Tue, Oct 7 2014 6:57 PM

ColumbusStorm vs BONALYAU

Hole 1: CS wins with bird

Hole 2: BONALYAU wins with bird

Hole 3: BONALYAU claims meter is stuttering. both par

Hole 4: both par

Hole 5: both par

Hole 6: CS wins with bird from 8ft

Hole 7: CS approach 2yds from pin. BONALYAU drives into rough, approach in bunker, bunker shot rolls back into bunker. BONALYAU forfeits match and immediately disconnects from WGT.

I'm willing to start the match again on hole #8. 

Corwyn:  Do you have a procedure or precedent for this situation?

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 7 2014 7:07 PM

No precise precedent for this, Russ.

Jean, are you still online? Do you want to take up Russ's very generous offer to resume from #8?

Please realize that your Team is counting on you. This is a critical match, and not to be abandoned lightly! If you weren't up for it, we could easily have scheduled an alternate, several of whom have been desperate to get in on the action.

Edit: Now that I look back at the last UEL Ryder Cup, I see that you also forfeit on the 8th hole in your singles match then too. Jean, I take a dim view of this, and would welcome some explanation from you...

(One option could be to start from #10, counting the score as 2 UP, and then if 2 more holes are needed after #18, then play the first 2 of a random 3 stroke.)

I'll just go look at the Guidelines in the event of interrupted matches, disconnects, no-shows, etc. as well...

Edit: our guidelines don't really cover forfeits because of bad meter; in writing them, we assumed that best efforts would be made to finish the matches. It's clear that Russ went out of his way to appeal to Jean to continue, and given that Jean could have tried again after a reboot but didn't even make that effort, I'm frankly at a loss. Russ is well within his rights to claim the match and avoid the hassle of trying to reschedule a continuation. And Jean's absence and lack of communication after this incident does not help his, or ROW's, situation. 

• BONALYAU
    191 Posts
    Tue, Oct 7 2014 7:51 PM
    Thanks... But I am willing to play ONLY when I will be sure that the speedmeter will be correct for both of us... 
    You see what happens : hole #1 a few inches in the rough (speedmeter ok but I didn't ding... in the other way...Why my ball go into the rough???? big mystery???
    Hole # 2 okish
    Hole #3 speedmeter jerky even in putting mode...
    Hole #4 the same
    Hole #5 seems better
    Hole #6 again jerky even in putting mode
    Hole #7 my ball went for a few inches again in the rough (I certainly didn't ding... but such a big gap, I didn't understand), then again jerky and in the bunker for a few inches, then completely jerky in the right, so I cannot exit the bunker... How should I do??? Continue to throw my balls away because impossible to play???
    Russ played very well, this is not the problem, and he will probably win even with equals chances ... He is better than me and I have not the same speedmeter than him... Why continue??? He wins,I surely cannot win in this conditions. Sorry
    Jean
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 7 2014 9:00 PM

BONALYAU:
    But I am willing to play ONLY when I will be sure that the speedmeter will be correct for both of us

Sorry Jean. You don't get to dictate conditions which are impossible to meet.

I wish you had just let us know ahead of the game, or stated to your opponent right at the beginning, that your meter was unplayable. In those circumstances, it would have been reasonable for Team ROW to bring in an alternate. 

However, it sounds from Russ's report that you were absolutely in the game, despite whatever meter issues you felt you were battling. 2 Down after 7 in an 18-hole match is nothing (after all, Mark almost recovered from a 4 down deficit).

As it is, the situation is a big let-down for our Team. 

:(

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Oct 8 2014 8:15 AM

Sorry ROW, I came out with all barrels blazing and went 3 up after 6 holes.  Slightly shell shocked to be honest against a player like Ross.

Then the lion woke up and gave this gazelle a good mauling I'm afraid.

Hole 1, halved with birdies.  Decent start for both of us.

Hole 2, Ross misses the green left but plays a great recovery to within 3 feet or so.  Then I sink a 20 something footer for the win.

Hole 3 we're both close and make birdie.

Right now I'm 3 under for 3.  What the hell is going on?

Hole 4 and Ross finds the bunker on the left side of the green with his second shot, I'm just short but on the up slope.   A lovely punch leaves a short par putt though.  Ross hits out well but from the sand 5 yards away is as good as it gets.  Another win for me.

Hole 5 and we both need 3 to get on, Ross having gone left and just short of the green and getting a nasty lie.  Both have pretty long putts that end with 2 pars for a half.

Hole 6, one of my least favourite but I stick it to within a few feet and make birdie.  Ross is slightly long and right, not nice but saves well and makes par.  3 up for ROW.

