Forums

Help › Forums

WAVING THE WHITE FLAG--I GIVE UP ON PUTTING!!!

Thu, Jul 22 2010 2:08 PM (31 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:23 AM

To the moderator or whom ever runs this site-----------I give up! For a month I've been reading post, the tips, suggestions, and no matter what I try I can't get the putting. "THE GAME IS NO LONGER FUN-------ITS FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!! Do you guys read the post on putting? Do you care? I c ant get down how much to move the ball for speed of dots, the distance meter is too unreliable--its guessing. Yes it's realistic---but if the game isn't fun what do you gain? come on give me a break here! A better guide would be nice, a practice green would be nice, the wind reading is not realistic---20mph wind and the ball either moves too much or not at all based on wind.  Make the game fun!!!!!!!!!!!!  YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO POST THIS ONE??????????? I click "no" the game isn't fun!

I give up, just "practice" round I guess there doesn' t matter if takes 1 putt or 4!

Disappointed here!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:44 AM

Hang on a second there Tracy. For starters (no pun intended) the putter you are using is the barest minimum for brand spanking new players. Switch to the other one in your bag-the starter. It's a little better and should make it a little easier. The one's in the pro shop are dramatically better, if you're so inclined. GL

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:47 AM

What are you expecting to get out of the game? One month, and 59 ranked rounds is hardly getting your feet wet with this game. Use the 10 shots WGT gives you per hole and putt the ball around on the greens, in practice mode. It get's better.

Relax Tracy and have fun.

Cheers!

edit: ninja'd  lol!

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:58 AM

TracyMax:
    I c ant get down how much to move the ball for speed of dots, the distance meter is too unreliable--its guessing.

it is only guessing for someone that has played very little,  once  you have say 5000 putts attempted  you are  no longer guessing  ( to a point) it is called experience   you get that  by playing   and I dont just mean a few rounds,  I mean playing and playing and playing etc.  took me a year to maintain a mid 60s average and I still miss putts, a lot more then I would like,  but  I dont miss them by much,  kinda like the pros are doing at st andrews  now.  Think of putting kinda like batting in baseball,  if ya get  30% there you are great, here if you get 70-80% of putts 10ft and less you are good.  Sooooo   the real point is  there is no real formula for the dots or colors that will let  you make them all  that would not be any fun or challenging in the least. I would like it if they let you see more angles to better judge the slope or undgulations that you have to go thru to make more,  but this is not a kids video game, it's a real ( kinda ) thinking game, just like,   I dont know ,   golf.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 11:56 AM

A YEAR? OMG! Thought you had to buy the higher grade putters. Oh my, egg on the face here!  Guess you figured out why I quit playing 'REAL golf huh??

:-)

• GGLG2010
    22 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:55 PM

"Now putting. Let me start by saying that you must be mindful of the quality of the green (slow, normal, fast, or very fast), as this has a serious impact of the distance you can expect from a strike. Also, try to relate the speed of the slant mini balls + the distance between you and the hole to a fraction of the squares in the putting grid; e.g., medium speed + 10ft = 1/3 square, and adjust the target triangle with your mouse accordingly. If you are putting downhill, add the distance downward to the distance forward before making your target adjustment. Inversely, if you are putting uphill, subtract the distance uphill from the distance forward before adjusting your target. Finally be prepared to decrease or increase the power of your strike. Experience and memory are key, once again. Above all, never try to muscle a putt in the cup to compensate for the slant. This will lead in most cases to a bogey or a number of them."

Old post from funstuff.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:32 PM

AHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:30 AM

Check this out... http://wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx

This should really help your putting

-King

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:21 PM

Well changed putter as recommended. Still having hard time with 3-5Ft putts that are breaking sharply, but had 35 putts on Oakmount practice round. Now if I can ever get pitching out of the thick grass down :-) maybe I'll get there some day. Thanks for the help and encouragement.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:49 PM

TracyMax:
    Now if I can ever get pitching out of the thick grass down

Try using the punch, pitch, or flop shots to get out of the rough. A chip shot should only be used from the fringe. Try using the above shot methods in a practice round and you'll be a chip, and pitch  pro in no time.

RSS