Forums

Help › Forums

How i putt

Mon, Oct 14 2013 11:53 PM (54 replies)
  • Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 6:51 AM

SwingingRoofer:

plz try n show us were to aim on puts n why u put it were u did so i know wat i looking for wen i aimimhg plz

I'm sure my friend "not" will correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the hardest thing to teach.

Best advice I could give, and perhaps the good putters could step in please, is have a preference of 2 things first. 1 -Miss ding, Ding putting, both of which affect the line of your putt greatly. 2 - Preferred speed (falling in front lip, 1, 2, 3 4 feet by the hole.

OK so now once you have picked both these preferences, practice, you will soon develop a feel and more and more and longer and longer will become almost automatic.

No short cuts here my friend, sorry.

• Bellabluesilver
    60 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:44 PM

what i do to line up the putt is i look at the dots speed and put them in to a categories, 1,2 or 3.

count the amount of boxes say 5 boxes all with a 2 catergory speed so that's 10, i then go to reverse view and use my ruler and move it 10+2 (2 extra for half the hole) then i go back to the front and miss the ding where it will slightly miss .

Its working really well so far u have to add more for down hill putts and off the world putts this does not work

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:45 PM

fabulous!  tx notonthis!  can't wait to see more.  videos are my fav!

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 3:51 AM

Brandon,

Couldn't sleep so have been studying the vid on YouTube.

I noticed that you don't 'ding' the putt but rather seem to hit early or late depending upon whether you aim to the left or right.  Also the 'size' of the 'miss' seems to be larger when the break is larger - i.e very fast break to the left gets hit earlier than a slow break to the left.  Am I imagining this or are you using the 'miss' to correct for break speed?

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:58 PM

Wheels65:

Brandon,

Couldn't sleep so have been studying the vid on YouTube.

I noticed that you don't 'ding' the putt but rather seem to hit early or late depending upon whether you aim to the left or right.  Also the 'size' of the 'miss' seems to be larger when the break is larger - i.e very fast break to the left gets hit earlier than a slow break to the left.  Am I imagining this or are you using the 'miss' to correct for break speed?

Hi as funny as it may sound i have never correctly learned how to read the green. I have always never played enough break and then when i add more break  the putt stays on the outside of the hole like i rammed it or something. So my first aim is where i would had aimed months ago but i would had missed cause i didnt play enough break. So i have learned to miss ding on both side depending on break to fix my problem of not aiming enough and it has worked perfect. Some putts i do aim enough and i miss cause i played my miss ding method but i rather know i was close than miss the entire hole. My misses are mostly lipouts and i can live with that cause atleast i know i was close.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:08 PM

TY for the answer - at least I know that I wasn't seeing things!!

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:31 PM

Would like to see the video in full scree since I really can not tell exactly what you are doing. Could you post the you-tube link please.

Thank You

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:53 PM

josephk2317:

Would like to see the video in full scree since I really can not tell exactly what you are doing. Could you post the you-tube link please.

Thank You

On the bottom right corner click on the youtube icon and it will send you directly to the page on youtube.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 2:21 PM

Poowanai275:

notonthis:
    i had 65 average and 40 percent one putt stat. Now 55.98 average with close to 58 one putt stat.

I have 55.18 one putt percentage and 3.19 three putts percentage. Is it good enough? 

Mix

although my putting's fine. it's always good to see videos that will help many others.

One Putt % 70.13%
    Two Putt % 28.20%

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 3:15 PM

Videos are great! And word descriptions are also great - if you write the descriptions the same way that you would talk to a child : ). E.G. I'm an old Navy Jet Jock - in my prime, I could make an airplane 'sing' - but if you asked me how I did a particular maneuver, I'd have to stop & think about how to describe how to replicate it (to me - because of my experience - I "just made it happen")  This is true with you more seasoned players.  You offset your aim for - say - wind - 'just by feel'. That doesn't really help somebody trying to "master" this game.

Bellabluesilver talked about counting 'boxes' and measuring, Could you expand upon your comments a bit?

Poowanai275 and thebigeasy707 have GREAT putting stats. and I know that it is not easy, but could you guys expand upon how you "read greens" and aim?

Yeah, Steve, I know - practice, practice - : ) But, if you can, think a bit about the mental process you go thru when aiming. You're absolutely right, experience makes you better! But (in an earlier day) I taught one of my squadron mates how to make the jet flip end-over-end in a dog fight to "disengage" (escape from somebody who is about to kill you).  If I'd said "practice" what would I really have contributed to his knowledge?

RSS