Forums

Help › Forums

is there anyone left that don't quit

Tue, Oct 12 2010 1:13 AM (179 replies)
  • BriRock
    148 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 10:16 AM

YankeeJim:
    If you quit the game for any of the reasons pointed out that's fine but, taking that voluntary hit on the rep wouldn't be inaccurate. You quit-you get the hit or finish it.

YJ...You got it kid... the number of time people quit for legitimate reasons vs. the number of times people do it because of bad shots, holes, haircuts, egos, averages, shoes, days, parenting, doesn't even compare.  It would have very little effect on your "reputation".  So a few legitimate quits should not worry people if something like that ever actually gets implemented. 

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 10:21 AM

i still like my idea in MULTIPLAYER  have a side that is JUST FOR FUN identical to practice now  with the exception that tier determines tee boxes (like ranked does now  just to make it fair  for lower tiers  when they play  higher tiers) as it is now whoever sets up the game  in practice determines the conditions and tees so  less skilled players usually get stuck playing  conditions way outside their equipment capabilities and skill level ie  hacks and amatures  playing  master conditions.under this section scores  don't count towards avg  . and  COMPETATIVE  where everything remains as it is now  and you take your chances  with quitters and people afraid to make a bad shot .in both cases you still earn level  points as you do now

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 10:22 AM

VanHalenLover:
    I'm NOT proposing to drop the option to leave the game that is built in to the game window. What I am proposing, is to get rid of the quit/end round option when the game RESUMES.

I don't believe quitting a ranked mp game results in that option today.

VanHalenLover:
    The end/quit round option that I would like to see gone is the option that appears once that player re-starts the game window and is then prompted to end/quit the game, or resume in solo mode. This is where, I believe, the game should force that player to finish the round alone, without an option to quit (and not post the score).

Got a screen shot of that option?

You're 75 words or less proposal needs clarification as to just what you are changing.

"Remove the "end/quit round" option from the game play menu" is too vague.  An example of where you see it would help.

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 10:27 AM

BriRock:
    YJ...You got it kid... the number of time people quit for legitimate reasons vs. the number of times people do it because of bad shots, holes, haircuts, egos, averages, shoes, days, parenting, doesn't even compare.  It would have very little effect on your "reputation".  So a few legitimate quits should not worry people if something like that ever actually gets implemented. 

how about  implementing something   like they have in match play a mutual  drop  i'm sure nobody will refuse to drop a game mutually  for good reason ie  important call,  at work and boss  is coming  and a variety of other legitamate reasons  Like someone said  life happens . and have no penalty  and it will be like the game never happened    but if people  just X out  of a game  they must make the choice  next time  to either resume the last game and finish    solo  or  take a level hit penalty  brfore they can start another game

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:22 AM

Here is what I am trying to show andy:

When IN GAME, there are two option, 1) End Round and 2) Save & Quit

It is here where I would like to see the 'End Round' option removed, and the 'Save & Quit left intact. It would allow people to leave the game when needed, without affecting other players. (Of course, NOTHING can stop someone from closing the game window, if they don't want to exit gracefully.

If the 'End Round' option prevented them from quitting and not posting that score, they are left no option but to use the save game feature, or close the browser window. In any case, the next time they launch the game client, they are greeted with this:

Again, both options are available. Remove the 'End Round' option (the one allowing them to exit with no score being posted) and leave only the 'Continue' option, thus forcing the game to be finished, and the score to be posted.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:29 AM

VanHalenLover:
    Again, both options are available. Remove the 'End Round' option (the one allowing them to exit with no score being posted) and leave only the 'Continue' option, thus forcing the game to be finished, and the score to be posted.

Impracticable, despotic and dictatorial. People don't appreciate to have their freedom taken away; people aren't machines! WGT.com would lose users by thousands every day if the users were coerced to finish rounds they have no intention to finish.

