Help › Forums

Scheduled Downtime Tonight - 7/27

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 30 2010 10:32 PM (81 replies)
  • BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:16 PM

jakestanfill7:

I totally play off feel and have never counted avatar movements putting or hitting full shots.  I get a chuckle out of people that do but we have plenty around that even put tape or paper on their screen to judge distance.  BOOOO!

I chuckle at you for not using them :)  Being conscious of avatar movements was one of the things that improved my game the most,  I too was a 'feel' player until last fall, and never really had great results up to that point.  A 1 yard difference in power can have a COMPLETELY different trajectory based on if it is slightly above or below the avatar movement.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:17 PM

rohdem:
    And why can't I change balls, at least between holes?

There is nothing in the Rules of Golf that prevents a golfer from switching to a different brand of golf ball (i.e., from a Titleist to a Bridgestone) on every hole on the course - so long as the change is made between the play of holes.

However, there is something in the Rules of Golf that says a tournament committee can impose such a rule.

It's called the "one ball condition" (in the rulebook, it's in Appendix 1, Part C), more commonly known as the "one ball rule." As you probably know, all Tour events are played under the "one ball rule." And any rules committee may adopt the "one ball rule" for its competitions.

The "one ball condition" requires the player to use the exact same brand and type of ball throughout the round. For example, if you tee off the first hole with a Titleist Pro V1x, then that's what you must play throughout the round. You may not switch to any other brand of ball, nor even to any other type of Titleist ball. You started with the Pro V1x, so the Pro V1x is what you must use on every stroke.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:21 PM

BolloxInBruges:

jakestanfill7:

I totally play off feel and have never counted avatar movements putting or hitting full shots.  I get a chuckle out of people that do but we have plenty around that even put tape or paper on their screen to judge distance.  BOOOO!

I chuckle at you for not using them :)  Being conscious of avatar movements was one of the things that improved my game the most,  I too was a 'feel' player until last fall, and never really had great results up to that point.  A 1 yard difference in power can have a COMPLETELY different trajectory based on if it is slightly above or below the avatar movement.

LOL at me.  I guess if it's good enough for the world's #1 I ought to give it a shot.  You should market the Bollox AMC (avatar movement counter).  You could sell millions....well thousands anyway.  The ghost of Adam Turner survives!  <<<just busting your chops but I might have to start paying more attention to av movements.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:55 PM

Could we get a run-down on how the avatar movements work? I've seen nivlacs incremental putting solution, how does the avatar movements work?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:52 PM

Richard4168:
    I've seen nivlacs incremental putting solution, how does the avatar movements work?

The same way only backwards, Rich. Count from the top of the full backswing and assign a value for each move.

@jake-What I don't get is there's no way you can have the meter problems you claim to have and then be able to make shots in 30 seconds. Something doesn't fit. I play very fast, almost to a fault and I'm sure I cause most of my own problems doing that but just one meter stumble that you catch and less than a perfect asset load and you're hosed in 30 seconds. 

I think you have the same problems we all do, just not as bad as I thought. Remember last year when I wished I could give you a decent computer? It was when you declared your intent to get the $250 card for Christmas. I was feeling bad for you, man. LOL-Now it turns out you're just a perfectionist and that's perfectly OK. Besides, it's paying off for you. Belated congrats on the fine Open performance.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 4:39 PM

YankeeJim:

just one meter stumble that you catch and less than a perfect asset load and you're hosed in 30 seconds. 

I think you have the same problems we all do, just not as bad as I thought. Remember last year when I wished I could give you a decent computer? It was when you declared your intent to get the $250 card for Christmas. I was feeling bad for you, man. LOL-Now it turns out you're just a perfectionist and that's perfectly OK. Besides, it's paying off for you. Belated congrats on the fine Open performance.

LOL.. I didn't say I played WELL with a 30 second clock just liked keeping the game moving.  I did win both matches but was probably only -3 each nine.  It reminded me of the "beat the meter" game some of us played where you have to hit your shot within 10 seconds.

Like I said, gonna charge up the battery and record some video.  I think you'll laugh you a$$ off.  Not gonna publish it in the forums and stir the pot but will probably link it in my blog.  Will let you know when production is complete.  These are brand new computers so not the one that was giving me nightmares last year but it's still pretty funny to watch.

I'm not quite a perfectionist but in general I like things to work as they are intended.

Thx for the props on the Open performances.  Actually lucked up and had 2 perfect meter rounds....last round of the USGA which was the best score for that round and first round of the British but still only managed a 62.

• nicknaron
    21 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 9:02 PM

Ok I would like to clear something up here since my original post has been quoted a couple times and misrepresented. When I was reffering to the "problems" with the game I was not referring to the meter glitching in any way... For those of you that are having that problem that has nothing to do with WGT or their server... That has to do solely with your processor speed, RAM, and MAINLY your video card and driver... 

What i was referring to was server load times, the "monster" everyone knows about when you hit dead on and the ball gets a mind of its own (even though it only happens 1 out of 100 shots), and page load errors. Those are my main concerns...

As well as adding features that actually will improve the entertainment value of the game and keep the customers coming back.. ie: new courses (which i know takes time and money), shot-shaping, the type of lie causing different shots other than just how deep in something it is... things of that nature to bring it out of beta.

As far as the game itself goes I love it.. why else would I have dropped money into something that i didnt enjoy. I just wanted to see more forward progress towards an end goal instead of a few minor changes smoke screening some of the more real issues.

• wiscb
    28 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 4:05 AM

My exact thoughts. 30 seconds just isn`t enough time in some situations.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 4:32 AM

wiscb:
    30 seconds just isn`t enough

but  you get 60 without a penalty, 2 x 30.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 4:39 AM

wizbang360:
    but  you get 60 without a penalty, 2 x 30.

Yes you do-once. The next time it's a stroke.

RSS