Forums

Help › Forums

Thoughts please - New Tier Above Tour Legends?

Wed, Oct 22 2014 7:22 PM (179 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 3:06 PM

alosso:
    Thus, there are always better ones and lower ones - human faith you might say. Why care of differences in 1,200 TLs in this big game?

I suspect you mean human ability (fahigkeit) in the first sentence, if you do I agree completely and if you don't I apologise for misunderstanding.  

If you note the quote from WGTadmin2 at the top of my post:  

"The main issue we are trying to address is there is a huge disparity in skill among the Tour legends right now.  The whole purpose of the tiers is to group similar skill level together so you can have a fair and competitive game."  

What you have quoted from me is my honest answer to that.  It is not a question of being new to a tier the top players are simply better as, I think, we agree.

Your second sentence dismisses any problem due to the low number of TL's in the game, well as things stand this can/will/is only going up.  The other levels will remain roughly constant as percentages of people playing the game but TL only has people entering that tier. A new tier would do no harm to the ones below so why not help the "1,200" if it's feasible?

As to the skill difference applying to other tiers I reckon it is different as people significantly better will be promoted quite quickly, yes others will come through but that would be the same with TL if it became the second tier. So a new tier would create parity for the majority of TL's. 

I realise that It is probably true that some TL's outside the best players wouldn't want it changed as they enjoy being in the top tier, I'd think a minority.

I was not having a hissy fit, saying I'm not going to play the game any more or anything like that, it was just my opinion and some thoughts.  I am still going to play and try to get better, I may change the way I play (no tier based ready-go's and more weekly/monthly tournaments probably) but not the amount. 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 5:20 PM

DodgyPutter:
    The main issue we are trying to address is there is a huge disparity in skill among the Tour legends right now.  The whole purpose of the tiers is to group similar skill level together so you can have a fair and competitive game."  

Thing is, what I think you and many fail to understand, is as Alosso pointed out...1200 TL's..of those, maybe...I say maybe, there are a 100 who are just too danged good...so who';s crying for another tier? 

1100 other TL's that can't compete...well not all of them, certainly not me...but probably many who feel that players like Mags, Dan,BiB...etc...now need a new Tier...BS I say...they have played well, learned how to play...etc.

No reason those guys who "are just that effing good"...should have to fight it out among themselves, after fighting it to the top.

If you're (not you, speaking in the 3rd person) afraid to play in a TL RG...don't, play the Open RG's (like I do mainly)

Why...cause my 28 in todays TL Cabo, won't even get my entry fee back...but I'll still give it a go here and there..

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 6:56 PM

WGTadmin2:
    Help us think this thru

yeah , here's some help.

NO

Fix the Country Club/ Forums/ Members List/ Owners Options/ 

etcetera,

FIRST!

There we go, that didn't require much thought now did it?

Anything else you need help with?

.. you're welcome. 

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 7:04 PM

A New Tier could work if labeled correctly members would strive to attain it. At Saturated ave of 57 or lower have the ........................Bacon Tier.

Yes I wrote Bacon Tier. ;)

• wheresubin
    782 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 8:14 PM

Around 1200 TL's !   how many have saturated their average with 500 ranked rounds.

This is the reason for TL skill  disparity.   give them  a chance to  learn  the TL skill.  

No different  for lower tiers,  just less ranked rounds.

It ain't broken !  don't fix it !!!!      Time will tell.

When TL's  as a tier has an significant sample of saturated averages,  then ask the question.  Do we need  a new tier ?

In the meantime  there are plenty of other  area's to focus energies  as shown by the Idea's  posted in this thread.

Cheers,   wheres

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 9:29 PM

DodgyPutter:

alosso:
    Thus, there are always better ones and lower ones - human faith you might say. Why care of differences in 1,200 TLs in this big game?

I suspect you mean human ability (fahigkeit) in the first sentence, if you do I agree completely and if you don't I apologise for misunderstanding.  

I meant to say, better and lower skills, you got it right probably.

And, as MB stated more precisely, TL still is a small tier, thus dividing it might leave the group "at the top" too small for good fun & competition. Until now, there has not been a single proof that their situation is more severe than in lower tiers. Talk about the disparity between 10,000 Legends, between 50,000 TMs...

