Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT April event: Bethpage

Wed, Apr 29 2015 8:33 PM (88 replies)
  • jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 5:19 AM

Might be a good idea to equip the clubs, and do a practice hole, just to see what you're equipped with.

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 2:23 PM

Could really have been a whole lot better.. Putted really well without anything dropping..     Left a 37 ft at #4 2' short high and missed birdies at 6 and 8 from inside 10 ft..  Couple of brainfarts at 9 and 10 cost 3 shots(2 more than it should have) and a 2 footer miss at 15 brought a double.. 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 7:53 PM

Sounds like a super irons-round Razza. Bad luck not to post a better score... :(

This is one set-up where you certainly need a hot putter. Very, very little margin for error on all-round play with this course.

--------------------

Just a reminder to anyone still out there (myself included) still to post for R1.

Tournament entry closes tonight @ midnight WGT time, so there's only about 4hrs left from the time of this post!

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:58 PM

I'm in with the pre-Corwyn lead.  I played most of the round with the wind at my back and made more than my share of putts.

I have to play on my laptop in order to get green dots that I can trust on my desktop, so no Twitch until WGT rights the ship.

1 Tailwind, and a nice approach...if it was to the back pin.  missed a 40 footer.

2 Had a chance for bird with the L-R wind off the tee, but missed late into the rough,  Approach short and left, didn't handle the light yellow lie very well, recovered with a 25 footer.  I think my whole round might have been quite different had I missed that one.

3 Tailwind, hit 170 FBS which barely carried on and rolled past, missed a 14 footer.

4 Tailwind, shorted my third into the bunker, no way to stop the out.  Sunk a 22 footer for the save.

5 tailwind made it possible to play to the back of the green, nice pitch off a slight downhill for a gimme par.

38 foot birdie!

7 headwind, left with 140 yards to the right front pin for my third, to 6.6 feet and a relatively easy par for that hole.

8 missed early and almost off the green left, missed 19 footer.

9 Boomed a 244 yard drive in the tailwind, missed well short and right into the island of rough in the bunker, couldn't stop the up again, missed a 25 footer.

10 laid up, missed left, missed a crazy breaking 7.2 footer by a full foot low.  Bogey streak!

11 a simple u&d save from the front.

12 another tailwind, approached with 170fbs, got lucky with the bounces through the fairway and the rolol up the green, made a 12 foot curler.

13 another tailwind, yanked it into the rough.  3H to 47 yards.  I must have hit a couple dozen mulligans in practice trying to get the roll right on this shot and never got it...it would either die on te fairway or roll well past.  Got lucky, although a little too far left for comfort.  Made a 6.5 footer.  Birdie streak! -1 for the round.

14 ideal L-R wind to back pin, a bit early off the tee, missed the 10-footer high.  That was probably the only stroke that I really lost on the greens.

15 Tailwind, and I birdied it once in practice, so why not try again?  Missed early into the left short bunker, botched the out still short, super choked LW for the bogey save.

16 straightforward u&d from 39 yards and 5.5 feet.

17 Tailwind, left pin, only option is to go long.  This leaves a significant downhill lie to a downsloping green:

I suffered from an overabundance of caution and left then pitch 21 feet short.  Fortunately it was dead straight from there and I dinged it.

18 landed my approach about as good as possible but it rolled to the back fringe.   Didn't hit it hard enough to compensate for the tough angle through the fringe.  Par for the hole and for the round.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 10:56 PM

Wow Ben! That is outstanding.

And it will be the post-Corwyn lead too, lol. I broke off at +4 after 11 earlier today, and have just come back to find not only a Chrome update but also an enforced new version of Flash as well. I'm finally able to log in but somewhat dreading what the game play might be like.

Off to find my ball on the 12th... 

• HIOSoon
    208 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 2:22 AM

Good competition, thanks

Couldn't reach fairway on #5 with 9mph headwind and can't fly the bunker on #12 even with an 11mph tailwind, hope that helps  ;-)

• FluffyGreens
    422 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 5:15 AM

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 6:59 AM

The leaderboard/entry links are now sending me to http://www.wgt.com/golf-tournaments/. Anyone else have the same problem?

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 7:33 AM

They all work for me, mm.

Try it from this one: 

http://www.wgt.com/golf-tournaments/stroke-play/tough-it-out-vt-event-bethpage-black-leaderboard.aspx?id=6eac5cf29b38417e9020a4740103dd60

Edit: hmmm... just noticed the current Flash problems thread, and Mags' comment: it seems like this issue is affecting all (?) links to tournament pages on the main site (since it's affecting the Tournaments page too. So, it must be an issue with compatibility with the latest Flash version (which I had to accept last night along with an enforced Chrome update). As this tourney doesn't have any other route in via the game client, we're reliant on this being fixed!

Also, Shockwave Flash is crashing on me with every other page load in the forums. Fun, fun, fun!

It clearly works for some: we have 5 scores posted for R2 already. Interestingly, all are better or tied with the players' R1 scores... so perhaps the lower wind and slower greens are doing enough to compensate for the longer tees.

Impressive to see our first under-par score of the tournament from FluffyGreens, with a 69, setting the early clubhouse target of 142.

Did you capture card/stats Fluffy?

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 7:42 AM

That link doesn't work either. I suspect it's related to the fact that Score History isn't showing up in anyone's profile at the moment. Hopefully it's temporary. I'll try it again this evening.

Re edit: The sidebar actually hasn't had any problems for me. I haven't updated Flash recently.

RSS