Thu, Apr 17 2014 12:40 AM (24 replies)
  • SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 12:06 PM

courteneyfish:
    SOYEL1:

andyson:

courteneyfish:
    Unless it's really close I'll always go for the flop. (Differing opinions are available.)

Since you are an experienced fringe flopper, do you find a flop from the fringe goes farther than a fairway flop of the same power?

I have always been a flopper, and my answer is no. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I agree. :-)

Maybe someone at WGT now reads this and changes it...

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 1:03 PM

hpurey:

YankeeJim:

Chinajohn:
    If never seen a ball moved by thought and as a sceptic I'd need more than visuals to believe that. ;-)

The ball might not move because of a thought but you certainly move by thought. Make the connection there-conceptualize the result and give your brain credit for making it happen.  :-)

Absolutely. I'm often able to pitch it in for bird (or eagle) from the fringe if the shot is less than 18-20 yards, there is not a severe break near the hole. and the wind is not over 15 mph as a cross wind.

Visualization prior to doing an actual task is used by many professional athletes.

IMO pitch is much more controllable than either the chip or the flop shot.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 1:07 PM

Always been a fringe putter. Add 2or 3 feet to the putt. Pitch or punch if it is a putt with fair way in the line of the putt, ST. A #17. or if it is a putt that has a deep gully in the way. There are some holes where you are 4 feet of fringe or more then I p or p. I find that I make more putts putting out of the fringe than chipping or pitching.

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:13 PM

I agree fringe putting is a great shot once you know the variables and how much to ad to the putt,2 to 3 ft is what I usually use and works fine for me,Flop shots no matter the distance rarely hole out,,,at 5 to 9 yards the chip is a great shot once you learn to read the last 70% of the distance it will travel along with the spin needed for correct distance to the hole (I like leaving the pin in),anything over 9yds to 25 I always pitch with  my clevs,anything over 25 yards I use either a punch shot or flop but I find the punch much more accurate and easier to control,about the only time I ever flop anymore is if there is an obstruction in my line to the hole (water,bunker etc) other than that I rarely use flop anymore because it's to inconsistent for me personally and rarely holes out.....I guess when it's all said and done players will rely on what works best for them and what they find is more accurate for their style of play....cheers....

• bluey403
    1,527 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 12:40 AM

I like this subject and everyones thoughts.

Its (like real golf),a matter of being in a comfort zone,sometimes putt ,chip, pitch or flop.

PUTT: little break & within 1-3 ft of green,add10% to your putting calcs.

CHIP: again little break & 1-2 yds from green. topspin or backspin is a feel thing.

PITCH: 3-10 yds from green,allow break from 2 yds from hole

FLOP: major elevation changes,3/4 backspin,click early.

Once again,I stress its a feel thing & many hours of play/ practice.

***The #1 rule is no matter what shot you decide,ALWAYS remove the flagstick cause it will leave you speechless,most times if you dont***

RSS