Forums

Help › Forums

cheat5.6

Thu, Sep 2 2010 1:30 AM (149 replies)
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 6:48 AM

Chipsalot:

If the haven't got the intelligence to move between upper and lower case they should have their computer removed.

Surgically!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 6:51 AM

Thanks Sarg.

• jayme336
    1 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 6:57 AM
    im tired of losing money on this site thier has to be something done about it getting very mad about the money lose because site freezes someone from wgt need to respond to me asap
  • haji97071
    192 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 7:15 AM

andyson:
    For what its worth, here is an on-line gaming site that not only says it  takes cheating seriously, but realizes there is a negative (business) effect from all the paranoia and discussions about cheating and did something about it.  They decided that transparency is a better option than silence.  Quite refreshing actually.  I would say they are actively prosecuting the cheaters.
    andyson:

Its been said....

"Multiple account holders are the bane of this site... including the OP screaming at the top of this thread."

and

"I thought the idiot filter and the new WGT forum admin were here to save us from this kind of drivel."

yet it is also said...

" I believe WGT when they say they are actively prosecuting the cheaters."

While knowing that WGT missed detecting a user cheating with the most popular #1 cheat engine on the internet.

Blind faith like that is mind-boggling.

For what its worth, here is an on-line gaming site that not only says it  takes cheating seriously, but realizes there is a negative (business) effect from all the paranoia and discussions about cheating and did something about it.  They decided that transparency is a better option than silence.  Quite refreshing actually.  I would say they are actively prosecuting the cheaters.

Chess.com anti-cheating measures

checked out the site andyson, there must be 300+ names on that site.  I would really like to see WGT implement something along a similar line.  I don't see why we are protecting the identity of people who enter this site to cheat, the only reason, i suspect, is that WGT enjoys the added revenue from the sale of equipment even though after 1-2 days it's quite obvious they are multiple account holders.

I have been checking out players in the hack/amateur tiers on the free tourneys, players shooting incredible scores on their first day of playing, reported them to members services and keep seeing the same people show up in the tourneys week after week, suddenly they are moved to pro or master and they just disappear, either WGT removed them, or I think more likely, they just moved on to a new account.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 8:01 AM

Andy, your chess site simply names the cheaters... and wgt does not.  

chess.com:
    How does Chess.com detect cheating?

One part of our analysis involves comparing human moves to computer moves and looking at statistical significance. The other parts are not public knowledge. We will never disclose our exact methods for catching cheaters (to prevent cheaters from adapting their methods), but it involves both cutting-edge technology and human judgment.

Please pay special attention to the emphasized part of that quote.

This is my point.  There is no transparency there, it's a simple name and shame.  With a free game such as this, with opening another account so simple and easy, it wouldn't work. 

Let's get WGT to work on cancelling multiple accounts first, then they can openly deal with the cheaters.  If you know that you can't open another account, and you know that cheating will get your account closed, perhaps the will to actively and purposefully cheat will be lessened.

As long as this site is free, with real prizes to be won, people are going to cheat.  I do not think it's up to WGT to tell us everything they are doing to catch and curtail the cheating public. I am sorry that you think my stance is blind-faith... perhaps it's because I don't feel that Cheat 5.* is that big of an issue.  So it helps you hit the dinger, so what?  It still doesn't help with distance and topographical roll.  But that's my view, your's may vary.

haji97071:
    here we go again, if you don't like it, get out.  is that the best you can do.
    Haji... that "you" was generic, not specific.  If ANYONE doesn't like the way this business is run, then ANYONE can leave.  If you want to take it personally, I can't help you.

haji97071:
    in real life, the usga watches out for their members by weeding out people that are sandbaggers, that is their responsibility, well, WGT has accepted that responsibility with their joint venture with the usga.  how do you think the usga will react when this site is totally overrun with sandbaggers and cheaters
    This isn't real life, sorry.  The USGA is not going to give a rat's derriere about the cheating on this site just as WGT doesn't care about the USGA catching their own rule breakers. 

The biggest cheaters on this site are the multiple account holders, and as I addressed that above, I won't go into it again.

In this regard, for you to make demands on WGT would be the same as you making demands on the USGA...  I don't see either entity bowing to the pressure of one, or even one thousand, participants.  To be in that group and to think that you are "owed" something is the very definition of arrogant.

In the grand scheme of things, Haji... you're as insignificant as the rest of us...  WGT is very close to 2 million members.  Fully half of that number could be multiples, and most of whats left could be inactive... but when it comes time for the owners of this site to present these facts to a venture capitalist, a buyer, an advertiser or even the PGA, THAT's the number they are going to look at.... not the number of Haji's demanding that WGT changes it's ways.

haji97071:
    by the way, 339 ranked rounds and over 3,400 posts on the forum,
    LOL... yea, cool numbers huh?

