Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup is ON!

Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:44 AM (383 replies)
  • BONALYAU
    191 Posts
    Wed, Jan 22 2014 4:56 PM

Hi all!

I enjoy to play UEL, so, if there is some place I will be in... For the ROW team of course!

Friendly

Jean

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Jan 22 2014 7:17 PM

Thanks Jean! At this point there are only spaces for alternates for both teams (as we already have our 12 players per team), but we'll add you to the backup list for ROW.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Jan 22 2014 8:15 PM

As stated earlier I'm hoping to move things along speedily towards a start to this tourney next week if possible, and running late-January into mid-February.

Friend Requests were sent out today to all participants, and the TIME AVAILABILITY FORM is now live.  [please note: this post is repeated on the opening page for easy finding later on!]

Participating players, please fill out your availability via the form at THIS LINK.

Please fill out this form to let us know your Time Zone and your LOCAL time availability, along with preferred days to play. and I'll figure out an availability grid to help make viable pairings for the tourney.

Captains and myself will use this information to pair you with and against players who really can play at those times, so that we can have a tourney that runs smoothly, without suffering endless delays in trying to connect people. We are dealing with 4-player games for the first 2 series of Worst-Ball and Best-Ball, so getting the Availability Data right at the start is crucial to the tourney working successfully. 

Please provide times you can definitely play (you'll get a few days notice for each precisely scheduled game) for the weeks Jan 27-Feb2, Feb 3-9, and Feb 10-16

My hope is that we can get through each series in one week! Matches will get firmly scheduled (there will be no reliance on "seeing someone green"!), and we will expect players to keep to commitments (obviously allowing for real-life interference if that happens). Is this ambitious, oh yes!!! Is it doable, most definitely YES... with your help!!!

Why is it so complicated?

The idea behind filling out the detailed entry form with all the hourly radio buttons to click is that we get an accurate picture of when everyone can play, and then we are paired together with teammates, and against opponents, whose times really do overlap. Yes, it feels like a lot of work to get through the form initially, but trust me, it speeds everything up in the long run, and gives us the best chance of arranging 4-player matches that can actually work.

Once everyone's data is in, we'll be looking for 2-3 hour blocks where people overlap. I'm anticipating matches should last no more than 1.5-2hrs+ for 4 players with 90 second timer for a 9-hole match, and something similar for the singles, 2 players over 18 holes.

Here's an example of how it will work once I've organized your responses: right-click to enlarge to enlarge this sample pic

The time boxes you clicked on in the entry form will be conditionally formatted to show in Green for your YES's, and in Yellow for Possible times you can play. (Red is NO, not available). Based on the time zone you gave, everyone's grid has been adjusted to UTC time, which are the times in the column headings... However, in the Green boxes, I've retained a note of the time, in your local time, to make it easier for you to tell when it actually is!

So, in this example, deedles and I have an availability overlap weekdays from 4-7pm UTC (deedles' 12-3pm on the East Coast of the U.S., and my 9am-noon in California).

-----------------------

If you've been through this exercise for one of our UEL tournaments before, you'll know that it really works... and I can save you clicking through those radio buttons again. Just check what you submitted last time at one of the following links, and put a note in the Availability Form 'exceptions' field to ask that I use your info from that specific tourney.

You can also post to the same effect in the forum thread. And feel free to let me know of minor amendments in that way too, e.g. "Same times as Tough-It-Out III, but now can't play Saturdays".

Prior Availability Charts:

Tough-It-Out III  |  Shiner's UEL Tourney @ Merion  |  Tough-It-Out II 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Pools:

USA (14): Wesdogg75, natemakesaholein, devonnnnn, KyRock75, Iconian, deedles77, ColumbusStorm, bhoese, Woodoworkery, JimBech, Cygnus3000, SilentOmegaWolf, dougsda, dakotarov 

ROW (14): Corwyn, Daskino, GladstoneScrewer, LOLserver, jsweetcr, TallAcePaul, Dazza501, johehejo & Fairwayruepel68 (last 2 via PM), fmagnets, SteveReilly, WigerToods2010

Kurtsbuford is willing to be a US alternate, while dakotarov's signup took the US 'pool' to 14 already. oneeyedjohn also signed up (but as ROW's 13th player...), and Bonalyau becomes an ROW alternate.

----

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 3:03 AM

Availability send.

Eric

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 8:33 AM

sent in

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:41 AM

I was expecting the Cup to be late Feb, when I am free all the time. I am away until Feb 5th, and my time is not my own until that date, so I can´t commit to any particular schedule. Would you be able to make me the alternate perhaps, able to step up for the 2nd 2 weeks if necessary? Or whatever other arrangement you think would work.

Apologies to all for any difficulties caused.

• deedles77
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 2:54 PM

i filled out my time sheet i guess i'm ready to go

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:30 PM

I am here too!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Jan 23 2014 10:30 PM

fmagnets:
    I was expecting the Cup to be late Feb, when I am free all the time. I am away until Feb 5th, and my time is not my own until that date, so I can´t commit to any particular schedule. Would you be able to make me the alternate perhaps, able to step up for the 2nd 2 weeks if necessary? Or whatever other arrangement you think would work.

Apologies to all for any difficulties caused.

Rats Mags! I am sorry about that. I did ask in the thread if the earlier start would impact anyone... What a pity. I felt that with people chomping at the bit, and others having expressed their need to get started sooner in order to be a part of it, and of course, with no qualification period needed after all, that we had to do an earlier timeframe.

Nevertheless, it would be great to have you step in for the 2nd 2 weeks, and for an alternate to fill your place in week 1. That's my preferred option, and one that I will try and make work with the schedule. Can you please fill out the Time Availability Form to indicate your times from Feb 5th?

------------------------------------------------

I'm delighted to see that all 14 of the US Team have filled out the form since this morning, and that we are just waiting on 3 ROW players. Once I have everyone's data, I can build the availability chart, and we can start getting the first series of matches scheduled!

Watch out Merion... the first-ever UEL Ryder Cup is coming your way!!!

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2014 4:00 AM

Corwyn:

I did ask in the thread if the earlier start would impact anyone... What a pity. I felt that with people chomping at the bit, and others having expressed their need to get started sooner in order to be a part of it, and of course, with no qualification period needed after all, that we had to do an earlier timeframe.

Nevertheless, it would be great to have you step in for the 2nd 2 weeks, and for an alternate to fill your place in week 1. That's my preferred option, and one that I will try and make work with the schedule. Can you please fill out the Time Availability Form to indicate your times from Feb 5th?

Sorry, missed that bit earlier in the thread - was out of action most of yesterday buying a house! Time form filled out.

RSS