Forums

Help › Forums

off ding putting method

Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:48 PM (67 replies)
  • hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 9:34 AM

curious how many great players( say, mid 50's avg) use the off ding putting method?

• Therockdoctor
    232 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 10:24 AM

not many if any ... some will use it to edge their bets and aim to miss against the break

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 1:02 PM

I ar not a great player but I  do has average 57 and I is always putts off ding, it only way I is know how to putt

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 1:33 PM

hatcojack:
    curious how many great players( say, mid 50's avg) use the off ding putting method?

Depends on the definition of "off ding putting". You know that pure off ding putting without moving the aimer doesn't work on tournament greens - for severe breaks, the aimer must be re-positioned.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 1:42 PM

hatcojack:

Being that in my view we only have 5 - 10 truly great players here along with a host of real good ones, the question is interesting with many ways to putt. Just by experimentation, very early on, I adopted off-ding to the point of never budging the aimer at all and moving it slightly on putts over, say, 25 feet. The problem is that this style only goes so far. The path of learning the grids, understanding the moving beads and becoming expert predicting power, all while nailing the ding, + or - a single pixel on purpose is by far the better journey. After years of off-ding disicipline, the transition to the better path is brutal work, but necessary for any improvement...it seems  ~SP~  

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 3:20 PM

I am Loath to reply to the OP..

Because HE is a proper pleb..

So I will reply instead to SP..

She got it bout right, hitting a certain pixel over distance , is the same as dinging straight..over 20  foot plus etc

off ding puting ( for me. as a ding putter ) was a strange method to learn...

Started off doing it when it was just too hard to throw it out THAT wide..

now it has become more of the norm, for 4 footers AND an integral part of (dinging)...

....just before or after ...for 10+ footers

The key is the putter...

mine needs a massive early / late  click, others..not so much..the 'cheaper / starter type putter do real well with the method....

Where were we...oh , the OP

He is someone that should be avoided at all costs..I use 'pleb' as a derogatory term

BUT..IF you have a barge pole handy, stick it out, and turn 360 degrees...

Hold ya breath and thank whatever God you pray to that the OP, is not in your vicinity.

Met nuff fookin fools on this site over the years,but ya man takes the biscuit... 

Don't take my word for it....ask around !!

Andy

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 3:29 PM

alosso:

You know that pure off ding putting without moving the aimer doesn't work on tournament greens - for severe breaks, the aimer must be re-positioned.

I is always play tournment greens

I is never move aimer, I leave it al times then I is adjust for slope by miss dinger to side.

I is thinking this ar what the person mean when he is aks who ar miss the ding people, I ar one.

• Beryman
    9,084 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2015 3:33 PM

have used the off ding putting method for 6 years now and i use it on all green speeds including champion...thou i do move the cursor for large breakers and use a combo

• RKPayne
    213 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2015 6:57 AM

hatcojack:

I been putting this way since I started playing over 4 years ago. I learned that way, and just never changed. Not the best player, but get by. I did make it to Legend...now have 62.16 avg, and 42.76 one putt average. I've tried the other way, but just couldn't putt as well. Maybe some day I'll try and learn it.

Cheers,

Bob

• WoodenHands
    526 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2015 8:41 AM

To answer the original question, though not a great player, I only putt using the miss ding method, although i do move the aim for a bigger breaking putt.

Tried the other way too but found I'm more clueless than I am presently.

RSS