Forums

Help › Forums

Kat's Calculators - Version 2.0 Beta is now available.

Sun, Dec 26 2021 2:36 PM (300 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 9:31 AM

skccvb:
    if you don't factor in 'spin'- both clubs and balls- you are only getting a 'helpful' approximation- not exactness

Spin, Distance, Precision ... that's the "feel" part of the game ... some are better than others.  The calculator currently gives you an estimated distance and deviation.  You have to know what your clubs do with the ball you're using to get your shot to said distance.  Also, some holes play longer/shorter than what the distance shows.  You need to know that as well ... also a part of "feel"

skccvb:
    however putting calculations are quite easy to do 'on the fly' - and you need to know thru experience that some putts play 'slow' and some 'fast'. 

Once again "feel".  The calculators won't play the game for you ... they will merely give you, as you say, an extremely good approximation to "what's needed" to get you close or sink the putt.

Programs are similar to people ... they need to learn to crawl before they can learn to walk.  This calculator will continue to evolve because I'm writing it for me.  Right now, it's learning to crawl.

My next major release will include "wind and club mapping", followed by "course and hole" mapping, which will take into account many of these "feel" factors. The calculator's basics are there, and, in time, will learn how "you" play and adjust it's variables to fit your game (so you don't have to think about it).

Many appreciate not having to calculate "on the fly" ... some like it.  I fall under the "minimum effort, maximum benefit" category.  I personally enjoy the AS and MP games over the RG's and single-play tourneys.  Having the calculator gives me more time to socialize and less time dealing with "on the fly" calculations.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 9:36 AM

It's all good Kat- I apologize if my comments were in any way offensive to you.

I might be sore that someone using your calcs (who averaged 80 seconds a shot) ruined my streak on the M9 ladder yesterday...(rofl)...I was up 3 when they were playing 'normal' time, then they started using the clock and throwing darts on the par 3's...so maybe there is something to this calculator thing :)

• jaderoks
    571 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 9:42 AM

DaddysKat:
    Spin, Distance, Precision ... that's the "feel" part of the game ... some are better than others.  The calculator currently gives you an estimated distance and deviation.  You have to know what your clubs do with the ball you're using to get your shot to said distance.  Also, some holes play longer/shorter than what the distance shows.  You need to know that as well ... also a part of "feel"

Exactly what I was going to say. I have a copy of Kats calculator and I think it's very accurate. I wish I had it when I 1st started. I was using my own calculations before this and they're almost identical. The one thing that I always did by feel was the side winds and where to aim on the green. After testing this one out I found it be alot better and way more accurate than my own feel.

I think what Kat has done for the community here is a great thing. Many others would have been greedy with their knowledge.

Thanks again Kat :)

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 9:46 AM

UNCLE! Let me know if you ever develop this for Mac...

:)

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 9:46 AM

skccvb:
    I might be sore that someone using your calcs (who averaged 80 seconds a shot) ruined my streak on the M9 ladder yesterday

Ah ... so you're blaming the calculators for advising the player, instead of blaming the player, for playing head games with you (or trying to dial in that ".2" feet).  I can't help slow play.  Some just do it to get under your skin.

BTW ... once you get the wind percentages and crosswind distance dialed in, you are throwing darts at the pin.

• sue333318
    631 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 9:58 AM

You must be getting a few bounce outs then looking at your average........

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 10:07 AM

sue333318:

You must be getting a few bounce outs then looking at your average........

Nah ... just learning to play left handed since breaking my right hand.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 10:59 AM

LOL, just got the image of you writing code using my hunt and peck 2 finger method with a cast in my mind!

The calculator works folks...It is off on the holes we all know are mapped wrong, and it is perfect on a lot of them...I tested it, I don't use the putt calculator because I like my way and it is quick, I don't use it on every shot either, but when I get to a hole with a high wind at 45degrees, and I'm in between yardages I use it and it is pretty d@mn accurate...

Now my stats don't look all that good either considering I was shooting in the 80's 9 months ago...and I'm not playing near as much since I reached my goal of TL  a couple of months ago, but in the last 3 months my stats are as good or better than 99% of the ppl. on this site...

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 11:16 AM

fatdan:
    LOL, just got the image of you writing code using my hunt and peck 2 finger method with a cast in my mind!

It's more like 5 fingers and I have a removable brace instead of a cast ... I sure love the compiler I'm using ... it will remember what you named everything so a few characters and a tab key press.  lol.

fatdan:
    .It is off on the holes we all know are mapped wrong,

That's my next major project, Dan!  I promised a friend I'd get the enhancements I released in version 2 completed.  Now it's time to get my baby crawling!  

fatdan:
    I'm not playing near as much since I reached my goal of TL

Me either ... but for different reasons.  I tend to get bored real easy.  Writing code to make this game easier for others is as fun for me as hearing the ding or holing a 100 foot shot for eagle.  Yeah ... I know ... nerd!  lmao.

Thanks, Dan, for the compliments and endorsement.  The calculators ... like a fine wine, it will only get better with time.

• FigJam0770
    220 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 11:42 AM

Id like a link to 2.0 if possible pls.  In game name Figjam0770.  Friend request sent.  Thanks for all your hard work

RSS