Forums

Help › Forums

Fringe Putting

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 17 2014 12:40 AM (24 replies)
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:22 AM

IF, and I say if, I decide to putt it I will add 2 feet to the putt distance and that usually is sufficient.  However that is if it is on Champ greens and a fairly flat putt. The OP is Tour Pro so he may need to add quite a bit more for slower green speeds.

Besides needing to be a flattish putt, it also needs to be a fairly straight putt for me to consider the putter, if it has a crazy freeway of dot traffic and inside  8 or 9 yards I'm using the chip shot 90 % of the time.  Any longer and I'm pitching it,  club and ball combo will decide it for me though.  

as always with this subject... YMMV

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:04 AM

YankeeJim:

Chinajohn:
    Firstly if I'm in the fringe I don't expect to hole the putt / pitch.

Why not? Thinking positive gets better results.  :-)

If never seen a ball moved by thought and as a sceptic I'd need more than visuals to believe that. ;-)

This game can be frustrating enough without raising my expectations too much. Of course I've putted some but I view that as a most pleasant bonus.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:12 AM

Chinajohn:
    If never seen a ball moved by thought and as a sceptic I'd need more than visuals to believe that. ;-)

The ball might not move because of a thought but you certainly move by thought. Make the connection there-conceptualize the result and give your brain credit for making it happen.  :-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:51 AM

YankeeJim:

Chinajohn:

The ball might not move because of a thought but you certainly move by thought. Make the connection there-conceptualize the result and give your brain credit for making it happen.  :-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 10:14 AM

YankeeJim:

Chinajohn:
    Firstly if I'm in the fringe I don't expect to hole the putt / pitch.

Why not? Thinking positive gets better results.  :-)

LOL Jim, read that a few hours back and thought wth ?

But I like John, so didn't say anything :)

If it is within 16 yrds by the green I expect to hole out whether it be from fringe /  40- 50 ruff / or MULCH !! ( doesn't always happen but that is the expectation )

And apps from 230 yrds minus too..

maybe I've set my bar too high ? :)

Andy

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:10 AM

courteneyfish:
    Unless it's really close I'll always go for the flop. (Differing opinions are available.)

Since you are an experienced fringe flopper, do you find a flop from the fringe goes farther than a fairway flop of the same power?

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:25 AM

andyson:

courteneyfish:
    Unless it's really close I'll always go for the flop. (Differing opinions are available.)

Since you are an experienced fringe flopper, do you find a flop from the fringe goes farther than a fairway flop of the same power?

I have always been a flopper, and my answer is no. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:54 AM

There are some holes where it is nice to have your putz in the fringe.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:59 AM

alcaucin:
    maybe I've set my bar too high ? :)

No - you'll certainly catch the Bo5 Ace Master award. Almost!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 12:02 PM
    SOYEL1:

andyson:

courteneyfish:

I have always been a flopper, and my answer is no. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I agree. :-)
RSS