Forums

Help › Forums

Sandbag?

Mon, Oct 18 2010 2:33 PM (45 replies)
  • Rootz
    2 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 10:49 AM

Hello Golf players,

I read all over the forum Sandbag, sandbagging ... What's the definition of it?

Regards

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 1:15 PM

It is someone who intentionally shoots a bad round or rounds to inflate their average so that they look worse then the actually are.

More specifically, a golfer who artificially inflates his handicap index in order to better his chances of winning tournaments or bets.

Cheers

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 1:18 PM

in golf, a player is said to be sandbagging when he deliberately plays poorly until he establishes a handicap or average and then competes with this sandbagged average in match play or tournaments  to win money (credits) from his opponent or tournament A good example is say someone who has a 75 average and competes in a tournament and shoots a 65.

• griff207
    4 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 10:28 AM

How many strokes lower than your handicap can you shoot not to be considered a sandbagger? example.... I have a 72 stroke avg, if i shot 68 would that be considered sandbagging. I can just a eaisley shoot 77.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:14 PM

Intent is the everything here.  Your scoring average is the 10 best scores out of your last 14 rounds.  So a poor round (one a lot higher than your average), now and again, does not have much of an effect on your average.  The bottom line, as mentioned in the posts above, a player is Sandbagging when they intentionally shoot bad scores to give a false impression of their potential.

Joey     

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 3:05 PM

In golf, a player is said to be sandbagging when he deliberately plays poorly until he establishes a handicap and then increases his money bets on his play using the established handicap to win money from his opponent!! (how do i delete...its been said already...heyho!)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 3:50 PM

griff207:
    How many strokes lower than your handicap can you shoot not to be considered a sandbagger?

Do not worry about this. If you post all your scores your stats will tell the truth. You can tell guys that sand bag by looking at their stats. 31   32  31  72  32  30  75 is something you might see. That person is shooting big 18 hole scores to keep the average up there but shoots lights out in the 9ers, which might be tournaments.

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 4:48 PM

YankeeJim:
    You can tell guys that sand bag by looking at their stats. 31   32  31  72  32  30  75 is something you might see. That person is shooting big 18 hole scores to keep the average up there but shoots lights out in the 9ers, which might be tournaments.

I would say the good scores would have to be money tournaments or matchplays and more high scores in non-money games too to be a suspect. Too few won't have any effect (they'll be ignored by the stats) and getting good results for  non-money games won't help a sandbagger's cause.

Also, it doesn't seem to me that an 18-hole score counts more towards your average than a 9-hole so why would they waste time shooting poor rounds on them when poor 9-hole rounds would do just as well?

And also, people do try harder and concentrate more on money tournaments so I'm sure everyone will have most of their best scores on those and all of their worst scores on non-tournament rounds and I'm sure a variation of 15 from best to worst is not uncommon.

So, a more justified suspicion would be:

Tour Pro, Average Score 70, History:

• not a money tournament - 37
    • not a money tournament - 38
    • money tournament - 32
    • not a money tournament - 40
    • money tournament - 33
    • money tournament - 31
    • not a money tournament - 36
    • not a money tournament - 39
    • money tournament - 30
    • etc
  • Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 5:30 PM

VilaRestal,  I believe you have hit the nail on the head, if only WGT could see what we see and believe what we know is happening ! then the forums wouldnt be filled with the same things over and over! I believe they have the potential to be the BEST  GOLF GAME  ever they just have to listen to the honest playing masses and do what is right !!!!

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 6:46 PM

Stryder1261:
    , if only WGT could see what we see and believe what we know is happening ! then the forums wouldnt be

A story. Their is a player using a 80 avg am status for the last 9 months. He has the skill of a 60, and will mop you up in match by the time you see the 5th hole. If you want to message me, I will give you the name.

I reported this player about 6 months ago, and the reply I got from /wgt was "thank you and we will look into this". Now 6 months have elapsed, just went to his profile, and he is still keeping his 80 avg, and still wiping 60 avg out. SO you see, WGT does not want to fix the meter, do not want to fix the sandbaggers, and DO NOT WANT TO FIX QUITTERS, so as I have said before, you are wasting your time. THEY KNOW ALL ABOUT IT

RSS