Forums

Help › Forums

How i putt

Mon, Oct 14 2013 11:53 PM (54 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:57 PM

Very good vid to watch. :)

I say to everybody, when your just learning to putt.....  Distance first and then Aim next.  If get the distance of the putt correct then you can adjust the aim with practice and one day both distance and aim will slot in together.

Always try to hit your putt just a little longer than you think it is (within reason) as the ol saying...'not up, not in'

If you watch the vid you will notice the speed of the putts... all of em look fast but they go in and not just dribble into the hole.

-Roger

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 11:08 PM

Wheels65:
    Poowanai275 and thebigeasy707 have GREAT putting stats. and I know that it is not easy, but could you guys expand upon how you "read greens" and aim?

I've always just used my eyes as a judge to read the breaks, as I do in real life golf and very rarely will I ding a putt. I use the hit early /  late method.

I just practise a lot and have made a point of landing on every location on all the greens and tried to memorise the breaks, especially the putts which give false reads (there's a ton of them).

All it comes down to is a lot of practise, take mental notes, learn from mistakes and eventually it'll all come together.

Also...my favourite vids are Yancycan's :) It helps break the monotony.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2013 6:54 AM

Kudos to you notonthis for posting this help video.

I'd like to add, if you don't mind, is the amount of break increases as the speed of the green increases. Since you're hitting putts with less force/power on championship/tourney greens they will break more than putts on fast/very fast.

Also, uphill putts (especially Oakmont) break less than downhill putts. Don't be afraid of giving it extra 2 feet of distance on uphill putts. As the saying goes "Never up, never in."

As far as reading breaks I always read the putt from behind the player first. Just as in real golf. I adjust my line from there and then go to reverse view. Very rarely have to adjust my aim after switching to reverse. Unless the putt has a crappy camera angle from behind.

On big breaking putts try to find the apex (middle) of the break in the putt. I've also noticed over the years the dots will seem to line up at a certain point when you're moving your aim. If you do see them lining up (not all of them) that is usually the line.

And most importantly,  your first instinct is 99% of the time right. I've done it hundreds of times. Line up the putt and move the arrow slightly at the last minute and end up missing by the amount I moved my aim.

I forgot to add:

You can also right click and zoom in if your view is further away than you like.

Nonzoomed view:

Zoomed in one click. You can go in even more by right clicking > zoom in again

Darin

• slillico
    393 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:16 AM

DarSum:

I've also noticed over the years the dots will seem to line up at a certain point when you're moving your aim. If you do see them lining up (not all of them) that is usually the line.

Probably hard to explain, but if you can, can you elaborate a bit more, I'm not sure what you mean here.

Thx all for the tips.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:32 AM

I think it's similar to all the planets aligning...

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:52 AM

Bellabluesilver:
    Wow i just went out and shot a 28 beth back 9 following what you did it gives me more confidence and no 3 putts

Joshnosh:
    Id like to see a video with some big break with down hill slopes I struggle on putting so bad

Stop...Stop......LMAO......I can't take it anymore my belly aches too much.....

Hint

By the way, nice demonstration video notonthis

• Therockdoctor
    232 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:10 AM
    DarSum:

I've also noticed over the years the dots will seem to line up at a certain point when you're moving your aim. If you do see them lining up (not all of them) that is usually the line.

I do this too normally when your not close you can look at the top of the break like darsum says and find that if you move your cursor to this point while clicking on the aim triangle you can match up both lines thats the one you get by clicking the triangle and the line the dots create both lines will begin at the ball as always tho pace is of mega importance so i try to miss on the high side if possible

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 7:07 AM

slillico:

DarSum:

Probably hard to explain, but if you can, can you elaborate a bit more, I'm not sure what you mean here.

Thx all for the tips.

Yes it is hard to explain. I will try to post a video of it maybe this weekend. I'll try to anyway.

Find the line you think the putt is going to take first. Then hold down the mouse button while selecting the aim arrow to make the line from the arrow to the ball visible. Along that line the dots "seem" to start lining up. Look at the moving dots right in from of your ball, the half way moving dots and the dots in front of the aim arrow.

This doesn't happen on every single putt but it happens more than not. Try it on a practice round on Oakmont with the big breaking greens.

I've had putts there that I thought I had the line on. Then when checking to see if any dots were lining up I had to move the arrow to give it even more break until some of them started to line up. Left it and was still only slightly on the low side of the hole.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 7:33 AM

DarSum:

slillico:

DarSum:

Thx all for the tips.

Yes it is hard to explain. I will try to post a video of it maybe this weekend. I'll try to anyway.

Find the line you think the putt is going to take first. Then hold down the mouse button while selecting the aim arrow to make the line from the arrow to the ball visible. Along that line the dots "seem" to start lining up. Look at the moving dots right in from of your ball, the half way moving dots and the dots in front of the aim arrow.

This doesn't happen on every single putt but it happens more than not. Try it on a practice round on Oakmont with the big breaking greens.

I've had putts there that I thought I had the line on. Then when checking to see if any dots were lining up I had to move the arrow to give it even more break until some of them started to line up. Left it and was still only slightly on the low side of the hole.

I putt this way watching the dots line up, from reverse view,  indicating the proper line. I first noticed it about 6 months ago out of frustration with any other method. It appears the "pefect line dot movement" only works with  "perfect speed". It's the speed that seems to be my biggest problem. Seeing which side I miss is usually an indication of improper speed.

One other observation, it seems to me that CCC really offers up the best "perfect line dot movement" of all the courses we play. I've made some silly bombs from pretty far away just using the method.

A second personal observation, it really makes me happy finding out I'm doing something that one of the best players does already. What a releif to know that so I'll continue to work at it and fine tune the method knowing theres some promise of good results in it..

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:16 AM

CerinoDevoti:

One other observation, it seems to me that CCC really offers up the best "perfect line dot movement" of all the courses we play. I've made some silly bombs from pretty far away just using the method.

A second personal observation, it really makes me happy finding out I'm doing something that one of the best players does already. What a releif to know that so I'll continue to work at it and fine tune the method knowing theres some promise of good results in it..

CCC greens, IMO putt the truest of any greens WGT has mapped. Whoever was in charge of that project did an outstanding job.

If you're referring to me in that second paragraph, I'll have what he's having Mr. Bartender!!!

I wish wgt would let us change our username. My new name would be InconsistentSum

One more tip I'd like to add: Try using the 50ft and 100ft putter scales more in your putting. I use avatar movements so I'm not real sure how putter pal or other scales work. I have each foot scale movements broken down in feet. For instance, on tourney greens with the 100ft scale the first avatar movement goes 18ft. The 50ft scales first movement goes 12. (both those are -1 +1 depending on course).

So if I have a 10 foot putt I use the 50ft scale just slightly less than one avatar movement. The reason is the ding area is much wider. It's even more wide with the 100ft scale. anything over 15ft I use the 100ft scale.

RSS