Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Sep20-Oct13

Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:57 PM (366 replies)
  • BigKnight
    2,777 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 10:22 AM

photo rc1_zpse81a7dd2.png: photo rc2_zpsfb508334.png

Jon and I just finished our singles match....

Jon wasn't on his usual A game....and I was playing well

1) halved with birdies AS

2) I was 6 feet, Jon's approach trickled off the right edge...fabulous chip from him, but I made the birdie USA 1up

3) both inside of 8 feet, but Jon had that nasty left to right slider that just missed...I made USA 2up

4) headwind...both on in 3 Jon's par putt just slid by USA 3up

5) another headwind...3rd shots with NASTY lies from about 60....Jon's ALMOST flew into the cup, but spun off the green...I was fortunate to hit a solid shot to about 8 feet...Jon's severe uphill chip went a little long and he missed for par..i was happy to 2 putt USA 4up

6) I tried to play safe and pulled it...caught the green and had a 50 footer...Jon held the right side with a BEAUTY and was about 10 feet out...we both 2 putted USA 4up

7) Jon smartly played to the middle...I dinged mine, but didn't aim far enough left...pitched from bunker...but Jon drained a cracker of a putt USA 3up

8) Jon's approach was online but just off the front edge...I bounced one on to about 17 feet...his chip and my birdie putt both missed USA 3up

9) both hit tee shots pin high 12 feet left of cup...Jon turned the screws by holing his downhiller..i was able to answer USA 3up

10) with the tailwind I was 50 yards away after 2 shots...Jon was 36... my fuller shot in managed to stop 3 feet away...Jon's took the extra bounce and unfortunately trickled off the back...USA 4up

11) I nailed my approach to 3 feet...Jon had a great answer, just 9 feet below the cup, but he just missed the birdie USA 5up

12) I was shot of the green, and Jon was on about 18 feet (I think) my chip stopped 1 inch away....same place his putt stopped USA 5up

13) I hit a beauty into 1.5 feet... Jon with a brilliant answer to 2 feet USA 5up

14) Jon hit another beauty of an approach to just outside of 3 feet...I played a tad to conservatively and left it 17 feet short...but made the birdie to close out the match...

Bigknight def Jsweetcr 5&4

Thoroughly enjoyed our match Jon, you are a true gentleman anda great player :)

cheers, and go USA!!!!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 11:26 AM

USA wins the 2014 Virtual UEL Ryder Cup....Congratulations USA! :-)

Thanks a lot again to all involved in the tournament, especially Corwyn for keeping the tournament going smooth & keeping up with schedules, forms & result tables.

Eric

pt. pitty, I would have loved to play the unfinished match with Russ even tho starting at hole 8 with 2 down!,. perhaps I was not me the alternate to play it anyways lol....hope there is a next time for a match Russ, regards mate.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 12:01 PM

Eric, that may still happen if you want to play (you are ROW's first alternate). I say it's up to Russ if he wants to play the match, and I think he does. It would be nice for the sake of completion.

I understand you have an unbeaten UEL Ryder Cup record, and Russ is 2-0 in this event as well!

--------------------

Cerino and I finished a little while ago...

We were both pretty bad early on, indeed the opening hole was amateur hour... I went in the sand on the right, then onto the green and rolled off again, then pitched close... to 15ft! But sunk the unlikely par putt for a half.

I should have birdied the 2nd after a trademark 3W layup off the tee to leave perfect distance fbs 3W for 2nd, which I stuck to 8ft but somehow allowed the putt to drift by.

We both birdied 3 with Cerino knocking it stiff, but me playing another awful 2nd, and only saved by sinking another curling 13 footer.

On #4 it was Cerino's turn to bounce around, finding a horrible lie in the short right bunker with his 2nd, then rolling through into the left greenside bunker with his 3rd, then over the green with his 4th. With me on the dance floor at the front in 2, Cerino conceded. ROW 1 UP.

Two lovely mid-range birdie putts on #5 kept it at 1 up for ROW, and then with a tricky wind on #6, I played safe left of the pin, while Cerino resumed his ping-pong game, finding a hideous downhill lie in the right bunker and escaping over the green again. He pitched to 6ft but with 2 putts for the hole, I only needed one. ROW 2 UP.

Then I started missing the ding, a bad pull on #7 approach left me 17ft away and I completely misread it. Cerino birdied after leaving himself in position A, 7ft short left. ROW back to 1 UP.

On #8 I had another push and missed from 20ft short right, while Cerino went 9ft long, and his curling trickler just caught the edge of the cup to drop for another birdie. A/S

On #9 I dinged my tee shot in response to Cerino sticking it to 5ft, but caught the wind vortex or something and was surprised to be 13ft away. That one I made. Hole halved with birdie 2s.

#10 I made a mess of my 3rd pushing it well right, and then misreading another one. Cerino had left himself 10ft short and sunk it beautifully. USA 1 UP.

#11 I dinged my approach and thought it was perfect but I must have miscalculated and it came up 3 yards short. Again Cerino was inside me to 5ft. Mine curled away at the death, his was firmly in. USA 2 UP with Cerino's 5th birdie in a row.

#12 I almost got my run up shot just right but it ran a touch long and just left enough to roll off the green. Cerino's 2nd came up short but stuck 18ft away. I pitched to 2ft, Cerino missed. Halved in par.