Hope 7,neither of us plays very well, pars for a half.

Hole 8 and Ross gets his approach spot on, a birdie and one back for Team USA.

Hole 9, we both hit good tee shots and half with birdies.

Hole 10 and the decline starts for me.  Indecision over the second shot, take a wood and risk finishing in the dip that runs across the fairway?  Take a 3 iron and leave a long approach?  Take the wood, hit the down slope of that dip and the ball shoots forward and into the rough.  My 3rd shot I'm too wary of going long and off the back, silly really, I have to go for it.  I end up with a huge putt from well short, Ross with a short one and the win.

Hole 11 and I think I'm getting one back when I hit my approach to 3 feet from the hole.  Ross is 7.9 feet away and makes it, halved with birdies again.

Hole 12 and I'm directly right of the hole, Ross right and long but a shorter putt.  I aim an insane amount up the green and the ball trickles down to right beside the hole.  Ross narrowly misses and we both have tap in pars.

Hole 13, I'm a bit long with my approach, Ross also but not quite as far.  Even bigger break than the last hole and again the ball stops right beside the hole.  Ross makes a superb putt though to go all square.

Hole 14 and my second shot lands just right of the hole, then the ball rolls off the green.  Ross moves in for the kill with a super approach that leaves no doubt about the birdie.  Now 1 under for ROW  : (

Hole 15 and again I land fractionally right, also a bit long and off the damn green it goes.  I had to take the risk as Ross' ball is sitting smugly very close to the hole.  2 down now.  : ((

Hole 16 and we both get on in 2 leaving medium putts.  Ross plays first and just misses.  I play it solidly, the ball goes in just off centre, does a full 180 and back out.  Looks like my luck has run out for the day.

Hole 17 and it's dormie.  Both play good tee shots, both make birdie but Ross takes the win 2 up.

Very well played Ross, especially after going 3 down so early. 

If only it had been a 9 hole match.......

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Oct 8 2014 9:52 AM

Wow, what a great match. Well played Ross, and bad luck Mainz. Quite the battle between you two Bridgestone clubmates!

Thank you for such a wonderful description, Mainz.

So, that leaves Team USA poised on the brink of victory...

Russ and I have been in discussion about what to do about his match, with me also realizing that Russ may well deserve the chance to play a proper match, rather than that abbreviated one. More on that soon..

but with Ross' victory, the Overall Score now stands at Team USA 11.5 - Team ROW 8.5

Team USA need just one more point from the remaining 3 (or 4) matches, and of course, already technically have it from Bonalyau's forfeit, if that stands.

• GolferDadRB
    1,079 Posts
    Wed, Oct 8 2014 6:10 PM

It was a terrific match and great fun.  Damian was as precise as ever.  Fortune turned my way towards the end of the front 9 or it could have been a very different result.

Always good to get together with old friends.  Even better when fortunate enough to put another in the Win column.

Thanks for the opportunity to represent the US.

Cheers

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Wed, Oct 8 2014 8:16 PM

Great match GolferDadRB. 

Thank you for being on the USA Team and (even though I do say so myself...lol) being such good captain's pick.

Go USA

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Wed, Oct 8 2014 10:09 PM

Corwyn:
    Russ and I have been in discussion about what to do about his match, with me also realizing that Russ may well deserve the chance to play a proper match, rather than that abbreviated one. More on that soon..

I for one (this is just my opinion and i don't get to voice those much w/ the gf and kids..they don't usually like my opinions) would rather see a full match played as it could bring unneeded controversy to the result. That in my view would be an unfortunate ending to this series that you guys have worked so hard to put together for us.

I appreciate the time and effort that all of the guys on both teams have made to get this done(esp. the Captains of both teams)!

Would definitely try to qualify again if you try to get another set of matches together as i love the challenge of uneven lies.

Rock

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:45 AM

Corwyn:

Team USA need just one more point from the remaining 3 (or 4) matches, and of course, already technically have it from Bonalyau's forfeit, if that stands.

Ugh?...how do you forfeit? in the Ryder Cup you forfeit only by giving up your game while playing the match (injured, sickness, etc.), is that what happen?

Fair enough to ask a new player to play the match, if the forfeit occurred before the match.

Well, not long before the Us wins it anyways...lol

GO ROW GO!!! 

Eric

edit...sry I hadn't read the issue about that match. 

The match is done in my opinion.

It is not the Us players fault that the other player has suddenly  technical problems with his game.

I have seen many times alike problems in match games and never ending with both players happy..... my two cents.

Eric

RSS