Forums

Help › Forums

Chambers Bay US Open Qualifier

Wed, Jul 1 2015 4:48 AM (78 replies)
  • roaddawgstyle
    305 Posts
    Fri, May 1 2015 4:29 AM

The qualifier round is from the yellow tees(baby tees), and WGT  has shat the bed one more time.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2015 11:48 PM

A couple of holes have been moved forward (like the 1st which is very hard to reach from 560 yds) - most are from the back tees.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2015 11:56 PM

Consider that also lower tiers should have some fun in this competition - not so easy if frequently stuck short of the FW with Starter equipment...

The finals won't show such concerns IMHO - qualify!

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2015 7:28 AM

Also please note that one of the par 5's has been converted to a par four for the US Open this year.   If you remember back to Pinehurst last year, the USGA showed distances on some holes that were never used, for example the 4th hole, the 560 yard par four was never played from that length in the US Open and I believe that there were 2 or 3 other holes that didn't play to the full length.

All in all a good fun course, the scores won't come as easy when the restart button goes away for the single play in the Open.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2015 8:16 AM

roaddawgstyle:
    The qualifier round is from the yellow tees(baby tees), and WGT  has shat the bed one more time.

As I see it, WGT did a good job with the set-up. It is such that one is able to labor freely to experiment and learn the personality of a brand new layout that, it seems, accommodates the vast variety of skill and equipment as best that could be done while still offering a qualifying competition for a chance to be a part of the most important event in WGT existance.   ~ SP ~

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2015 9:00 AM

SweetiePie:

roaddawgstyle:

As I see it, WGT did a good job with the set-up. It is such that one is able to labor freely to experiment and learn the personality of a brand new layout that, it seems, accommodates the vast variety of skill and equipment as best that could be done while still offering a qualifying competition for a chance to be a part of the most important event in WGT existance.   ~ SP ~

I think so too SP.  If they made it harder the qualifying would move maybe to 57 / 58, but roughly speaking same people would do it, just that a few less might play it.  Treat it for what it is and just enjoy learning it as presented, go the back door and play it in RR mode or don't bother - easy.  

• Sande1
    6 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2015 1:32 PM

I really like WGT for how good they have made the courses and the realism of the play.  But I really think it is silly when you need to shoot a 57 to qualify for a tournament.  That is not real.  I have been playing for years and never visited the forum before.  But I have to imagine that those who shoot these ridiculous scores have some sort of cheats.  Am I wrong?  I know you can pay for the best equipment to improve your chances at scoring but it can't just be that.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2015 2:43 PM

Sande1:
    But I have to imagine that those who shoot these ridiculous scores have some sort of cheats.  Am I wrong?

I'm not saying that some don't use cheats, I'm sure there are many, but I still think it's the minority cheating and the majority playing straight up.

Think of WGT vs Real Golf

If a Player had one of those club testing machines where all he had to do was aim it, insert a club, set the power and hit the start button...don't you think you would see many sub 60's IRL? 

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2015 4:37 PM

Sande1:
    I really like WGT for how good they have made the courses and the realism of the play.  But I really think it is silly when you need to shoot a 57 to qualify for a tournament.  That is not real.  I have been playing for years and never visited the forum before.  But I have to imagine that those who shoot these ridiculous scores have some sort of cheats.  Am I wrong?  I know you can pay for the best equipment to improve your chances at scoring but it can't just be that.

1. Like Mike said, some do (and the rest of his post is also true)

2. As far as the gear goes, the difference between the best and yours is at least 5 strokes per 18 holes, maybe more.

3. You've been a member for a long time, but don't really play that much. I've played more rounds in the last 3 days (not as much as the best here do though) than you've played this whole calendar year. Maybe that's why you think 57 and under needs to have cheating involved. I posted a 57 on my 4th attempt (no restarts), now I'm enjoying a very limited amount of time, before this score won't make the cut any more and I'll have to try to better it (I hate grinding it out in unlimited tourneys).

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2015 10:24 PM

Sande1:
    Am I wrong?  I know you can pay for the best equipment to improve your chances at scoring but it can't just be that.

As others have said you are wrong.

For reasons (probably a mixture of play amount and equipment) your scores are so way off the mark, and simply too way far off to even call it.

56 or under is v achievable without cheating.  Not easy, but with the right kit and knowledge can be done.

RSS