Forums

Help › Forums

Us Open 2015 at Chambers Bay

Mon, Jun 22 2015 11:27 PM (165 replies)
  • roidrage03
    399 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 7:52 AM

LOLserver:

Our winner is roidrage03 with Spieth!!!.....great pick ; ))

Please mate, let me know the sleeve of your choice and I send it to you right after : )))

Btw....I could not hold my self awake to see the end but it was awesome (saw the replay)

Eric

Thank you very much!!! I would love a sleeve of the NIKE 20XI-X RZN Balls (L81+).

Thanks too for running this contest - much appreciated!!

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 10:00 AM

Corwyn:

Watching the real-life US Open and seeing the scores, I was curious if players here had an opinion about which club combinations on WGT might offer the best match to replicate the difficulty and experience the pros had. 

I've been trying the challenge of shooting par with the full starters set using the VUSO Qualifier tourney set-up, but that's far harder than the best finishers experienced (pretty close to Tiger's woeful shotmaking though!).

Perhaps the Tour Starter Clubs with low-level balls (e.g. Lexus or equivalent free balls given for tourneys)?

I believe maybe your regular driver and 3 wood as the pros didn't have many problems driving or teeing off wise, of course starter irons and wedges as these gave them most problems , their approaches, putter not too sure on, I don't believe here the greens are half as tricky as was in RL ..... Starter putter it is then lol and of course starter ball

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 10:16 AM

Mushy01:
    I don't believe here the greens are half as tricky as was in RL

Nor are the fairway rolls. Every short shot into #7 stops here but ask Justin Rose if that's real-he took a 7 there because twice his ball didn't stay put. Approach hit 4 yards from the hole and rolled all the way back down into the fescue. The shot from there did the same thing only it rolled back into the trap.

If WGT wants realism they should make the fairways act the same way they did in the real tournament.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 10:47 AM

YankeeJim:

Mushy01:
    I don't believe here the greens are half as tricky as was in RL

Nor are the fairway rolls. Every short shot into #7 stops here but ask Justin Rose if that's real-he took a 7 there because twice his ball didn't stay put. Approach hit 4 yards from the hole and rolled all the way back down into the fescue. The shot from there did the same thing only it rolled back into the trap.

If WGT wants realism they should make the fairways act the same way they did in the real tournament.

+1000

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 10:52 AM

YankeeJim:

+1 Jim I was thinking the same thing.  If they mapped the fairways and greens of CB using existing ST. Andrews surfaces (which are obviously different and faster than other courses) it would be closer and expedient since they would not need new surface definitions.

**edit**  Thinking more about this raised this question.

If the fairways were made firmer and faster and the greens were made firmer on WGT, what effect would it have on scoring?  Would the course be harder than it is now?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 11:10 AM

roidrage03:
    I assumed that Mark meant DJ, who hit a 5-iron into the green.

But DJ was 69yds closer on the second shot!  He had  about 215yds to the back left pin vs 284 for Spieth.

How do I know this?  I went out to #18 on WGT and found their locations:

There ain't nuttin' wrong with our irons.  Here's a replay of my shot with a 5I from DJ's location to the back left of 18's green where the pin was on Sunday at the US Open.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 11:41 AM

Great event, such drama on the closing holes :) thx Eric for the pics , stats ,& updates.         and thx Eric & Corwyn for sponsoring the prizes,  cheers to the winners.                                 & OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     D.J  ..  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 11:50 AM

andyson:
    If the fairways were made firmer and faster and the greens were made firmer on WGT, what effect would it have on scoring?  Would the course be harder than it is now?

Without a doubt, IMO. Take those cushy fairway full back spin stop on a dime shots and turn them into rough shots where spin is worthless. Then watch the roll after landing on greens you can't map. Throw in some bumpy rolls on putts and watch the howling from the masses. Would totally love to see it AND play it.  

The bumpy putts would be a stretch but the rest of it would be seriously real. I doubt very much the cut would be  55 under these conditions. How cool would it be for WGT to implement these changes for the actual finals here? That would be right.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 12:04 PM

roidrage03:

.... NIKE 20XI-X RZN Balls (L81+).

Thanks too for running this contest - much appreciated!!

Balls send : )))

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2015 12:18 PM

YankeeJim:

andyson:

Without a doubt, IMO. Take those cushy fairway full back spin stop on a dime shots and turn them into rough shots where spin is worthless. Then watch the roll after landing on greens you can't map. Throw in some bumpy rolls on putts and watch the howling from the masses. Would totally love to see it AND play it.  

The bumpy putts would be a stretch but the rest of it would be seriously real. I doubt very much the cut would be  55 under these conditions. How cool would it be for WGT to implement these changes for the actual finals here? That would be right.

This is very interesting. The old Links golf game had 3 fairways choices: dry, normal & wet, the game had very basic graphics but offered easy & tough conditions including swing setup with draws, fades, etc.

WGT has all the information necessary to offer those fairway choices too and could change the fairways speed without big problems, but I believe, again and again, WGT is not interested on using more resources for such projects.

Close to reality?....indeed, landing you ball on a dry tiling fairway with high crosswinds would be a real challenge....just like in reality : ))))

Eric 

RSS