Help › Forums

Cheating 101 Is it Out There?

Fri, May 29 2015 4:54 PM (72 replies)
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2014 9:58 PM

grumpyolddom:

mkg335:
    .  It's based on the presumption of guilt instead of the presumption of innocence...as in "guilty until proven innocent."

I think that this is based on the fact that if you have nothing to hide why object?? 

[snipped the body of your post in order to cut to the chase] 

Who would it hurt if they have nothing to hide!!

Again, the idea of having to prove one's innocence flies in the face of not only common law, where the burden of proof is on the accuser, but also the idea of fair play and even logic itself.

Very few would condone cheating, and logic dictates that very few actually do cheat.  This is the same logic applied in common law, where the presumption of innocence is based on the fact that crimes are committed by a relatively small number of people and therefore most people truly are innocent; thus the burden of proof is on the accuser.

Logic also dictates that very few people would choose to play a game in which the participants were responsible for providing evidence that they aren't cheating. 

In short, it's backwards thinking and more than a bit untidy to try to engineer a game in which the player is presumed guilty of cheating until and unless he can prove otherwise.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2014 10:27 PM

grumpyolddom:

This players stats say that  his average distance from the pin is 3 yards. Average means some closer some farther away. So lets say everyone of these 18 shots were within 10 feet. His average of putts made from 5 to 10 ft is a little less than 20 %. But this round he got hot and made 100% did not slide one by or miss read a break?? Don't people think that something is going on?

No. It is worth pointing out that you don't understand this stat. The 20% figure means that of all the putts the player hits in the game ever, 20% are holed putts from 5-10 feet. It obviously does not mean that only 20% of 5-10 footers are holed. How could a top player possibly be a top player if they missed 80% of these? My stats for example are: 

% Putts Made from 0 - 5 Feet 48.10%
    % Putts Made from 5 - 10 Feet 17.46%
    % Putts Made from 10 -25 Feet 7.49%
    % Putts Made from 25 - 50 Feet 0.37%
    % Putts Made from 50+ Feet

0.03%

This means that 73.45% of all the putts I have ever taken from anywhere have been holed, and 26.55% have been missed. I am not one of the best putters here by any means, but a round containing only 1 putts is not that rare even for me.

• Talluin
    257 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2014 10:44 PM

Tired of reading these 'cheating' posts.

it goes on, anyone that says it doesn't go on is incredibly naive. i don't believe it's going on in the highest echelons, i've seen countless vids from the really top guys and more often than not, ding aint king. putting is the key to low scores.  just like real golf.     i think Mainzman hit the nail on the head and its the middling tiers where it seem to be prevalent.

Just don't play ready go's or strangers for creds and stop getting bent out of shape.  join a country club and enjoy the game.

The really good players are amazing putters.  don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that ding means very little.  being good at something then having to 'prove' your good is just pretty ridiculous.

I've only been playing for 6 months, i am very average but getting better.  my putting is very average but getting better,  if i had the inclination to play for the next 4 years at the same level i reckon i'd be scoring 50's regular too.  experience counts for a lot in this game in my opinion.

• xXxjasonxXx
    688 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2014 11:06 PM

Ya what they said ding is not king who needs a ding, ya i may have dinged a few but 90% of all my shots where miss dings here is a video i made awhile back an this is on my walmart special i payed  $299 for an played with a choppy aZZ meter an had to record myself on 15 FPS now if i was able to have a smoother meter i may have got a few more birds But anyways this crap is geting old, Enjoy the video.....

Its quite clear here i dont need a ding to play good,, more videos on youtube if u wanna watch them also........

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2014 11:16 PM

I cheat.

Now lets talk about something serious.

• Kindle2010
    602 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2014 11:25 PM

Sanco:

I cheat.

Now lets talk about something serious.

Beer?

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2014 11:59 PM

These threads are starting to get really old really quickly.

For the op's benefit take a look at this, after 2 19's, I decided to record my 3rd attempt and made 19 again in the par 3 ready go, this should have been an 18 but I parred the easiest hole of the lot at Cabo and of the 19 shots, I dinged 8, 5 of which were with the putter.

If that doesnt convince you then take a look at any of the 42 vids I have on my channel, scores from 26's/27's and 28's with all sorts of different balls. Recording is not an ego trip for me so you will also see 30's where I make mistakes, the beauty of recording myself is that I can watch them back and learn something from them.

To this day I practice and try to learn something new each day, do you? Might be that the one you should really pay attention to is the putting tutorial :-)

Channel

There are many many players who record their videos because it is fun and adds a little extra pressure and they are a great learning tool. Some like myself made the very first video to disprove allegations just like yours and then I got addicted to it lol

If you still believe your inital theory after watching some of mine or any of the other 100's of great videos you will find from top players, then carry on with your belief, the only one who will be held back by that belief is you.

"Just coz I cant do it, the rest must be cheating"

Makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot!

Peace,

Liz

• Talluin
    257 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 12:29 AM

Lizard69:
    Makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot!

i'd so cheat for a chocolate teapot!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 1:05 AM

I think the OP may have thought he was posting on WGTLS....seems to be quite a theme over there, maybe they have it figured out, but to me (reading the WGTLS forums) seems more of a witch hunt to me.

• TDSLIMIT
    409 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 1:41 AM

WGTLS.   Don't say that word Im allergic.       ON a real note... 

Has anyone ever earned enough credits  to actually bye one of those high dollar trips in the PRO-SHOP ELITE. 

RSS