Forums

Help › Forums

Chambers Bay US Open Qualifier

Wed, Jul 1 2015 4:48 AM (78 replies)
  • Soggyblogger
    224 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2015 10:36 AM

The wind at Chambers Bay is totally unrealistic. Average winds in real life are well below 10 mph. Near zero a lot of the time. I have no problem with unrealistic scores. This is a game, and people are going to master a computer game more easily than the real thing. Plus, the real thing plays with uneven lies. Add in uneven lies and the scores on WGT would be that much closer to real world scores. 

But the wind? That is totally unrealistic in multiple ways. Not only are the winds relentlessly strong when in real life that is never true, but the winds move all over the compass from one hole to another. On the same day. Which is blatant manipulation. Why not randomize the wind on hole 1, and then stick with that basic direction? That way WGT could not be accused of cheating us. 

But since WGT doesn't answer such questions, it's like talking to a brick wall and just as effective.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2015 7:16 PM

Soggyblogger:
    The wind at Chambers Bay is totally unrealistic. Average winds in real life are well below 10 mph. Near zero a lot of the time.

Where the eff  do you live?

In some kinda glass bubble...yea...no wind in the basement.

Have you actually read this thread...or...notice YJ and the OP (who lives near by) talked about the wind near CB...relating it to Bandon.

Ever fly a kite in no wind?...or here you live kite flying only happened 2 times a year.

Pull you head out of your stinky cavity, wash up..and see the rest of the world whenthere is sun shining, wind blowing...ooooo...and the wet stuff that comes from the sky...

Ya do know it rains, right?

Mercy, you (wish I knew how to post those neat GIFs) have made everyone dumber with your post.

Run along please.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2015 7:16 PM

double post

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 2:52 AM

Soggyblogger:

The wind at Chambers Bay is totally unrealistic. Average winds in real life are well below 10 mph. Near zero a lot of the time. I have no problem with unrealistic scores. This is a game, and people are going to master a computer game more easily than the real thing. Plus, the real thing plays with uneven lies. Add in uneven lies and the scores on WGT would be that much closer to real world scores. 

But the wind? That is totally unrealistic in multiple ways. Not only are the winds relentlessly strong when in real life that is never true, but the winds move all over the compass from one hole to another. On the same day. Which is blatant manipulation. Why not randomize the wind on hole 1, and then stick with that basic direction? That way WGT could not be accused of cheating us. 

But since WGT doesn't answer such questions, it's like talking to a brick wall and just as effective.

Any course situated near the sea or is without trees will feel the wind much more than a tree lined course. Thebigeasy707 has played St Andrews a few times and had to walk off because it was un-playable with winds reaching highs way more than wgt. In fact he said he had to help an old gentleman  off the course because he couldn't walk forward the wind was that strong

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 7:23 AM

MBaggese:

Soggyblogger:
    The wind at Chambers Bay is totally unrealistic. Average winds in real life are well below 10 mph. Near zero a lot of the time.

Where the eff  do you live?

In some kinda glass bubble...yea...no wind in the basement.

Have you actually read this thread...or...notice YJ and the OP (who lives near by) talked about the wind near CB...relating it to Bandon...........

You might want to go easy on Soggyblogger Mike!  I think he did his homework and is correct about the low winds at Chambers Bay.

According to this site, the average wind at University Place, WA just north of Chambers Bay is indeed well below 10mph (avg wind is 5mph).  And same thing at Steilacoom, WA just south of CB where the average wind is just under 5mph.

It appears to me the low wind setting for the Qualifier are appropriate.  But the 15 to 20 winds we see for example in an AS game are unrealistic as the average max wind speeds are generally less than 15mph.

We can't compare Chambers Bay to Bandon Dunes winds either.  BD is on the ocean.  CB is 75 miles inland from the ocean and located on the south end of Puget Sound, kinda sheltered from ocean winds by the hills and trees to the west of it.  (CB is also 275 miles north of BD btw)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 8:09 AM

andyson:

We can't compare Chambers Bay to Bandon Dunes winds either.  BD is on the ocean.  CB is 75 miles inland from the ocean and located on the south end of Puget Sound, kinda sheltered from ocean winds by the hills and trees to the west of it.  (CB is also 275 miles north of BD btw)

This is very true, living and playing up & down much of the west coast, all of the courses from BC down to Baja that reside on the enormous Pacific, can and do dish up winds of a unique nature, both in intensity and the effect of the moist air. These two factors make judgement indeed challenging as apposed to, say, playing in the Tahoe area, where the ball goes much further, or in older areas of Palm Springs where the mountain range negates any wind and allows you to blow smoke rings from your cigar in the middle of the afternoon while spending at the booze cart ;-}  

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 5:02 PM

I'm sure we'll get heavy winds that are really STA strong at Chambers for the Open (at least one round or maybe two). A pity that we don't have the strong winds that Kiawah experiences (irl) ...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, May 19 2015 10:42 AM

donsprintr:
    A pity that we don't have the strong winds that Kiawah experiences (irl) ...

I'm still wanting the good fortune to play there, Don. William (Tarheelsrule), has played it a bunch and can vouch for amazing wind there...must be something to behold. ;-}

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Tue, May 19 2015 10:56 AM

Kiawah sits right on the dunes, you can literally hit a wedge into the ocean from a number of fairways.

The wind there can be strong or light, generally it's what I consider breezy 10 to 15 mph but the tough part is that it generally blows in from the ocean so you have a side wind on almost every hole which I find more difficult that wind into you or downwind.

From around 7000 yards it is very difficult for me although the fairways do roll out a good bit,   If you look at ST Andrews, where I have also played in a variety of conditions, you always get a lot of forward roll, only played it in late summer but it's hard ground., even in the rain.  So it plays a lot shorter than it says.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Fri, May 22 2015 4:20 PM

Anyone else notice that the moronic 'Focus Boost' (in other circles it's called cheating) is now available in the qualifier?  So those of us who spent countless hours and balls qualifying LEGITIMATELY are going to be run over by people who will pony up $20 to get a bunch of perfect shots.  I'm at 56 and I know I have NO CHANCE of qualifying.  BRILLIANT IDEA by WGT to introduce that 'feature' in the middle of a qualifier for what is supposed to be the biggest tournament of the year.... *** brilliant...

RSS