Forums

Help › Forums

Leveling and Tier Adjustments - Limited Offer - Master Equipment Sept 3rd

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 9 2010 8:21 PM (120 replies)
  • Chazzz7
    53 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:29 AM

How do you use course management to hit a drive to the fairway that you don't have enough distance to reach use ur head here

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:31 AM

tiffer67:
    Pangaea, you make a valid point in some respects. However I think you are forgetting that most legends have invested heavily in this game, on numerous occasions, in buying new clubs to assist in making the length easier to cope with. In all likelihood we will have to invest further in new clubs to make the majority of us even remotely competitive. Given the sharp increase in cost of the recent additions to the range of clubs, it is no wonder a lot of us are mighty pissed off at this possibility.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why some are upset. It's quite a gap to close to be moved back 30-60 yards (based on the few holes I checked). Particularly not being able to reach the fairway on some holes isn't the way it should be. I just think the howling is getting a bit over the top. I still see many legends do very well in tournaments and ready goes, and not being able to reach all Par 4s in two, or having to get to the green with long irons or even woods is not something only legends have to endure.

I don't write notes (not yet anyway) so not sure exactly which holes it is, but there are some Par 4s on for example Bethpage where I must approach with the wood, and only sometimes can get there. On others I can easily find the front-green rough with a 200 yards (maxed 3i for me) approach shot. In no way, shape or form do (Tour) Pros have a birdie opportunity on each hole. That's not how it should be either. As mentioned somewhere else, Tiger Woods had a 68 average in his best years. But here the best averages are about 10 shots better. If the site wants to be realistic, it just can't live with averages that low.

I also think this change has made it tougher for sandbaggers - at least new sandbaggers. Sure, they can still rip it up in the lower tiers with the starter clubs, like the well-publicised cheater if he stopped sandbagging. But now they have to play for a very long time before they can get the good clubs (after the sale ends), so they probably can't compete very well in the Pro and Master tiers. The problem will still be current sandbaggers who already have the best clubs. But unless WGT do something (more) about how they count averages and move people into tiers, that problem won't be rectified.

• Chazzz7
    53 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:33 AM

In the end this is still just a game and my thoughts are games should be fun or at least have fun playing them this is no longer fun to spend money on equipment that won't even reach the fairway as i said before in rl if you .no matter how good you are have the option of playing from any set of tees.

• Chazzz7
    53 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:38 AM

I know i am nowhere good enough to be a legend yet i am if wgt wanted to make this fair then why not just weigh your tourney scores since this is where everyone is complaining about i for one rarely ever play them i just like to play here every now and then

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:03 AM

Pangaea:

Tiger Woods had a 68 average in his best years. But here the best averages are about 10 shots better. If the site wants to be realistic, it just can't live with averages that low.

I have no problem with the scores being made more realistic if that is what is preferred. What I do have a problem with is there being an advantage to a tier of players on the basis of Legends having to play off the back tees. Right now the game is geared in favour of the better Tour Masters. They have the same equipment but are hitting in clubs to most greens that give them a far better chance of making a birdie.

There has always been an unfair system in place with regard to Pros and Hacks and quite rightly so. WGT is a business and whilst I think they make many poor decisions in relation to their pricing policy, they have to make money or the game doesn't exist. Pros and Hacks can play for free and gain fun from that but don't expect them to be competitive, were that the case there would be no incentive on the individual to upgrade their clubs.

Sandbaggers have never bothered me in the past. If they keep their average lower than it should be, that's up to them. Averages in this game in the past have meant nothing to me, a quick look at the players registered ranked rounds told you everything you needed to know. As you quite rightly say though, now sandbaggers within certain tiers could become a problem.

• gobbog
    150 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:25 AM

It seems like the Legends are being penalized for putting in the time and practicing to become the best players. On what Pro Tour do you see a handicap system where lesser players are teeing off from 50 yds+ ahead of better players, yet playing for the same purse? Either have the Tour Masters and below have there own ReadyGo Tournys or have them earn a smaller percentage of the credits. There should be SOME reward for being in the best class of player, and not a penalty.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:47 AM

gobbog:
    On what Pro Tour do you see a handicap system where lesser players are teeing off from 50 yds+ ahead of better players, yet playing for the same purse?

Ideally all these players should be playing against others within their own tier. There are plenty of players in each tier so it shouldn't be a problem.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 7:11 AM

seanobrien:
    Why isn't the sale price being applied to balls as it was before?

I assume because there are no balls locked.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 7:21 AM

zagraniczniak:
    Ideally all these players should be playing against others within their own tier. There are plenty of players in each tier so it shouldn't be a problem.

Are you saying I, being in the Legend tier, should just dump all my former Master friends who are now Tour Masters and Masters?  I don't think so.

Besides, they are having great fun kickin' my butt in match play.

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 7:57 AM

Remember the song from the 70's by the group 10cc entitled "I'm Not in Love"?...remember the 'whispered' lyrics....I think they went (in a whisper), "Be quiet, big legends don't cry" or something like that........ 'member??

just reminiscing.

d. :)

RSS