Forums

Help › Forums

WAVING THE WHITE FLAG--I GIVE UP ON PUTTING!!!

Thu, Jul 22 2010 2:08 PM (31 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:52 PM

have to say i watched a lot of golf and never heard of a "flop" shot before this game.  Well always learning, thanks.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:59 PM

Apparently you've never watched Mr. Mickelson.  It's a specialty of his.  But don't try it at home.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 3:00 PM

Golf is a fickle b*tch of a game, what works one day wont work as well the next.  One day I have 9 putts on the front of Oakmont on tourney greens, the next round I have 15.  You will get it under control a little Tracy, but besides the actual putt take some mental or physical notes of the pin and its surroundings.  Simple truth, if you leave the ball with 3 ft uphill or straight, its much easier then 3ft with a severe break.  In other words "Figure out where your missed shot will leave you with an easier shot coming back".  Even think of that with your approach shots.  I will start you off:

You got 130yds to the hole on St Andrews #2 and you are in the first cut off rough.  Without the optimum sticks and balls, you know getting it close is gonna be a miracle shot.  So the smart play is to play for par.  You have a stiff right to left breeze blowing at 17mph.  Where do you want to leave the ball?  What club distance are you playing, where are you aiming, and where do you want to leave your next shot?

All are welcome to answer, and there is no right answer, but your answer can say a lot to how you approach your game.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:27 PM

Doublemochaman:
    Apparently you've never watched Mr. Mickelson.  It's a specialty of his.  But don't try it at home.

Ah, that's the easiest shot on a real course DMM. I find it to be an easy shot. I open my stance, and play the ball off my left foot and use a 64 degree wedge, and it pops the ball up in the air quite nicely. It's impossible to play from a lie like 30/40 though, for me anyway.

When I saw Phil do it back in the late 90's, I had to try it.  : )

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:34 PM

Ahh, but there's always the potential to skull it.  And on that note, why are there no skulled shots at WGT?!

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:23 PM

TracyMax:

Well changed putter as recommended. Still having hard time with 3-5Ft putts that are breaking sharply, but had 35 putts on Oakmount practice round. Now if I can ever get pitching out of the thick grass down :-) maybe I'll get there some day. Thanks for the help and encouragement.

I used to have the same problem. The severe ones are always going to be tough. If it is downhill from 5ft play it just outside edge. Uphill play inside edge and hit it hard. This is a good rule of thumb as there aren't many hard breakers near the hole. Those will just take a feel and practice. You will get the hang of the 2nd holes at Kiawah and St. Andrews. The more you play the holes with the severe break the better you will be at those particular greens. If possible I would always try to have uphill putts on those holes.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:36 PM

Doublemochaman:

Ahh, but there's always the potential to skull it.  And on that note, why are there no skulled shots at WGT?!

Tell me.... lol

I always warn my buddies before I'm going to try a flop shot... I tell them that this ball is going to go really high, or really far... not sure which.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:09 AM

True story.  There should be a new rule in golf, adopted by the USGA and the Royal & Ancient:  When an amateur, in real life, is playing a flop shot he/she shold completely clear the background of human and animal life along the ball's imaginary flight path all the way to Kansas.  If you happen to be playing in Kansas then clear the background all the way to Wichita.  If you are playing in Wichita... well, who plays golf in Wichita???!!!

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:26 AM

Snaike:

Doublemochaman:

Tell me.... lol

I always warn my buddies before I'm going to try a flop shot... I tell them that this ball is going to go really high, or really far... not sure which.

Snaike you? The scratch golfer can't hit a flop... No! It Can't be! (kidding).

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:14 AM

KingOfTheCourse:
    Snaike you? The scratch golfer can't hit a flop... No! It Can't be! (kidding).
    LOL... the only "Scratch" thing about my golf game, King, is when I get the scorecard and an eraser!

RSS