(numbers are guesses)

Now, to something completely different:

Unfortunately, this thread is further proof that the users' opinions is of no interest to the company - no contribution from this side after only four days (page 10), similar to another thread ("What piece of equipment...?") opened officially in parallel. I'd expect a resumee or a final TY when their needs are covered - hope was fruitless, again.

Company display is even worse in two further subjects of that time, asking for our opinions - no second posts there from the company, threads abandoned as new-borns ("Need your help" and "Putter increments...").

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 10:21 PM

alosso:

Unfortunately, this thread is further proof that the users' opinions is of no interest to the company - , asking for our opinions - no second posts there from the company

IKR, It may be that way, can you imagine 'cuz I was the first to respond to the OP and I'm still waiting !   lmao

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 3:34 AM

MBaggese:

Thing is, what I think you and many fail to understand, is as Alosso pointed out...1200 TL's..of those, maybe...I say maybe, there are a 100 who are just too danged good...so who';s crying for another tier? 

1100 other TL's that can't compete...well not all of them, certainly not me...but probably many who feel that players like Mags, Dan,BiB...etc...now need a new Tier...BS I say...they have played well, learned how to play...etc.

The quote at the top of your post was from WGTadmin2, not me, it was there to show what I was responding to.  

I do understand what it would mean and as to who's asking for it, I think it was a question asked by wgt and I see that I'm in a minority, of those that have responded, that think it's a good idea.

As to the top 100 being disadvantaged by being promoted, I realise that you have a better handle on this than me so I will take this to be true.  I do think it's each other they compete with already and I think there are, and would continue to be, plenty of tournaments for them to play in.  I suppose they would lose tier based ready-go's,or they would need to have a different formula for them.  

The 1,100 players people dismiss as a tiny proportion has grown from about 400 in May last year and will only continue to grow, and with active players.  I suspect a fairly significant proportion of the daily play is from people in, or soon to be in, this group.

I'm not sure how to respond to "BS",  "afraid" and  "crying" (and I realise not all are directly at me) I had some thoughts on a question that was asked and tried to give them. I reckon wgt thinking about this while there are less about 1,000 active players affected rather than waiting until the number grows is a good idea.

I agree the choice is there on ready-go's and I even look forward to trying to gradually climb the rankings in the weekly/monthly tournaments.

If I do get to TL, I can say with confidence that the top group on here will include players who aren't that good.  I'm going to count the number of snaps I hit next time I play and I'm pretty sure I wont need to take my shoes and socks off.  I would have thought some of the best players would enjoy being in a top tier that really meant something, I suppose this way more of us can enjoy the illusion of greatness and maybe that's a big part of what computer games are about.

Well done on Cabo one stroke off 7th and AgentBrown, Aggasi etc etc; I do see the attraction.  Many true Legends(!) of wgt there and if that putt had just dropped..... 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 4:49 AM

What's coming from this more and more for me is two fold:

1. To some it's a way of creating a new tier to remove some from the rest of TL competition.

Here I agree entirely it's only a top 100 ish players that are simply that good.  So far any of my comments have not addressed this side of things at all.  The more I think about it though the more I think separation here is not the way to go.  I agree with all the stated reasons not to do this.  

Moreover, were this to happen I suspect a new top of the best of rest would soon come to light and where would that end?  Can't see it's the way to go from any angle.

Top 10 in RGs should be more worthwhile.  You don't need a new tier for that, just a shake up of % payouts, and yes WGT to cut their rake from the stake money now they charge so much to enter (ball cost especially).

2. I do still think that there is room for more excellence attached to TL though.  A while back people thought of TL as cream, and something to aspire.  With some systematic abuse of loopholes, throw in the new short tees it's no longer the case, and that's a shame IMO.  

My full thought's on my reasons for a new tier being worthwhile are all made already in this thread, and those points still largely stand.  I only add "largely" only as part of it was to reward only genuine players and the new XP boosts in CCs (L5???) may address some of just that aspect anyway. 

Sorting out RG payouts and CC upgrades possibly come before any of this.  I say possibly to reiterate my point included a way of rewarding genuine players properly.

• Zoe777Love
    5 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 5:09 AM

Champion amateur tier

RSS