Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:39 AM (121 replies)
  • akash1592
    322 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 3:49 PM

hey,

great concept, will play my round sometime tonight..

wish there was a better way to advertise this event, so you could get a lot more players playing..  i'm a regular at forums, these days, hence noticed it..  otherwise would have missed it for sure.

If WGT knows, about it, then they could advertise this event in the news area or something, just like the twitch messages use to pop up.. would be great to see other big players coming in to test themselves..!!

~ akash

• Ianzzz
    6,347 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 3:49 PM

Thanks Corwyn for making this again, good fun to get the starters out again.

Did not expect much but this certainly concentrated the mind on 11

46ft putt from fringe  (why does this not show on the stats - is it because it is from fringe?)

but other than not being able to hit enough fairways and only getting 6 GIRs, I am just glad that the putter kept going almost to the end. Now if only I could figue out what to do with a sideways lie.......

Thanks again and ready for round two, hopefully the less wind will help with the long Par 4s, might even reach a few !

Ian

• akash1592
    322 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 7:46 PM

Oh well.. what a round.. 78 (+8)

was was easily a 74,  ( shuda-cudda-wudda...lol ) ,  great f9,  then missed 2 - 4ft putts, and 4 putted on last..  was a good challenge,  makes you think.   My putting stat tells you all..  

Surprisingly, my meter was smooth, and actually hit so many dings. . not expected that with starter ball.  

P.S. also recorded the round, but ev1 will laugh on the putts, i missed lol.. they'll be like goddamn this kid had an even par round..  haha.   

GL with the your round guys.  and i hope to play tad better in later rounds.

~ kash

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:22 PM

What the hell, I never seem to get anywhere with practice.  I'll go live now.

Never really found the groove...

Jeremy, do you have anything you'd like to share with us?

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 9:52 PM

Good guessing and well-timed mishits work well.  That's about the only thing I can come up with.  I tried the usual yardage calculation on the first hole...and failed miserably with a bogey.  I went mostly on feel after that (y'know...hit it about yay-hard...and aim it over about there somewhere?).  Putting being the exception.

Mishit quite early on 6  (yeah, the standard 2-inches...but a guy can't really grumble when it was mishit to begin with, right?)   

Mishit quite early on 8  and  another mishit on 12  (not as early this time though)

It only took 15 holes...but I finally hit a good shot with the lob-wedge  (thought for sure it was going to stop in the fringe and then roll back)

Play safe on 18?  Why do that?  (I'd have bet good money that was going to roll down the hill...given that it was mishit early again 'n all...)

I definitely got a lot better result than I was hoping for on the first tee.  I'd have gladly taken 75 and called it a good day at that point.  Hopefully the luck's still there for the second round...

photo Corwyn-TIO-Front32_zpsaee13ea5.jpg

photo Corwyn-TIO-Back35_zps485e456e.jpg

photo Crowyn-TIO-Scoring_zps31e8cc42.jpg

photo Corwyn-TIO-Driving_zpsfb5e26b6.jpg

photo Corwyn-TIO-Approach_zps456c17fc.jpg

photo Corwyn-TiO-Putting_zps91dc6c15.jpg

That would be a yes Ben.  ;-)

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 10:25 PM

For the last couple of months I've been sponsoring UL tourneys at Bridgestone CC. For this week I've challenged my band of competitors to take this on. 

I'll only consider round one for my purposes and awarding of prizes. 

I'm just trying to get the participation up there. Great idea. 

I had a go at a practice round. Yeah. A couple of mulligans due to bunkers. Was pleasantly surprised by the putter. +1.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 10:29 PM

Wow, Jeremy! That's a very impressive score. Congratulations!

And it's really wonderful to see so many of you diving into this event. 

I'm a little overextended right now with the Ryder Cup wrapping up, so apologies for not following and replying to everything here...

but FYI akash: yes, I have asked Shoe if it's possible to get a pop-up site ad for these events. He said he would try but was doubtful given the VUSO coming up (that's a good sign, right!).

------------

Edit: Jimbeau, that's great news. Making this into a cc event as well is an excellent idea, and thank you so much for spreading the word!

• bluey403
    1,528 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 12:05 AM

I enjoyed my round, i've never really been into these games but was pretty happy with the round.

I have never screen shot before so cant display game details but saved a replay on the 7th, probably the best birdie i have ever made.

Looking forward to round 2,

Good luck

cheers

bluey403, Pete.

• SteveW65
    4,540 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 12:13 AM

Thinking of starting up a new career in lion taming after that! Another great idea Corwyn, thanks. Putting killed my round - and 4 bogeys to finish. Fun though :)

• stevepsheehan
    2,791 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 3:26 AM

Bogied the first two, but got it together after that. Until 13 that is, where a protracted battle with a bunker and some 60/70 rough undid me. After that, the mojo was gone, and it was all down hill.

Good fun comp though, and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the score ;-)

Steve

RSS