Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT April event: Bethpage

Wed, Apr 29 2015 8:33 PM (88 replies)
  • AdamK70
    433 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2015 7:51 AM

Disappointed, I couldn't match what I know I can do in practice. Only thing of note was avoiding any 3 putts.   Expecting better in round 2.

Adam

• akash1592
    322 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2015 1:00 PM

Best score yet in TIO, improving my previous 72 at kiawah,   a 71 here at Bethpage. 

Highlight - i figured out the Lob wedge, which was the most utilied club in my bag, led to 8 par putt saves.  Putting was solid too, but its bethpage, you are expected to make those 10ft putts, but to leave yourself those putts, you got to be good with wedge. 

Only 6 greens hit, max someone can hit is 8 i believe, rest you have to lay-up. 

Good luck to those who still have to post their round.

Cheers

~kash 

• akash1592
    322 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2015 1:37 PM

fmagnets:
    And I see this event has also gone into my stats.

+1 

Me personally, don't have any problem for it going in my stats,  but just confirming Fmagnets point that it counted towards my stats as well.

Edit: For that matter, if it is going in my stats, why not my scoring history then ?

• BIGAL123
    201 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2015 4:35 PM

I had fun shooting a 93 -  LOL

TOP TEN Reasons why -

10. Wanted to feel like Ben Crenshaw at the Masters

9. I thought the putter scale was in yards.

8. Grabbed Phil's clubs by mistake and had to play left handed.

7. Forgot to turn off the auto caddy.

6. Missed all of the fairways, oops no, that was Tiger.

5. Thought we were trying to get the HIGHEST SCORE.

4. Should not have switched to starter whiskey.

3. Plan on shooting a 40 in the next round to win this thing !

2. Tried to beat my FICO score.

and the number one reason was....................... - I STINK !!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2015 8:03 PM

I had very good luck with the wind, but couldn't take much advantage and settled for a 76. Missed short par putts on 1, 2, and 16, and birdie putts inside 10 feet on 13 and 14. The only birdie I bagged was on 5.

It didn't feel like a great round tee to green, but if Kash is right that only 8 greens can be hit, I had a perfect round.

Incidentally, this must have been the first time in at least a year that I've seen the left pin location on 17. If I were smarter I'd have played to the right anyway and tried to two-putt.

No replays as I didn't hit any replay-worthy shots.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2015 10:48 AM

fmagnets:
    And I see this event has also gone into my stats.

akash1592:
    +1 

Me personally, don't have any problem for it going in my stats,  but just confirming Fmagnets point that it counted towards my stats as well.

Edit: For that matter, if it is going in my stats, why not my scoring history then ?

I asked Shoe about these issues, and about the EZ Swing problem.

We will all have to be extra careful when equipping clubs, as it seems that the EZ Swing clubs are classified as 'Starter' clubs as well. Shoe replied that he set up the tourney correctly to require 'Starter equipment' (but it is certainly a blow to learn that they cannot be distinguished from each other in a restricted-only event). 

We will have to trust that no-one will actually attempt to use EZ Swing clubs in these tourneys.

(Mags: I caught up with your R1 vid. It was nice to see that you avoided use of the EZ Sand Wedge even when that put you at a big disadvantage. [Can't you spare any of your enormous winnings on a snazzy bag, and load up the starters as one of your sets? It's a lot easier!])

On the subject of stats, apparently the only variable under Shoe's control is whether or not the final score counts towards average. He can set it so that it doesn't, but if it is to be a genuine tournament, he can't prevent the other stats being affected. 

---------------------------

Just 2 days left to post a first-round score in this tourney... 

Some very impressive rounds already in the clubhouse (Ian and Kash's 71s, and Mags' 72 at the top of the tree)...

... but several top players still to play. Will anyone manage to shoot par in R1?

P.S. Thanks for your great post BigAl! Glad you had fun!

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2015 12:01 PM

Avoiding the use of any EZ swing club is no disadvantage at all - it is essential, regardless of the tournament rules. Maybe you have forgotten what they play like, but I can still remember from when I started playing a few years ago. Their precision is totally non-existent, and they could go in absolutely any direction. Even 1 foot putts can go off sideways. There is no way any sane person would choose a shot with an EZ club if there were any other option!!

Re. bags: I believe they only have 4 slots? I need way more than that, so unless WGT brings out something properly useful I was not intending to get one. Maybe I'll reconsider now though. Or maybe I will fluke a top 5 again and Shoe can get me one instead of a sleeve! ;-)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2015 12:31 PM

Thanks Mags. I don't believe I ever used EZ Swing clubs. I couldn't see the point when I first started. I had played Links LS many years ago, and so already had some notion of making several clicks to complete a swing. Just setting power (which is what I believe EZ does?) didn't seem worth playing that way.

It's good to know it wouldn't confer any advantage.

Re Bags: yes, they have just 4 slots... and yes, I've seen you on Twitch changing clubs for specific courses or CTTH challenges.

And when you "fluke" a top 5 almost every month, I don't think anybody could call it a fluke, lol! You're the most consistent player on the Tour. (Bandon: 6th E; RSG: T3rd +2; Kiawah: 2nd -3). Your R1 score here of just +2 was your worst score relative to par so far!

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2015 9:49 PM

A solid round without making a putt. Note my longest made putt was 4.8ft.

Only had 1 miss-judgement on #7 where I thought my driver could carry the bunker but didn't and cost me a bogey on the par 5 hole #7.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 1:37 AM

There are no screenshots, cause I never bothered to learn how to make them. But it was a fun round, frustrating as hell (but that's how we like it). But the 81 could've been much better, if not for 7 missed 5 footers (the easy ones, with almost no break). It's not the UEL and starter clubs that gave me problems, not a stranger to them.

It's the dang putter. I miss ding to aim, so the different forgiveness level of the starter putter means a totally different clicking point on the meter. So with miniscule breaks, it's tough to click only a hair late or early, cause that's what is needed. Ding or 1 mm late or early will always result in a miss ;-)

Can't wait for round 2, hopefully I can adjust by then ;-)

Edit: I checked the leaderboard and looks like I scored the same as Tess. All good now ;-)

RSS