Help › Forums

Cheating 101 Is it Out There?

Fri, May 29 2015 4:54 PM (72 replies)
  • chuddlymccannon
    298 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:39 AM

Buggyyy:

LMFAO to this!

I started playing this game on Jan 15, 2012. From that day, I played WGT countless hours accumulated massive consecutive days streaks over time, so that means I spent time trying to learn the game and get better. My stats weren't amazing at first, eventually I had more great games than bad ones, so they overpowered the shittier stats.

I remember being you to the game seeing all the 27's and 54's and wondered how the hell that was even possible. Then one day, I shot my first 27 and told myself, this is actually doable.

It just takes time, most of the great players here have been here for years or put in countless hours for the time that they were here. Not everyone has to be a cheater. But yes, the software is out there, but you will never enjoy this game if you're worried about who's cheating and not having fun.

EDIT: If you would like to watch over my shoulder and see me play, go check out my YouTube channel. www.youtube.com/buggyyy

No, players won't shoot 27 every time they record videos or whatever you're talking about, but you will still see that they know the game. It's not about score all the time, but sometimes adjusting from mistakes or improving certain aspects of your game. Once all aspects of your game are close to being mastered, it's hard to not be great. Also, there's a lot more to being a good player than to just shooting low scores. You need composure, being able to maintain relaxation in pressure situations, and a big one is COURSE KNOWLEDGE. 

I'm a pretty decent putter too, so I guess that helps. :) Cheers

I think my rant was misunderstood

I was the one being accused of being a cheater by others on the course.

I am aware that with hours spent practicing you can shoot really good score

I have never run into a person I thought was cheating on the course.  I have run into a multi that openly told me about it though.

As far as the actual cheating is concerned...... I am sure there are plenty of people on here that are just that good and I think that is great.  The only time I have ever thought someone was cheating is when you come across these accounts that are hacks and amateurs and have never shot a 9 hole round with a score above a 30........ when you pull up there info and they have played 2 ranked rounds and have an average of 58 - 60.  When you pull up their stats and in a total of 18 holes played they have 14 putts total, an average distance to pin of 7 ft. and 3 eagles.

Why wgt allows people like this to stick around is beyond me....................... NO one is that good.

I came here to have fun and play golf.  I enjoy spending money to improve my game and I enjoy chatting with people.

All of this talk of cheating has everyone accusing any person they think to shake a stick at and it's beyond stupidity.

To the players that are just that good...... keep it up!

To the cheats that win from time to time..................... I hope your mommy is proud of you!

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:49 AM

The only real "cheat" used in this game in recent times was one that slowed the meter as much as you wanted. IMO this was used by players when the R11's were the top irons and combine with Nike balls for the best all around performance.

With the advent of 3.5 dot Nike balls and the level 97 Nike irons- any accomplished player can 'ding; (or off ding as needed) at will. Also, the high level Versa putter and Nike irons precision has made the game one of exactness- and when you combine this equipment with course knowledge and an ability to 'will' putts in the hole, then you have a 'top' player.

In competition- as Jon (Buggyyy) points out, you need one additional quality to be exceptional- which some describe as 'ice water in your veins'- the capacity to overcome your inner doubts and fears vis a vis game performance and execute as you see any shot in your mind. And, yes, the 'best' players do NOT always 'throw darts' for tap ins- VEM alone prevents this and it is more a factor the higher the tier and the better you play.

Putting then becomes the most valued and valuable skill (and/or approach shots around the green and for holeouts). This is one of the reasons I enjoy competing in the ladder on WGTLS- you will get smoked there if you have not acquired all of these skills thru dedication to learning all facets and nuances of the game and playing against better players and build your confidence as you learn -and increasingly- win.

• chuddlymccannon
    298 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:50 AM

SweetiePie:

The so called "cheating" seems to me to be nothing more than someone willing to put in the additional effort (work) of using what can be used to provide better play. It is simply another available tool one can use if time & brain co-operate. I'm too lazy and lame to pursue self-made programs because of my love of "just hitting the ball" with the good luck factor coming around once and a while...just like real golf. Any program will still require wgt knowledge and skill, and if someone receives pleasure from it I say "cool".

+1

• jasoncwoodruff
    1 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:56 AM

When you do your painstaking calculations regarding PUTTING, and have arrived (almost) at the ANSWER......do you take into consideration the WIND FACTOR ?

• TarheelsRule
    5,489 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 9:11 AM

One thing that everyone seems to forget as well is that there are countless rounds in which players quit.  The stats for these rounds, which are probably not good do not show up in your stats.  If you go out and say here you have one round to play and can't restart or quit then the average could generally not be shot, not would be most recent GIR's or FIR's be achieved since you can throw out all the bad rounds.