#13 My punch into the wind looked just right, but ran on 6ft past, not the place to be. Cerino left his 15ft short but nailed the putt. I had a fractional late click on my attempt and it slid by. USA 3 UP!

#14 A slight pull on my 2nd left me 14ft short, but I made my bird. However, it was easily answered by Cerino who again had stuck his approach close for a 6ft answering birdie.

#15 This time a *** of light, as Cerino's tee shot was well left, 20ft pin-high. I dinged a beauty which sat 8ft below, but after his miss, I somehow didn't give mine enough power and watched it curl away at the last. Ugghh...

#16 Now dormie, Cerino played another beauty from a black-box lie to be 11ft short right. I pushed mine and despite this valiant attempt at birdie from 31ft, knew it was all over. Cerino underlined his classy display by rolling in the putt for his 8th birdie in the last 10 holes.

So, I was soundly hammered! Super play Cerino, and congratulations to Team USA on a very impressive display!!!

Team USA are the Ryder Cup Winners!

Overall Score with 1 (now perhaps 2) matches left to play: 
    Team USA 13.5 - Team ROW 8.5

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 12:01 PM

Makes it easier now the result isn't in doubt. Just play a match Eric v Russ starting from hole 1 and enjoy!

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 1:18 PM

Congrats to team USA for bringing back the trophy at home!

I'm with Phil right now and he says Captain Russ had a plan and he keeps blaming the other captain...what's his name yet?

To all of us, congrats for having been so dedicated to make this event such a great one. All the motivation and the effort of everyone here to play in time were awesome. Of course, again and again, special thanks to Corwyn. My friend, you can give a rest to your heart now and put it back at the right place!

As a frenchman, I wish I could play as well as Dubuisson in the real event. Unfortunately, when I was 12 I had to go to school and graduate if I wanted to eat something. Now, when I look at his success and mine, maybe I'll let my kids doing whatever they want  lol

Other special thanks to mags...for some reasons, I still can't sit since we've played our game!!! The day before, Wes told me: "You can fight with him, match play is your format". Yeah right! Doctor said it will still hurt for couple of weeks and he gave me some cream to apply on my "low back". Thanks for this mags.

Guys, I can't wait to play with all of you again, it was a lot of fun! Bravo to all the ROW team members for being so fair-play and again, great ride US team mates!!!

Last words: GO GIANTS!!!!!

Fred

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 5:04 PM

Congratulations to BigKnight and CerinoDevoti for their Ryder Cup single victories, which ensured the victory for USA Team.

Including these 2 matches there were several other singles matches that I thought were toss-up/pick'em matches, and was thrilled we won more of those than the ROW Team.

Go USA

I was very impressed with the scheduling of matches and everyone (both USA and ROW players/teams) taking the time and consideration to be there for the matches. This Ryder Cup went very smoothly which is also a testament to Corwyn and the time he put into organizing this Ryder Cup tournament. 

I just sent LOLserver a friend request and we will try to schedule an 18 hole match for this weekend.

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 5:20 PM

Congratulations USA on a hard fought victory.

Also a big thank you to all of those players that took part in this years event.  It was a logistical nightmare getting overlapping times for all to play but everybody tried their best to be accomodating.

Thanks  for organizing this Corwyn, it was a pleasure to be involved once again, I know how big this event has become, due to the number of players who attempted to qualify, and the posts in the forum from those not involved but who expressed their support for their team.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 6:01 PM

Corwyn:

So, I was soundly hammered! Super play Cerino, and congratulations to Team USA on a very impressive display!!!

Team USA are the Ryder Cup Winners!

Overall Score with 1 (now perhaps 2) matches left to play: 
    Team USA 13.5 - Team ROW 8.5

Hey Corwyn thanks for giving the play report. Kinda funny reading it because I don't remember much of the match.(8 birdies in the last 10 holes?) It's like someone else was playing you. I was working while we played and really didn't pay much attention to the match as we went along. I just hit when it was my turn. I figured I was just showing up to take my beating and I'd move on but I suppose I played ok. Sorry again for not much meaningful conversation but I just couldn't help it.

~CD~

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Oct 10 2014 2:18 AM

ColumbusStorm:

I just sent LOLserver a friend request and we will try to schedule an 18 hole match for this weekend.

Thanks for the friend invite Russ. The tournament is over but I believe it is a valuable thing to finish it properly although a forfeit in the middle of a match is a forfeit!!! & ROW lost the match...besides ALL IS ONLY FOR FUN :-)

& thanks for allowing me to play this match.

I'm easy m8, no princesses this weekend :-). just not in the middle of the night/morning here lol. See the availability chart (you have it) and tell me when you ready.

GO ROW GO!!....err, GO REAL MADRID GO!!

Eric

• BigKnight
    2,777 Posts
    Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:23 AM

stevereilly:

Congratulations USA on a hard fought victory.

Also a big thank you to all of those players that took part in this years event.  It was a logistical nightmare getting overlapping times for all to play but everybody tried their best to be accomodating.

Thanks  for organizing this Corwyn, it was a pleasure to be involved once again, I know how big this event has become, due to the number of players who attempted to qualify, and the posts in the forum from those not involved but who expressed their support for their team.

+1

Very happy to take part in my first UEL Ryder Cup and to get a victory against one of the best on WGT (made up for my slop in the alt shot lol)

look forward to the next one!

USA USA!!!!

RSS