Forums

Help › Forums

WAVING THE WHITE FLAG--I GIVE UP ON PUTTING!!!

Thu, Jul 22 2010 2:08 PM (31 replies)
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:22 AM

Snaike:

KingOfTheCourse:
    Snaike you? The scratch golfer can't hit a flop... No! It Can't be! (kidding).
    LOL... the only "Scratch" thing about my golf game, King, is when I get the scorecard and an eraser!

Were going to have a scratch & sniff tourney in your honor Snaike!

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:31 AM

Snaike:

KingOfTheCourse:
    Snaike you? The scratch golfer can't hit a flop... No! It Can't be! (kidding).
    LOL... the only "Scratch" thing about my golf game, King, is when I get the scorecard and an eraser!

Haha nice, but we all know if we played in real life you would kick my butt.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 10:21 AM

I am with Snaike on a flop shot.  Hide the women and children because this could be good or it could be a 120 yard shot that only gets 3 feet off the ground.  Actually on WGT the flop shot is by far the easiest to use, for me, when I am within 30 yards.  I can stop it well and if I remember to aim well left of the pin, it often gets close.  Really good to use at St Andrews for me and on #15 at BethPage when I miss the green as always. 

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 3:04 PM

Have you ever seen him flop it backwards over his head? He can.

Doublemochaman:

Apparently you've never watched Mr. Mickelson.  It's a specialty of his.  But don't try it at home.

• lyoung4
    9 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:40 PM

Good advice from wizbang......

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:44 PM

Keep in mid fellas, I only use the flop when I'm just off the green. No more than 15 or 20 yards. It keeps me from running the ball past the hole on a pitch shot in some instances, like elongated greens, and I find myself on the other end of it.

I'm not a scratch golfer like Snaike. LOL!  : )

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:22 PM

Hi All,

The Flop - yeh love it.

Depending on conditions, I can play it generally up to a max of approx 45 yds. Very handy when short of the green, and with practice you can get it pretty close. Its a go too shot for me when I'm in that range. The only trick is to make sure you aim well left - depending on wind conditions of course.

Sometimes I rub my hands together and start to salivate at the very thought of the shot LOL

@Richard

You can use the flop a lot further out than that Rich and get it to stop. It is a med/high trajectory shot, so you should be able to get it to stop pretty quickly. Not in all cases mind you - I've had my share of disasters. But it is a very very handy shot when you have all kinds of terrain to get across before you get to the pin. Just flop it up there close ........ boy I'm getting excited just thinking about it LOL.

Cheers

Doug 

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 1:20 AM

TarheelsRule:
    Hide the women and children because this could be good or it could be a 120 yard shot that only gets 3 feet off the ground

I actually hit this shot once at a practice green.  I was in the zone (or so i thought) hitting flops from every angle... a Gedi Flop Master. Then at some point one rocketed off my wedge like a 1 iron and hit a fellow patron square in the middle of his back.

For a moment I got very light on my feet because I wasnt sure what he was going to do. As he arched backwards while grabbing his back I saw that he wasnt comming after me. I immediately began the longest apology known to man and later bought him lunch in an effort to make up for my poor judgement.

*NEVER practice flop shots on a putting green while others are putting.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 6:32 AM

trumpy959:
    *NEVER practice flop shots on a putting green while others are putting.

Yeah, there's usually a sign that says, "No pitching or chipping on the practice green". You did the right thing though buying him lunch. lol  : )

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 8:04 AM

And TarHeels... over lunch and/or during drinks did you get him to sign the "Non-Sue" clause?

RSS