Forums

Help › Forums

off ding putting method

Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:48 PM (67 replies)
  • TorstenKammerer
    48 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 1:28 AM

Not a good Putter here but working on it for a long time now.

What i do is on putts less then 3 feet i leave the aimer on the hole and miss ding into the break, on strong breaks by quite a amount.

Longer Putts i move the aimer to my best judement, then use several methodes to verify, reversed view, chip view, ect...

then i procede to normal view and give the situation a final thought.

based on that i decide to ding or miss ding slightly.

Reading all your posts on this got me thinking.

What about those Putter attributes that we pay for, how do they come in?

Precision, Forgiveness.

would it not seam that by leaving the aimer on the hole we would benefit most from the attributes we have?

Any time you move the aimer the target circle is moved with it and precision and forgiveness are aimed at this new location?

whats your thought?

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 2:34 AM

I try and ding everything, even the 1 footers. Just love that sound.   DING.......

MrQueez:

I always move the aim marker.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 6:24 AM

hatcojack:

curious how many great players( say, mid 50's avg) use the off ding putting method?

Now that you've got many replies, I'd check those player's 1 putt% and you'll have a good idea of what works and what may not work. 

I do both. Probably 50% both ways. I couldn't get the off-ding down until I bought the el cheapo putter I now use. I've had every top putter available and the manta is the best purchase I've ever made (the BB 3wd is the worst). Green speed and the course have a lot to do with whether I will be using more off-dings than dings (Chambers Bay and Pebble Beach come to mind as having more greens I will off-ding than ding).

Most of the really, really good putters use the ding method as much as possible. But, that can also be attributed to the fact that they are within 10ft or so on approaches. Plus, they know where to be on the greens. Sometimes a 15-20ft straight putt is easier than a 6ft bender.

What works for one player might seem impossible to figure out for the next player. 

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 7:20 AM

I have to ask all off dingers in real golf do you aim straight st the hole then push or pull the putt?? I don't think so so why do it here?

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 7:36 AM

AceHoler26:
    By the way, the forgiveness thing is a non factor.  I have both the Rossa and the Versa.  I was using the Rossa for quite awhile, but I find I am putting better with the Versa even though the Versa has much a much higher forgiveness rating.  So you can throw that right out the window :)

Way off the mark with this. Higher forgiveness means a totally different clicking spot (farther from the ding) for the same break. There are breaks you can't off ding with the Nike 4 dot putter, but can easily be holed without touching the marker with my 3 dot Ghost. if you still believe to be correct, try clicking the same spot on a starter putter and see what line the ball will have.

@ alosso

The reason, why off dinging is easier to some (like me), is because it only has 2 omponents. They are the correct power for the distance and the correct clicking spot for the dot speed. It's easier to me, cause the clicking spot for the same dot speed is the same, regardless of the distance to the hole. While with the ding method, the distance between the hole and the marker needs needs to be adjusted according to the length of the putt.

Example: on the same green and in the same position, with an even, consistant break:

- off ding : always click the same spot on the meter (the distance plays no part), only need to set (guesstimate ;-)) the correct power

- ding: the spot you need to move the marker to is totally different for a 10 or a 20 footer, much more thinking involved, at least for me.

But what's easier or harder is always dependent on personal preferances. I tried moving the marker my 1st week here, didn't work well. so I tried it the other way and it felt much more comfortable, never looked back. The only time when I had some issues, was when I bought my 1st putter, when the higher forgiveness meant it took me about a week to figure out where I need to stop the meter, to get the same line. Tried a few other putters, but was never bothered to relearn everything again, so that 1st L35 Ghost will probably stay my only putter 'til the end of this game.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 8:02 AM

borntobesting:

I have to ask all off dingers in real golf do you aim straight st the hole then push or pull the putt?? I don't think so so why do it here?

Easier ... off dinging requires seeing and trusting the break, so no need to move the aim arrow. So it is a matter of slide meter to the % or avatar movement and go. IRL you are not moving an "aim arrow" you are looking at the line you believe is the correct line for that putt. Much harder IRL to putt.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 9:52 AM

seems to work better, at least for me, on the shorter putts (6ft or less) than it does on longer ones. I also am not that great a player.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 2:45 PM

mkrizan86:
    Higher forgiveness means a totally different clicking spot (farther from the ding) for the same break.

That's what I have in mind.

mkrizan86:
    @ alosso

The reason, why off dinging is easier to some (like me), is because it only has 2 omponents. They are the correct power for the distance and the correct clicking spot for the dot speed. It's easier to me, cause the clicking spot for the same dot speed is the same, regardless of the distance to the hole.

I'd support that it's a lazier approach to the game - you do not calc the deviation but guestimate the variations. But, I don't follow you in your "two components" theory. Shot distance varies with the off margin of the shots, and longer putts break much more than short ones. If not, the program would disrespect physical facts.

My two Pfennig.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 3:49 PM

borntobesting:

Not necessarily 'aim for the hole' but sometimes maybe, but sure, sometimes yes. But mostly on a canted green.

IMO off dinging, on a big slope & slick greenspeed  esp., the more increased chances of staying on the correct side of the hole, whether it's too long or too short, by off dinging.

Or you can chance being early on the ding, by mistake, on a slick green then your putt may roll away. (or late on the ding, depending on the tilt of the green)

That's the downfall of THE DING : It's where the forces of opposing results change completely in a miniscule area with a fraction of a second.

That's why I use the same off ding like Champ Jay on this last shot on a slanted green.

That's why.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2016 4:43 PM

alosso:
    it only has 2 omponents. They are the correct power for the distance and the correct clicking spot for the dot speed.

alosso:
    I don't follow you in your "two components" theory. Shot distance varies with the off margin of the shots,

TBH, "the correct power" has a couple of components on its own, like adding more power for clicks farther from the ding, but once you internalize all of them (and it shouldn't take that long), it's like being on an auto pilot and you feel like there's only 2 ;-)

alosso:
    longer putts break much more than short ones. If not, the program would disrespect physical facts.

They have to be clicked on the same spot on the meter for the same dot speed, regardless of the distance. The only thing to adjust is the strength (more power, wider line, less power ...). it might seem that longer putts break more, cause people tend to overhit the short ones, which makes them go straighter.

RSS