Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:39 AM (121 replies)
  • Tamsach
    2,823 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:33 AM

Being my first time playing in this conditions, I'm quite satisfied. As always, it's also matter of luck. If you hit 70y iron and get a bounce running to 108y in ue rough, it's hard to make par! lol Tks for the opportunity, bye

• Daskino
    2,781 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 9:34 AM

Rounds slipped away from #12, and I was no more able to reach a green in regulation (except on #14, but I was in the lower side of the green and birdie attempt was short on hole)

Screenshots:

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 9:50 AM

anyone have the starter clubs mapped, i went in blind and had a bad round +13 i think, i had an 8 on the first, didnt know what to do with the putter, just the 2 birdies, i have no idea where the clubs land etc with these clubs and ball?

also is there any point using backspin with these clubs, does it do anything to the carry distance or anything?

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 10:47 AM

MartyFlanagan:

anyone have the starter clubs mapped, i went in blind and had a bad round +13 i think, i had an 8 on the first, didnt know what to do with the putter, just the 2 birdies, i have no idea where the clubs land etc with these clubs and ball?

also is there any point using backspin with these clubs, does it do anything to the carry distance or anything?

Hey Marty I play the starters a heck of a lot. First rule I use from the fairway is the irons will carry the distance of the next shorter club. ie... the 160 yard iron will carry 150 yards(the next shorter iron).  Once they hit the greens with full back spin they'll roll out to the rated distance in equal conditions, little wind and flat greens. Off the tee box like hitting to par 3's the irons will carry about 5 yards short of rated distance and the backspin almost works a little bit.  The 3H carries about 175-180 depending on wind and elevation then rolls out to rated distance.

One thing to keep in mind for this round one is green speed on every shot will roll out even further. The way I play these Tourneys is to try to only par each hole. I rarely go for the stick and I always over play the lies and side winds. RSG is an old course so playing short of the greens is always better than off the backs.

As far as the starter wedges I love them around the greens. I've practiced a heck of a lot with these clubs and they really work as long as you have the right frame of mind. Every shot will roll out a lot so we have to forget our good clubs and play a new(old) way. For Champ Speed greens I convert yards to feet and use my putting formulas for chip shots.

If you had shots carry way short it might have been from an uphill lie. They clubs really lose carry distance on up hills much worse than our good sticks. Adding 2 or 3 clubs becomes normal uphill. Also, down hill lies will carry at least a club short( remember that's nearly 2 clubs or 20 yards) then bound forward a heck of a lot. Bunkers eat up downhill lie shots here so playing to the sides of greens away from the pins can save strokes.

Like anything, it takes a lot of practice time to get used to these sticks. GL to everyone yet to play and thanks so much to the members who've taken one in the teeth already. Round two isn't going to be any easier. The extra yardage from the 3rd tees will be a major factor. Course management and simply saving pars is all we can hope for.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 10:56 AM

All good advice above, but one can't underestimate the mental aspect of this challenge. It is so easy to get frustrated and just give up.

For me I had so many 30 to 40 feet putts that just slid by, I kept saying to myself, "one will drop...one will drop", it never did, but staying positive is so important.

I was utterly exhausted after my round.

• 66anto66
    569 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 11:43 AM

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 11:59 AM
    @CerinoDevoti thanks for the info, i had an 8 on the first hole because of the putting but it wasnt a bad 18 holes for my first time with these clubs, i love playing uneven lies so it was good fun, just need a bit of practice
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 12:07 PM

Another crazy theory : -

As you zoom in ur 2nd shot on #9, what u see behind the green looking at the three chimney pots is Princes Golf Club. I was a member there for 7 years, but we played RSG a good deal as well.

RSG was photographed early in the morning by the looks of it, so if the fairway conditions are replicated here then that is why the ball does not  run into the nearest depression on the fairway, because the dampness of the dew is holding the ball up. On a hot summers day, mid-afternoon the ball just never stops rolling. But you usually end up on a level lie.

How many times have u seen a ball heading for the bunker , only for it to hold up  in the rough inches from the edge, ur next shot then is where ur feet are dangling mid-air.In real life that ball would always run into the bunker.

Not much of a theory I know, but it tells me that the WGT programming is not perfect by any means.

OeJ

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 2:19 PM

Started off really well with a 11 ft par on #1. #2 i went just too long and just kept hitting stupid putts. #3 i rammed in a bird and thats it. Only other positive was a members bounce on 16 too within 3 feet. I had plenty of chances for bird but couldnt make em. Pretty good round all in all, few mistakes but more on the second shot than anything

• Alex1321989
    378 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 3:18 PM

Game recently the uneven and I must say that this was a terrible experience. Joke, it was fun. The only problem is that I caught almost always against the wind and are almost never come in green with the second shot. But this is the game and it happens to everyone.

Ty for the tournament and the organization.

Gl to all players!

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/ :480:0]

Alex

RSS