I agree with Buggy.  When I first started playing I couldn't even begin to understand how you could shoot 65 much less 55.  Hundreds of hours of practice makes it possible.  I never have and probably never will get to the level of putting that some of my country club mates are at, I think it is an age and eyes issue personally.  However I can get some good rounds now and again and since I post 99% of my stroke play rounds I generally can be competitive with anyone I run up against within 2 or 3 shots of my average.

I used to play a lot of the CTTH ready gos and I notice the more I played them the more I won and the better I got at them.  Practice does tend to make perfect in this case.  I ran into a tour pro the other day in a Blitz Challenge round for 100 credits on Congressional.  I figured he would be easy picking but even with lesser clubs he managed to beat me.  We talked a bit and it turns out that he only plays these challenges on that course and he knew it like the back of his hand whereas I play all of them and don't excel at any specific one. 

You can run into a horse for a course like that from time to time.  A player with a 65 average who can always shoot 60 at STA but can't break 70 at Congressional.  That isn't cheating it is just playing to your strengths.

Anyway enough about this, let's get back to virtual golf here.

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 9:57 AM

MBaggese:

I think the OP may have thought he was posting on WGTLS....seems to be quite a theme over there, maybe they have it figured out, but to me (reading the WGTLS forums) seems more of a witch hunt to me.

I dont  think so the op is a multi accounter on both WGT and WGTLS ,he has been docwil,Thebossofthemoss,puttsandpints,woodsidebunker,and who knows who else, he still states he is still on WGTLS as someone else so again still a multi accounter. Tdslimit was banned by WGT for multi accounts,abusive remarks to female members of wgt and wgtls and breaking WGTs terms and conditions on many occassions it is beyond me why WGT allowed him his Tdslimit account back.

"seems to be quite a theme over there, maybe they have it figured out, but to me (reading the WGTLS forums) seems more of a witch hunt to me."

I think the wgt forums have many many  more cheat threads than WGTLS, im not even sure why WGTLS got brought into this thread in the first place the op certainly isn't a member there.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 1:59 PM

jasoncwoodruff:

When you do your painstaking calculations regarding PUTTING, and have arrived (almost) at the ANSWER......do you take into consideration the WIND FACTOR ?

Wind can play a factor, how much of a factor is open for debate, the factor that is harder to judge is the WGT factor. However if I were you, I would ignore it altogether for now and focus on the break.

• Dougie4042
    4,399 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2014 7:55 PM

skccvb:

The only real "cheat" used in this game in recent times was one that slowed the meter as much as you wanted. IMO this was used by players when the R11's were the top irons and combine with Nike balls for the best all around performance.

With the advent of 3.5 dot Nike balls and the level 97 Nike irons- any accomplished player can 'ding; (or off ding as needed) at will. Also, the high level Versa putter and Nike irons precision has made the game one of exactness- and when you combine this equipment with course knowledge and an ability to 'will' putts in the hole, then you have a 'top' player.

In competition- as Jon (Buggyyy) points out, you need one additional quality to be exceptional- which some describe as 'ice water in your veins'- the capacity to overcome your inner doubts and fears vis a vis game performance and execute as you see any shot in your mind. And, yes, the 'best' players do NOT always 'throw darts' for tap ins- VEM alone prevents this and it is more a factor the higher the tier and the better you play.

Putting then becomes the most valued and valuable skill (and/or approach shots around the green and for holeouts). This is one of the reasons I enjoy competing in the ladder on WGTLS- you will get smoked there if you have not acquired all of these skills thru dedication to learning all facets and nuances of the game and playing against better players and build your confidence as you learn -and increasingly- win.

Wow, almost a near perfect post.  Well articulated.  All except for the VEM comment.  That myth will die hard, eh?  Great post otherwise.  I'm being serious.  :)

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2014 8:31 AM

Dougie- VEM is not a myth:

an extract from the patent for VEM -

1. A computer-implemented method, comprising:receiving user input directed to manipulation of virtual equipment in an interactive computer game, the virtual equipment being manipulated through the user's interaction with an associated representation;

determining a change in a user's skill level for interaction with the virtual equipment in response to the received user input; and
    adapting a virtual equipment model having one or more variables associated with the virtual equipment to reflect the determined change in user skill level, the virtual equipment model governing how the virtual equipment behaves in response to the user's interaction with the representation, and where the adapting comprises:
    if the change indicates that the user's skill level has increased, decreasing a sweet spot for a variable of the virtual equipment model; and
    if the change indicates that the user's skill level has decreased, increasing the sweet spot for the variable of the virtual equipment model,
    where the sweet spot is an area of a curve for the variable where the area is based on a degree of deviation from an ideal value for the variable

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2014 8:43 AM

The above is a convoluted way of saying that- within the circle of precision of a particular club, a 'dinged' shot may result on the outer edge of the circle if VEM is increased; conversely, a mis-hit may produce a result better than expected if VEM is decreased.

As to my earlier post- the best players are those who compensate for VEM "WTF" shots by making birdies from further away from the hole regardless of the virtual equipment model messing with their game- lol

RSS