Let it be everyone's free choice to finish the round or not, whereby not finishing the round would result in a small reputation drop for the player.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:30 AM

Thanks for the post Bri,

That is indeed the main separation between the two offered suggestions. one wished to build a reward/punishment system related to quitting, and mine wishes to do away with quitting once and for all. 

Two methods to address the same issue, but that is about the end of the similarities. I'll let those supporting the other options comment on theirs, but I see a big benefit from simply making everyone finish every ranked round, or any round that has credits wagered. The wagered rounds are less problematic for that exact reason, there is something riding on them, and players lose if they quit. The 'for fun' rounds only affect ones rank/score/average (no credits are wagered), but this is used by players to manipulate their scores for an unfair advantage when it comes to credit-based games.

It is my assertion that by removing the option to quit a round and not post the score, the quitters will go away. It is simple, if quitting isn't an option, they can't do it. once they realize that they HAVE to finish these rounds, they can no longer be used as practice rounds to manipulate their averages. Hence, they will stop trying. Sure some will still drop, but they get punished by HAVING to finish the round and post a score before they can play anything else.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:35 AM

Faterson:
    Impracticable, despotic and dictatorial. People don't appreciate to have their freedom taken away; people aren't machines! WGT.com would lose users by thousands every day if the users were coerced to finish rounds they have no intention to finish.

Instead of coming back here to pound your chest and yell louder than everyone else in order to be heard (and dragging the thread off-topic AGAIN); why not tell us what part of finishing a round you don't like and be a bit constructive? You have no idea what 'people' want or who would quit, you should only be commenting on what you like or dislike about it, and more importantly, WHY.

You are against having to finish in solo mode at the expense of someone else dropping; I get that, and have heard it all too many times. Got it. Why then, would you be so against a method that will PREVENT quitting, where you would NEVER have to worry about it again?

Faterson:
    Let it be everyone's free choice to finish the round or not, whereby not finishing the round would result in a small reputation drop for the player.

It would be their choice. Not if they are to finish, but when, and in what mode. It will make players put a little more thought in to JOINING a game, which is not done nearly enough right now; and take away from the knee-jerk reactionary quitting.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:50 AM

VanHalenLover:
    why not tell us what part of finishing a round you don't like

I like no part of it because it's impracticable, dictatorial and despotic. People want freedom, not your coercion. The explanation was already given in my previous post; I hope you aren't going to keep asking the same question 30 times again.

VanHalenLover:
    Why then, would you be so against a method that will PREVENT quitting

Because no such method exists. It's a chimera. Like Bri said, people will always quit, for whatever reason. The only thing that matters is to make habitual quitters identifiable to others, so that we can avoid starting rounds with them.

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:52 AM

VanHalenLover:
    The 'for fun' rounds only affect ones rank/score/average (no credits are wagered), but this is used by players to manipulate their scores for an unfair advantage when it comes to credit-based games.

the for  fun rounds affect absolutley  nothing  not score  not average   no credits can be wagered. IT IS  IDENTICAL  TO PRACTICE ROUNDS ARE NOW WITH THE EXCEPTION  THE PLAYERS  TEE BOXES  ARE DETERMINED BY THEIR TIER  to make it fair  for lower ranked  tiers when  playing a higher ranked tier  EG  if i set up a practice round for conditions for a master   and play a hack or an amature    it is not fair for them because their equipment is just not capable  of playing from master  tees  or  if they set up a game suitable  for their tier and equipment  its not much of a game when  playing from the front tees  i can  drive almost every par 4  from the tee .

THE JUST FOR FUN ROUNDS AFFECT NOTHING  THERE CAN BE NO MANIPULATION OF SCORES  BECAUSE ONCE THE GAME IS OVER  OTHER THAN THOSE FINISHING THE GAME COLLECTING  LEVEL  POINTS AS THEY DO NOW FOR FINISHING ROUNDS . IT IS LIKE THE GAME NEVER HAPPENED

no way possible to manipulate scores if the game never happened

RSS