Forums

Help › Forums

Fringe Putting

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 17 2014 12:40 AM (24 replies)
  • ClayJones
    242 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 6:54 PM

Just wondering if any1 has some tips....a lot of times I simply pitch it since I'm a horrible chipper lol.

How does fringe affect the putter...thanks!

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:04 AM

Fringe is slower than the green so you have to hit them putt harder.

How much harder depends on how deep into the fringe your ball is.

I don't putt from fringe, I pitch 98% of the time and chip 2%.

Some will use the flop shot if there is sufficient distance to the hole.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 12:33 PM
    Unless it's really close I'll always go for the flop. (Differing opinions are available.)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 1:12 PM

Rule o thumb..

+2 ft over 15... + 3 over 26..and obviously it gets exponentially greater depending on how much you have to putt through

And differs from course to course and if you are putting up o downhill..practise I guess to fine tune

Andy

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 2:39 PM

Beware of fairway between fringe and green, e.g. at BPB #13. It would be a tremendous decelerator for a putt. When I learned this, I finished putting from the fringe. With decent wedges and a decent ball, the short game works!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 3:55 PM

alcaucin:
    it gets exponentially greater depending on how much you have to putt through

This is probably the biggest reason I use a chip or pitch. I'm never sure how hard to hit through and invariably 2 putt. Really close to the green isn't a putting issue-that 2 feet works.

I like the chip - you only have to negotiate the last 1/3rd or so of the green so you read it like a putt and with that pitch, 2-3 feet of green around the hole is what you look at.

• ClayJones
    242 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 4:14 PM

Ok thanks all. I'm usually just a foot or less into the fringamo and I'll usually pitch or chip. I just wanted the putter option as well. Haven't tried to flop it, but that could make sense as well.

Hit 'em straight!

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 8:13 PM

Firstly if I'm in the fringe I don't expect to hole the putt / pitch. Manage your expectations go for par.

Secondly, if it's regular fringe i.e. a foot or so around the edge of a green I add a foot ( 1ft ) to my normal calculation, 90% of the time that gets me within 3ft for an easy par.

I prefer putting than pitch / chipping as I find it easier to read the green rather than judge where the ball is going to land and at what speed to judge the slope from a pitch / chip. Of course if there is a bunker or other obstruction or a very seriously sloping part of the green then I'll go for a different shot. For the stats freaks this is not good as it will adversely effect your putting average as it is rare (but not unheard of) to hole from the fringe.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 5:16 AM

Chinajohn:
    Firstly if I'm in the fringe I don't expect to hole the putt / pitch.

Why not? Thinking positive gets better results.  :-)

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:19 AM

I like it , just add 2 or 3 to the putt and you'll be just fine. If you in the middle of the fringe might try adding 4

RSS