Forums

Help › Forums

British Open

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:45 AM (82 replies)
  • WGTyphoon
    597 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 4:58 PM

Thanks for those who put up the live stream links. Appreciate it :)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 5:56 PM

WGTyphoon:

Thanks for those who put up the live stream links. Appreciate it :)

I was just thinking about this before.

Thanks to Wgt to start a few Comps in relation to The Open.  I know there is certain restrictions and the effort is always welcomed

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 7:28 PM

mantis0014:
    The Open is at St.Andrews next year.  We have the course so Wgt should start planning for it now.

Would be a perfect time to roll out that third set of pins they're sitting on :) I can't imagine the cut line using any of the pins we have now, after two months of unlimited tries, would be over 55.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 4:15 AM

Seems Mr. 'Bad weather' hasn't dampened the birdie rush from some players.

As I type Rory is the only one out there with an over par round on day 3 of The Open.....  things getting just that little bit tighter up top.

Smashing viewing.

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 12:40 PM

WigerToods2010:

As I type Rory is the only one out there with an over par round on day 3 of The Open.....  things getting just that little bit tighter up top.

Smashing viewing.

I think you may have spoken a bit too soon Johnny lol.

6 shot lead going into final round.

Russell

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 1:36 PM

russellfahey:

WigerToods2010:

Smashing viewing.

Russell

Merely commented on the state of things during the golf as they were 8+ hours prior to your reply, Russ.

The thinking was others would perhaps join in. Alas it wasn't to be.  

At that point there was one stroke in it with Rory needing a difficult putt to save par whilst Johnson & Fowler had bird attempts to close the gap - Rory made his putt, Johnson didn't, can't rem' now if Fowler did or not.

Rory's eagles on two of the last three makes a huge difference for tomorrow. #14 was a good hole for Mcllroy too - he made bird whilst Fowler stumbled to a bogey as he struggled over the closing holes.

Rory should go on and win it now.................... but will he? 

Therein lies the beauty of big time pressure golf.

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 2:58 PM

WigerToods2010:

russellfahey:

WigerToods2010:

Smashing viewing.

Russell

Merely commented on the state of things during the golf as they were 8+ hours prior to your reply, Russ.

The thinking was others would perhaps join in. Alas it wasn't to be.  

At that point there was one stroke in it with Rory needing a difficult putt to save par whilst Johnson & Fowler had bird attempts to close the gap - Rory made his putt, Johnson didn't, can't rem' now if Fowler did or not.

Rory's eagles on two of the last three makes a huge difference for tomorrow. #14 was a good hole for Mcllroy too - he made bird whilst Fowler stumbled to a bogey as he struggled over the closing holes.

Rory should go on and win it now.................... but will he? 

Therein lies the beauty of big time pressure golf.

I know you did mate,was gonna comment this afternoon whilst watching it at work :) but forgot.

I still think the last day will be a good watch regardless.It has been mentioned in another thread i think that Fowler chokes,maybe thats what happened today when he was tied for the lead,but Rory pulled off some very good shots,especially the long iron onto the last green was just something else.

Russell

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 3:12 PM

He overcame his personal Hell Friday, he survived a big surge by Rickie today - and "survive" is a weak wording for it.

Seeing him knock his well-known classy shots to the last greens leaves not a fraction of doubt in me about tomorrow's outcome!

His posture (and apparently his mindset) have matured well enough now for this well-deserved step!

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 3:18 PM

Hi Russ,

Yeah I remember the 'Fowler chokes' comment - thought it was a bit harsh considering his age and the fact he's done well last few Majors. Any American coming over here to tackle the links courses have my respect.

Thought the predicted thunderstorms etc would have played a bigger part today. Early on the rain was torrential, seemed to stop about a 1/2 hour in and held off till pretty much the end. R&A did well in changing the set up and having two tee off  points. 

Looking forward to tomorrow too. Chasing pack will be hoping Rory slips up and they themselves are playing well enough to take advantage.  

It's The Open Championship and past years have shown that anything can happen.

Rory will be slaughtered if he doesn't win though. Seems the way of it with the UK media.... build someone up to hero status and then sit like vultures awaiting their demise. 

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 3:27 PM

Just reading some stats there regarding Fowler ;

He's had 2 wins since turning professional and on each occasion guess who he pipped to 1st place??? 

Ya never know! LOL

RSS