Sun, Jun 7 2015 4:13 PM

Thanks, MB!

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2015 4:22 PM

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2015 4:43 PM

Having played numerous US Open qualifiers over the years I have to say that I have enjoyed this year's the most. I say that even though I think it's taken me more completed rounds to gain a qualifying score of 54. I think it ended up as 40 completed 18s surpassing last year's heavy total round Pinehurst.

I love his course. A good mix of par 3s and 5s, plenty of opportunities for eagles and double eagles and greens that are testing but fair. Added to this there are ways of playing the more difficult holes to give yourself a better chance of making a birdie, you just need to discover them through trial and error.

All in all Chambers Bay is a really good addition to wgt and one that has got me playing again.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2015 5:45 PM

tiffer67:
    Added to this there are ways of playing the more difficult holes to give yourself a better chance of making a birdie, you just need to discover them through trial and error.

This will change in the VUSO finals, to be sure. The course plays much harder when all the holes are from the back tees and wind is added. You see this in AS matches as the wind defaults to moderate and all the tees are back. It is a much harder course and I believe a lot of players are going to be surprised.

I have heard there is a back door to the course for stroke play. You would be well advised to find it to see the difference before the finals.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2015 6:01 PM

YankeeJim:

I have heard there is a back door to the course for stroke play. You would be well advised to find it to see the difference before the finals.

I would do so Jim if I thought I could benefit from it hugely. You could give me a 10 shot lead before a ball was hit and I still wouldn't be in the running come round 4, there simply are way too many players that are way better than I am. I enjoy playing the qualifier, anything else is just a bonus :O)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2015 6:32 PM

tiffer67:

YankeeJim:

I would do so Jim if I thought I could benefit from it hugely. You could give me a 10 shot lead before a ball was hit and I still wouldn't be in the running come round 4, there simply are way too many players that are way better than I am. I enjoy playing the qualifier, anything else is just a bonus :O)

Well I shot a 55 with some obvious good fortune v early doors, and in my case hope that holds as will avoid the grind for change at this to qualify:)

The back door route is a good option, and worth a look.  I expect some varying conditions, and I also know that qualifying is as far as I aim.  The leaders will be banging in low 50s and in my wildest dreams in brand new conditions, including green speeds, I don't expect it to be close and that's after R1, LOL.  Not talking myself out as will try, rather just realism :)...Well done for qualifying though Tiffer and all, no gimme score to do so even in these conditions.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2015 5:13 AM

Thanks Jim, likewise congrats to you also, 55 will definitely qualify.

My previous comment was me merely being realistic. 4 rounds really does sort out the men from the boys, it's not something you can fluke to win. I used to play this game 6 hours a day and I couldn't get close to the top guys then over the 4 round format. No chance of being able to do so when I don't play 6 hours a week now.

It's the old saying about monkeys and typewriters, give enough of them enough time and they'll write a play of Shakespearian quality. Well give me the motivation and unlimited goes at it and I'll eventually get a qualifying score :O)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2015 5:51 AM

tiffer67:
    6 hours a day and I couldn't get close to the top guys then over the 4 round format. No chance of being able to do so when I don't play 6 hours a week now.

Realism only here as well :)  I also know I have a very long history of zero practice rounds, zero notes and also zero intention of changing that.  I will turn up R1 finals not having looked at the course seriously since week 1 of the qualifiers in all likelyhood, and I am fine with that.  

To those who want to practice hard my best, and same to those with good skill.  Perhaps my very best to to those with good skill and the practice in :)

• TarheelsRule
    5,486 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 7:59 AM

In reading some of the latest posts, I noticed that a few comments were about different yardage than the Qualifying.  I have played a few rounds on the stroke play which has very different yardage than our qualifying.   However last year at Pinehurst, WGT did not vary the hole distance, only the green speed and wind.

Do we anticipate that the holes will be played at different lengths this year?   I haven't seen anything from WGT that indicates that.   If that is true it definitely would change the way that I approach my practice.

If anyone has any info, let me know.

Thanks.

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 9:13 PM

Would be nice if we saw a few different hole locations like in the real US Open

RSS