Forums

Help › Forums

Us Open 2015 at Chambers Bay

Mon, Jun 22 2015 11:27 PM (165 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 3:19 AM
    List of the players qualified from our Pick the Winner competition.
    • T1 - Patrick Reed
    • T1 - Jordan Spieth
    • T3 - Justin Johnson
    • T9 - Jason Day
    • T9 - J.B. Holmes
    • T12 - Henrik Stenson
    • T17 - Matt Kuchar
    • T21 - Brad Snedeker
    • T21 - Hideki Matsuyama
    • T28 - Justin Rose
    • T35 - Phil Mickelson
    • T44 - Rory McIlroy
    • T44 - Jim Furyk
    • T60 - Sergio Garcia
    • T60 - Jimmy Walker
    • T60 - Ian Poulter

For the looks, an American might as well win the Us Open ; )).

Until now, great weather has been there and surprisingly the leaders are still -5, like in day 1. If the weather changes and it gets a little wet and windy, I am afraid the scores will go down and perhaps drastically.

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 3:27 AM

Notable & Quotable 

• Ryan Moore, a three-time USGA champion and a four-time winner on the PGA Tour who hails from nearby Puyallup, Wash., missed the 36-hole cut by four strokes with rounds of 75-74: “I would be lying if I said I felt great coming into this week. This course does not set up all that well for me. I hit the ball really low, and it makes you take it in a little more aerial than a lot of the links courses. In the end just didn’t hit good enough golf shots.”
    • Eight of the top 11 players after 36 holes at Chambers Bay are from the United States. Many expected that the links-style course would favor players from Great Britain and Ireland. Among the top 11, only Joost Luiten (Netherlands) is from Northern Europe.
    • Second-round co-leader Jordan Spieth, 21, is aiming to become the youngest champion of the U.S. Open since Bob Jones in 1923 and is the only player in the top 16 on the leader board to have won a major championship, the 2015 Masters: “I’ll draw some on Augusta, but at the same time my patience level has to be even that much higher. At Augusta I was finding fairways, hitting it on the green and I was making everything. That would be nice if I could do that here, but it's a harder golf course than the Masters played this year.”

I love this pic....the only bloody tree in the course and it is not even in play!!!! LOL

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 4:32 AM

I do not know the history of Chambers Golf Club but I saw an interview with the creator Trend Jones where is say that "I got the best out of the gravel and fescue ground available to make a very challenging course that I am sure those guys are enjoying".....

I think he did use, in the next picture, the "hole" in the left side. But perhaps probably both "holes" were used... as said I do not know much about it.

....and some buildings

I can only give GREAT credits to Jones for such an amazing work filling up those holes and getting the result of such fantastic "links" course.

Eric

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 7:39 PM

Excruciatingly painful day for the players on Chambers ... Jason Day almost quit three times on the back nine, but worked through it and is tied for the lead !!!

Four tied for the lead going into the final round. 16 players were under par at the start today... now only 8 ... Chambers is showing it's teeth ...

Thanks for sharing all the pics Eric ...

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 9:12 PM

donsprintr:
    Jason Day almost quit three times on the back nine, but worked through it and is tied for the lead !!!
                great to see him play well, looked pretty bad @ first yesterday, he seems to be dealing w/ his vertigo ,  go Jason!..      Day, Reed, Rory & Spieth are my 4 starters in my  fantasy golf league..   :)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 11:09 PM

Anyone not pulling for Day, has to be off their rocker!

Man, can he putt or what?

As been said, "one tough Aussie"...

They oughtta print up some tee shirts!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2015 6:11 AM

MBaggese:

Anyone not pulling for Day, has to be off their rocker!

Man, can he putt or what?

As been said, "one tough Aussie"...

They oughtta print up some tee shirts!

WTH?...went to bed and now there 4 players tied at the top!!!...is Day on steroids? wasn't he fainting and hospitalized friday? amazing, no other words to describe it.

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2015 6:23 AM

Yup, Chambers is showing its teeth : )))...and the weather has not really play a factor here......yet.

Did mention yesterday that a Us player might win it, I wrong I was lol....more international players in the 10 top positions, but still Johnson & Spieth can win it anyways.

Oosthuizen (can't even pronounce his surname) was the best player with 4 under par!!!

Longing for the last day and perhaps "play off"..yikes : )))

Eric 

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2015 7:31 AM

LOLserver:

Good remark Jim, FOX showed yesterday the two available tee locations for that hole. One with some up hill carry and the one we know from WGT, from up hill.

The one they used yesterday was the one with little up hill and is placed ON THE OPPOSITE side of the green if you were going to tee up from the elevated one!!!....sort of rotating 160 degrees around the green from each tee.

If you look at the small overview of 9 on WGT, there is a huge extra fairway off to the right that is not in play from the elevated tees. I take it that the unelevated tee is the teeing ground off to the right, maybe 120 degrees off, so you have to carry that whole extra fairway and some bunkers to reach the green. Tried it in practice and it was about 200 yards, a bit uphill.

Kind of like St Andrews where you can essentially have different holes because of the setup (reverse, using double fairways etc). Don't know if that tee will be available in WGT or not.  

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2015 12:23 PM

zagraniczniak:

Kind of like St Andrews where you can essentially have different holes because of the setup (reverse, using double fairways etc). Don't know if that tee will be available in WGT or not.  

That would be cool, although I do not believe (I'm positive actually) WGT would invest manpower to create a new tee (in this case only for legend or TL) when they have already established the tee locations per level....from hack to legend.

Great idea tho.

Eric

RSS