Forums

Help › Forums

The big Fight

Thu, May 7 2015 1:32 AM (105 replies)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 12:55 PM

SweetiePie:
    It is tragic that Duran is an old man...in his day he would "whack" the snot out of both of them. ;-}

'Manos de Piedra' indeed....

-----------------------------------------------------

Hopefully a Pacquiao win but I fear the worst....

Up for a sleeve bet on Manny tho  :-)

Andy

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 1:21 PM

ROBERTO !!

Nice clip Andy..really cool ! Gotta dig the dude, urchin trash from the streets of Panama who if it wasn't for low class, he would have no class at all...perfect fit for that kind of work ;-}

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 1:34 PM

alcaucin:

SweetiePie:
    It is tragic that Duran is an old man...in his day he would "whack" the snot out of both of them. ;-}

'Manos de Piedra' indeed....

-----------------------------------------------------

Hopefully a Pacquiao win but I fear the worst....

Up for a sleeve bet on Manny tho  :-)

Andy

Gonna be great!  i also have Manny , 7th round TKO :) ..                                                         Oh  &   Roberto Duran was fierce BUT, until he ran into Sugar Ray Leonard!!  then he became Mr " NO  MAS !! "

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 2:43 PM

1enigma1:
    Oh  &   Roberto Duran was fierce BUT, until he ran into Sugar Ray Leonard!!  then he became Mr " NO  MAS !!

Duran was a better fighter than Leonard.  He whipped him good the first fight, and only lost the rematch because he was grossly out of shape and basically didn't want to be there.  It's pretty common consensus that he only stepped in the ring to get a paycheck and slink away into obscurity.  He didn't say "no mas" to Leonard; he said it to his career.  Those two fights set him for life, and could live like a king for the rest of his life in Panama.

• rollone
    772 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 2:55 PM

fight of the century BWAHAHAHAHAHA....whatever...

now this was a FIGHT!

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 3:57 PM

I watched all 4 of those fights 2-3 times apiece...if ya know anything about scoring a fight 1 was a close draw that I gave to Manny because his punches were harder, and Manny lost the other 2 they gave him IMO, and a million other fans...

When I said this would be it for both, I meant this matchup be it 1 or 3 fights...if it is a good fight I agree with Dave, there will be a rematch...I just don't think it will be a good fight, Manny has a hard straight left but telegraphs it, Floyd will get off 1st or counter it all night just like JM did, only Floyd hits a lot harder...keep in mind Manny started his career fighting at 106 lbs.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 4:14 PM

MichaelStroke:

Those two fights set him for life, and could live like a king for the rest of his life in Panama.

Duran was broke less than a decade after those fights, fought until he was 50, and still works to this day...lol

That said, he was one of the 5-6 alltime best fighters in his day, I was a huge fan...

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 4:16 PM

SweetiePie:

ROBERTO !!

Gotta dig the dude, urchin trash from the streets of Panama who if it wasn't for low class, he would have no class at all...perfect fit for that kind of work ;-}

I have never seen a World Champion fighter that grew up filthy rich...LOL...Skiers maybe!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 4:38 PM

fatdan:

SweetiePie:

ROBERTO !!

Gotta dig the dude, urchin trash from the streets of Panama who if it wasn't for low class, he would have no class at all...perfect fit for that kind of work ;-}

I have never seen a World Champion fighter that grew up filthy rich...LOL...Skiers maybe!

Ha....ain't it the truth. The Ivy League flunks-out. Crap, you have to dig deep to find anything....Pudge Heffelfinger from Yale is about all but that was football LOL

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 4:45 PM

Roberto "Hands of Stone" Duran,full name Roberto Durán Samanieg in my opinion pound for pound in the top 5 of all time,one of only 2 boxers to fight in a span of 5 decades and won world titles in 4 different weight classes,matched up with Manny or Floyd in his prime would have beat them both easily,,possibly in the same night LOL,,,,,his personal life style,strife and mental demons were a hindrance but he still managed to construct one of the  best and most impressive records in boxing history........in his first Leonard fight he did what no one had done before he (Duran) was past his prime and still beat the crap out of Leonard,in their second fight Leonard knew he wouldn't win fighting traditionally (like a man toe to toe) so he put on his tutu and danced the night away,a ploy Cassius Clay used in most of his fights,dancing and holding,,blah blah blah,,,, hate that kind of fight......Before moving up in weight classes as the light weight champion Duran amassed a 62 and 1 record,defending his title 12 times with 11 coming by knock out,,Durán gave up the Undisputed Lightweight Championship in February 1979.to move up in weight classes..................

RSS