Forums

Help › Forums

VEM in WGT explained

Thu, Nov 26 2015 2:58 PM (258 replies)
  • FBudd
    208 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 1:42 AM

Thank god this has been explained. 

So now i know why my lvl48 ping iron set is so badly effected by VEM, 2 and a half dots of precision! Will wait until lvl 69 now and get me some 4 dot precision irons!

• Dougie4042
    4,399 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 3:51 AM

I never get tired of seeing the Donald's hair.  LMAO!!

• pipeman1370
    109 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 6:44 AM

If  you go to copyrights, you will see were Mr. Cheong Chang copyrighted the use of a Novus 1000v VEM. This is embedded into the VSM or Virtual Switch Module to alter shot of players. Google Virtual Ethernet Module and learn what it does.

Since I have been here so many times complaining about missed shots that should have gone in and would have normally. Balls that head off in the wrong direction. You can look at my stats and say well it's me, but this VEM has been in use several months and I play almost every day.

I've have never spent real money to get equipment. Only survey credits and now the survey companies disqualify me before I've answered any questions.

I just left a game with +5  in the4th hole because of wrong ball directions and false green speeds. Maybe some of you others have had a birdy missed by 1 inch before the hole the ball just stops. Maybe you haven't, but this kind of harassment should not be allowed. I don't know who decided at WGT to invest in a VEM for what real reason. If not to be a marketing tool. I left that game with 2 guys that had top line equipment and the best golf balls they could buy. They were making birdies and pars while I was get bogies and double  bogies.

Don't anyone even try to tell me that it's me. When I had Nike 20x1 Rzn balls the meter was sometimes slow and sometimes fast. The distances on drives where always questionable. With 13 mph tail winds the ball would go 278 yrds with a R9 9.5 Driver hitting 255 on the ding.  But when I tried to compensate for that extreme distance for my shot to the green, it fell short. One on the 1st tee of St Andrews front 9. In the canal before the hole, second shot. I can show you documents I have been keeping on every game for 3 weeks. Every hole and every shot that wasn't right was when I had WGT loading info on my computer. When I went to settings and moved there access to 0 and checked "never ask again" . I had better results but wgt kept asking me to accept access after I checked "Never ask again."

VEM is a real problem to certain players and the fun of the game has gone for the thought of profit to the company. Mr. Chang, not a good idea. Didn't you make enough money last year or is it just to get rid of certain people.

Funny, months ago I could open Maxthon3 browser and type WGT in the search and it would go right  to the site and WGT would recognize me immediately click on play and I was in. Now I have to log in every time which shows me either they don't want me here or they need me to do that so they can attach the VEM to me which will normally start at the 4th tee.

So if anyone at WGT wants to deny that the VEM is a marketing tool to sell better equipment on a more rapid basis, then they are lying. To make the course more realistic would still be calculable or the PGA Pros wouldn't be able to score well in real golf. To constantly have inconsistences is not real, that's harassment. 

Until WGT removes the VEM, your going to get complaints. Some of your new people will read these  and decide, maybe this isn't the right game for them. I hope they see the real game as it is for so many who have been here for a year or more. Ok I'm done, now it's up to you WGT. I keep hoping you will fix it. 

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:24 AM

His name's Yuchiang Cheng and it looks like you got VEM'd by a totally different type of VEM.

VEM in WGT and gaming terms stands for Virtual Equipment Model 

Here's the correct "Automatically adapting VEM" patent application Yuchiang Cheng made back in 2006 direct from Google

Snippet from patent....."Methods and apparatus, including computer program products, for determining a user skill level for user interaction with virtual equipment in an interactive computer game. The virtual equipment is capable of being manipulated through user interaction with an associated representation.

Automatically adapting a virtual equipment model associated with the virtual equipment to reflect the determined user skill level. The virtual equipment model governs how the virtual equipment behaves in response to user interaction with the representation."

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:54 AM

thebigeasy707:
    His name's Yuchiang Cheng. Looks like you got VEM'd by a totally different type of VEM.

Now you went and ruined a perfectly good conspiracy theory.  :-D

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:59 AM

Here's probably the important part of VEM....and what will strike many of those trying to qualify for Merion is now they can understand a little more why , when they are -11 through 12...they'll probably start hitting a wall of pars or bogies.

Snippet from patent....."if the change indicates that the user's skill level has increased, decreasing a sweet spot for a variable of the virtual equipment model; and if the change indicates that the user's skill level has decreased, increasing the sweet spot for the variable of the virtual equipment model,

where the sweet spot is an area of a curve for the variable where the area is based on a degree of deviation from an ideal value for the variable."

So basically the better you play, the tougher VEM will usually try to bite your butt. :)
    Play with less skill and VEM will ease up on you.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:45 AM

thebigeasy707:

So basically the better you play, the tougher VEM will usually try to bite your butt. :)
    Play with less skill and VEM will ease up on you.

What do you suppose is a bigger factor, the actual score or the shotmaking, i.e., dings, to get there?

• dansamcam
    1,739 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:48 AM

Click,click,click!  ...Oops! ..wrong button. lol

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:11 AM

YankeeJim:
    What do you suppose is a bigger factor, the actual score or the shotmaking, i.e., dings, to get there?

I think making something like your 6th or 7th consecutive birdie or an eagle that puts you -8 through 8 will most likely trigger VEM into action.

We know what VEM is BUT we don't know :

1. Is VEM constantly switched on?

2. What setting VEM is set to on a particular day / week ?............does it have low / medium / high type settings?

Possibly there are a few / a lot of other factors come into play with regards to VEM....who knows? Yuchiang Cheng will know :)

On this note though, I feel WGT have no case to answer to. Their patent is in black and white and is out there for all to read. When we originally sign up to play this game and agree to their TOS etc....then we've agreed to everything including VEM.

Whether WGT like to tweak VEM from time to time is their decision to make....it's their game.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how it can be any other way.

On that note.....Probably one way of playing against VEM would be to save poorer than normal scores so that VEM goes easy on you (as it clearly says it does in the patent) , then hammering in a low score when it matters.....like in the Open Qualifier ..or the final rounds themselves.....before VEM wakes up and bite's your a$$. It's a viable theory.

dansamcam:

Click,click,click!  ...Oops! ..wrong button. lol

lolol.

• Kurtsbuford
    7,592 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:45 AM

I have never been VEM'd.   So this thought comes to my mind, I must really be a bad player to not be posting 25 every 9.

Or perhaps wgt has reserved VEM for cheats?  LOL Ernie

RSS