Sorry, Haji.. I've been here longer than most, back in the day when the front 9 at Kiawah was the only stroke play and it was brand new.  But guess what?  Online golf isn't my life.  There are many hours in my day where the game isn't an option, but the forum is open in the background.  It started as an attempt to help the new players when the site was young and grew from there.  I don't have the time, nor the inclination, to throw up 20 or 30 rounds per day.  Perhaps if I did, I could be a 60 shooter like the better players on the site.  This is probably why it took me over a year to get to Master.. well, that and my putting is rubbish... /shrug

If that's the best you have in your disagreements with me, you have failed again.  Sorry.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 8:58 AM

Haj ---- and still ... I ask ...

What would you like WGT to say ?

What would make you feel better that hasn't already been said ?   I repeat has NOT already been said.

Oh -- and we already know they will NOT name names ... Don't really care why ... although I would suspect it's for legal reasons

Still no response.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 9:15 AM

Well, this won't go over very good I'm afraid. This is just my opinion, but I don't think WGT has the ability to detect cheating or stop multiple account holders. The only ones who get banned here are people who out themselves or piss off enough other members who track these scumbags every move. With over 600 mpc games under my belt, I have played just about anyone who has ever played for credits on this site. I'll just say that recently some of my opponents have been VERY good wink wink. JB

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 9:53 AM

borntobesting:

Many of you asked what if anything WGT was doing to detect cheating. During the last cheating episode (lack of a better term), Niv said at that time that WGT diligently worked at detecting cheaters. And that many accounts had been closed due to being caught cheating. He did not say how they detected cheating just that they did. As one member said earlier in this thread if WGT said exactly what they do and did to detect cheating the cheaters might be able to find a way to get around it. 

So WGT could note on the WGT Players list in the Community any accounts they have "Suspended or closed for cause" with a symbol. Maybe a big red X. They don't even have to list a reason for closing the account, but if anyone reported anyone for cheating in the past they could then check to see if the suspected cheat had been verified.

As far as I'm concerned people can cheat all they want. I don't play for points or in the for pay tourneys. I can usually tell a multiple account holder right away. They have high averages yet shoot the lights out. Then they start to apologize for scoring so well.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 10:16 AM

Snaike:
    Andy, your chess site simply names the cheaters... and wgt does not.

Simply? Gross understatement there.  They named them retroactively. Then daily.  Now a couple times a week.  Anywhere from 3 to 9 per day!!  Gives a ton of transparency and assurance they are doing their best when you can look at the list and think "Huh! I played against that guy and thought something was strange."

chess.com:

How does Chess.com detect cheating?
    One part of our analysis involves comparing human moves to computer moves and looking at statistical significance. The other parts are not public knowledge. We will never disclose our exact methods for catching cheaters (to prevent cheaters from adapting their methods), but it involves both cutting-edge technology and human judgment.

Please pay special attention to the emphasized part of that quote.  This is more than we know about what WGT does, if it anything to actively screen for cheat software.

Snaike:
    This is my point.  There is no transparency there, it's a simple name and shame.  With a free game such as this, with opening another account so simple and easy, it wouldn't work

Actually that's my point.  They do a lousy job of tracking multiple accounts and allow new members to slip through their moderation, and miss detecting the most popular cheat software on the internet yet you "believe WGT when they say they are actively prosecuting the cheaters"

No transparency? Their FAQs are loaded with info on what they consider cheat software, (Half the people here probably still believe the WGT C****y or V******C****y is cheat s/w. My asterisks btw cuz I don't know how WGT views them.), what to do if you suspect a cheater, how they deal with cheaters and on and on.  All in one easy to point to location.  Very nice for new players, no?   No need to search through the fog of countless posts on cheating.

Snaike:
    because I don't feel that Cheat 5.* is that big of an issue.  So it helps you hit the dinger, so what?  It still doesn't help with distance and topographical roll.  But that's my view, your's may vary.

Is this the same person??

Snaike quotes:

...........It's cheating, it's illegal, it's fraud.  Multiples are against the rules and everyone who does it should have ALL ACCOUNTS BANNED FOREVER.

(Not like I feel strongly about it or anything.... )......

.......Funny that, Stencil... if you played with a person who was using a cheat program, but was respectful, would you continue to allow him to break the rules?......

........What I do care about are the rules......

How can Cheat 5.* not be a big deal with you if its against the rules?

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Aug 29 2010 10:22 AM

jbenny11:
    Well, this won't go over very good I'm afraid. This is just my opinion, but I don't think WGT has the ability to detect cheating or stop multiple account holders. The only ones who get banned here are people who out themselves or piss off enough other members who track these scumbags every move. With over 600 mpc games under my belt, I have played just about anyone who has ever played for credits on this site. I'll just say that recently some of my opponents have been VERY good wink wink. JB

Minimal levels of detection are not difficult at all to program, seeing as how you can find code for that available free on the web.  My guess is that they don't want to invest much human resources into the problem (i.e. look over everything that everyone is doing), so they're waiting until they have, in place, a pretty much fully automated system for analyzing who's doing what.

That said, posting the names of the cheat programs is not going to help the problem.  That just means more and more people are going to be cheating.  I don't know why you guys (not you, specifically, jbenny) post the exact name of them... seems extremely counterproductive to me.  I don't know why WGT hasn't word-filtered it yet.

RSS