rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 25 2014 11:44 PM (53 replies)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 2:39 AM

SweetiePie:

alcaucin:
    ..bad love

I can't imagine anyone who understands a guitar or music better than Clapton...;-}

He strums a gud un for sure....

Sleeves sent so, as Alan said...

An interesting discussion could be had on the subject, feel free...:)))

Andy

• thecliffs
    364 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 3:49 AM

All artists mentioned above are superb players with their own style that's for sure. Check out an  artist by the name of Buddy Whittington on you - tube. He is well known in the U.S and in UK. Born and raised in Texas,U.S. he is one of the best rythm and blues players on tour  today. He has played with Eric Clapton and was Lead guitar for John Mayall for 17 years. He's a winner for sure.

Kevin

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 5:28 AM

alanti:
    EC is very fluid and more of a blues guitarist and plays with feeling rather than just being technical.

Exactly. By combining himself with his writing, singing, and his guitar, the trio become one instrument of music that has successfully been enjoyed for about 50 years. 

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 6:57 AM

alcaucin:

mkg335:

Full disclosure:  The above is a variation on the poem "Negative Clank" from a collection called Rommel Drives on Deep into Egypt by Richard Brautigan.

Had to google that ^^ Mark  ( doesn't happen often )

Thought provoking as per....

Back 'in the swing' now, we play soon...

Andy

Have always dug that poem, and Brautigan in general, figured he'd be someone you'd dig if you hadn't already.  Glad you're back in the swing and looking forward to more golf lessons, since you've pretty much had my number from day one.

:-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 7:12 AM

Speaking of guitarists, here's one I bet most of you haven't heard...search youtube for Scotty Anderson and you'll find gems like this:

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 7:19 AM

i have really been getting into Joe Bonamassa lately ...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 7:34 AM

alcaucin:

SweetiePie:

alcaucin:
    ..bad love

I can't imagine anyone who understands a guitar or music better than Clapton...;-}

He strums a gud un for sure....

Sleeves sent so, as Alan said...

An interesting discussion could be had on the subject, feel free...:)))

Andy

Oh My God ! Yipee! Free Balls ! I Thank you ! I Blush ;-}

Incidently, Jose Feliciano is no slouch

Thanks Andy

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 7:39 AM

alanti:

dedBuNNy:
    I like his music don't get me wrong, but he's certainly not in the same class as any of the above as far as playing ability and mastery of the instrument.

I will not derail the thread, but all guitarists listed have different styles. You can't say one is better than another. EC is very fluid and more of a blues guitarist and plays with feeling rather than just being technical.

But would make a darn good discussion in a new thread!!

Yes it would, if just to see who like whom as far as musical tastes etc. 

Actually, as a musician myself (drums & bass), if you read what I wrote, I didn't use the phrase 'better than' anywhere. That is such a ridiculous discussion, defining better when talking about guitarists is like saying "He's the best artist/painter in the world" Guitar playing/music is art and art is subjective. 

Can one/artist have 'mastery' over and within the discipline? Absolutely. I don't think EC would ever argue that he doesn't have the same overall skills on the guitar as say Steve Vai or Paco De Lucia, I mean who the hell does?  He plays 'his' style within his ability, again it's not about 'who's the best', that's an idiotic 3 am house party yelling match between 15 hammered as sh*t crazies. 

Personally I like so many types of music I could never say which or whom I prefer over one or the other.

Sorry to whoever started this thread.... didn't mean to hijack it...  > < 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 8:02 AM

dedBuNNy:
    is like saying "He's the best artist/painter in the world"

Well, it is. Vermeer

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Oct 23 2014 8:26 AM

SweetiePie:

dedBuNNy: