding putters we have in our CC.  Especially since Mags preaches the ding-putting method and his putting is actually superb.  I can't wait to get personal lessons from him in June when he arrives for the US Open.  Only then will I be able to take in the nuances of learning the grid and dot movements and making putting adjustments accordingly.  At the same time of Mags' visit I will also be able to personally witness how JayW putts with his off-ding method.  If I can't putt better after that personal instruction then I guess I truly suck at the game (which I already readily admit...LOL).

I learned the off-ding method early on and used a Rossa for a very long time.  I recently switched to a Nike Method Lev 94 and find it putts off-ding rather well.  For really big breaks I do use the aim-and-hit-the-ding method as there is only so much break you can compensate for with the off-ding method.  Using a combination of the ding and off-ding methods has made the game fairly enjoyable for me.  I'm no Mags and doubt I ever will be, especially since I am anti-ball-purchasing.  

So after Mags' visit in June I will see how I proceed.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 10:33 AM

alosso:
    As far as misunderstanding goes, I am a dedicated off ding putter, see my first post on page 3. Also, don't you know me better? I'd not write novels about something outside my experience.

I've just put on my shame hat ;-) As for the rest, makes no difference who's right, as long as we both make putts thinking we're correct ;-)

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 10:35 AM

Yiannis1970:
    If you stand above the pin on No1 but insted of 12 ft you have let's say 6 ft, you 'll see that the break is there...and heavy too.

Not in every spot, but that's just my opinion. I prefer to leave it short there anyway ;-)

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 10:48 AM

Off Ding, On Ding!

Makes no difference you are still aiming at "A" spot on the swing meter where you want to engage the ball.

I prefer to have a stable, visible target to aim for.

It's like trying to discuss religion or politics, if the person is convinced you'll never change them!  my nickle.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2016 11:14 AM

mkrizan86:
    I've just put on my shame hat ;-)

Here ya go!

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Apr 7 2016 12:09 AM

Lmao, Andy, priceless ;-)

How did you know I was a cat deep down inside ;-)

• TorstenKammerer
    48 Posts
    Thu, Apr 7 2016 7:29 PM

What i got out of it.

1) if your Judgement is good (proper amount to move maker or amount to miss Ding)

2) You are able to stop the meter exactly where you intended. 

You gone sink some Putts

Now if 1 is negative or two is negative, you not gone make that Putt.

On the other Hand if 1 is negative and 2 is negative

Man with a little Luck you may make at least 50% of them.

Next Putter purchase check how many Lucky Points it has, dont buy anything under 5. lol

RSS