Forums

Help › Forums

Thoughts please - New Tier Above Tour Legends?

Wed, Oct 22 2014 7:22 PM (179 replies)
  • sammey1
    682 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 2:43 PM

How about at average of 56 or less you go back to starter equipment. Call the tier Elite Hack. ;)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 9:05 AM

sammey1:
    average of 56 or less

sammey1:
    Call the tier Elite Hack. ;)

Do it by saturated average may as well.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 2:39 PM

The thread is now too long to read all of it......sry. Probably this has been mentioned before.

New tier, whatever is called, could be based on player Stats. Green in Regulation, Driving accuracy , Sand Save & Scrambling, besides playing a WGT Tour tournament to keep it with the scores.

You can take almost any TL and see the players stats.......huge difference!. Take any top player and take any TL with average over 60, very clear who is a top player and who is not.

Some people say "stats means nothing"...not true, any top player with great stats would be so precise in a "normal" day. A TL with low stats needs to have a great day to do the same....very easy to spot.

Eric

• spy88
    205 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 11:02 AM

As many have noted before, requests from WGT for help on a issue from us or us requesting help on many issues from them, always ends in "No Comment" (which translates to "we got what we wanted, now shut up!") from WGT.

1)  Fix the already major problems within game play that are prevalent first!

2)  As for adding upper tiers.  Looking to satisfy the few while ignoring the majority with legitimate complaints is bass-ackwards.

3)  Excuse me, but I'm a purist when it comes to golf.  I've said it before and I'll say it again...go back to the drawing board, find programmers who can actually make a shot-shaping game, open it up for testing when you think it is ready and leave this version as is.  You need to make a game that is harder and more realistic.  Golf is generally accepted to have been "invented" during the middle ages, somewhere between 500 and 1500 years ago in Scotland.  In the last 100 years, there have been only 3 rounds of 58 shot by professionals on tour and nothing less.  WGT is only 5 years old but already TL's routinely score below 57.  There is one TL carrying a HC of less then 51!  What does she (yes, it is a female!) supposed to do for competition?  It doesn't matter how she got there.  She's effectively "beat" the game so what in it can challenge her now?  Nothing, and stagnation sets in.  I don't want perfection as a goal, I want a constant and legitimate on-going challenge.  That is what will keep me here long-term.  There is no perfection in real golf, nor should there be in a golf sim. 

What happened to DOS when Windows (et al) premiered?  WGT is in DOS mode.   

jmo

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 2:48 AM

WGTadmin2:

The main issue we are trying to address is there is a huge disparity in skill among the Tour legends right now.  The whole purpose of the tiers is to group similar skill level together so you can have a fair and competitive game.  Can you think of a better solution?

Real possible issues is that the Top tier will be less players and RG's and other tournaments will take longer to fill..

I think that I am about to go to TL and there is no way I have skills comparable to the top players. If, as stated above, you want players of similar skill you certainly have to create a new tier.

I do think that if I am expected to compete in the same tier as the best players the least I deserve in access to the same equipment, in whatever the top tier is it seems crazy that the best players are given an advantage.  There is some argument in the lower tiers that the current system evens things a bit, a better player coming quickly through tiers will have lesser equipment to someone advancing more slowly.  At the top tier the best have the best.  

In the Tour event/Month/Week  tournaments the top players are only really competing with each other anyway, maybe (larger) prizes to the top 10 or so rather than spread through 70 players perhaps a bit further down in the tour one's.    

Filling the ready go tournaments slowly wouldn't really be a problem as most of these players play in the all tier ready-go's as well as tier based, perhaps there could be a few more of the higher stakes one's for them and others daft enough to enter.  Maybe for the tier ones you could cut the entry from 50 in the top tier.

What this tier could be called seems tricky to me but the tier names already seem messy.  I always think a something (like local, Scottish, even golfing) legend is not quite being a legend, which needs no qualification.  Daft idea no.126; rename what would be the 3rd top tier  (something like champion or elite maybe), leave the 2nd top or change if this would cause too much  confusion/uproar and call the top one wgt legend or legend if you're pretty sure it will remain the top one. If you do need to create another tier in the future I would reckon it may be to split the 2nd top, though this would depend on what criteria you set for joining the top one and I wont go there now as this is long and rambling enough.

This may seem to be clouded by self interest, and to an extent I suppose it is, but I don't want to compete with TM's (who I'd reckon to I'm much closer to in skill level if not equipment) either.  There are some ideas, probably bad which I'm sure will be pointed out to me (I may be saved by it being an old thread).

• cougarclaw
    138 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 9:03 AM

May I suggest , as you have more clout with WGT than I , an exclusive tier above tour legend could  be called , " Hall of Famers " 

• cougarclaw
    138 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 9:17 AM

Also a requirement ,...tour legend status + diamond awards for all 18 hole stroke play games !  And maybe recieve by mail a WGT Hall Of Famer  en-scripted  sports visor cap !  Tourneys in this exclusive tier could also win novel merchandice with WGT en-scriptions ,...coffee mugs , magnets , key chains etc ...Surely WGT would see this as a cheep and effective means of advertising !

• golfvader7
    1,822 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 11:15 AM

I'm sure this will really go over big-time. How about calling it "The Unrealistic Tier". Those who average that low are in a class by itself. WGT claims to have the most realistic golf site........well, if pros could average scores so low, 1.......they'd be in the HOF after 6 tourneys, and the R&A and USGA would change the specs on balls, clubs, shoes, gloves, sunscreen, ball-markers and make everyone play with standardized equipment. There have been 3 rounds? below 60. We have 3 rounds below 60 every 45 minutes.

I have tracked every single round since I joined wgt. 1943+ ranked rounds. My profile says my scoring average is as a Legend......65.02. Actually, my realistic average is 68.77. And I'm happy as a pig in that stuff.

So call it what you want. It will only effect those who are interested in making a fortune with credits. Who wants to compete against someone who average 51.3?

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 1:33 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I think that I am about to go to TL and there is no way I have skills comparable to the top players. If, as stated above, you want players of similar skill you certainly have to create a new tier.

Same applies to noob Legends, to noob Masters and so forth...

From the very start, I wasn't able to contend between those in my tier (and it was "easy" times two years+ ago).

Today, I (avg 67+) cannot contend against the seasoned Legends of a 62 average.

Thus, there are always better ones and lower ones - human faith you might say. Why care of differences in 1,200 TLs in this big game?

RSS