Help › Forums

How i putt

Mon, Oct 14 2013 11:53 PM (54 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:40 AM

DarSum:

CerinoDevoti:

One other observation, it seems to me that CCC really offers up the best "perfect line dot movement" of all the courses we play. I've made some silly bombs from pretty far away just using the method.

A second personal observation, it really makes me happy finding out I'm doing something that one of the best players does already. What a releif to know that so I'll continue to work at it and fine tune the method knowing theres some promise of good results in it..

CCC greens, IMO putt the truest of any greens WGT has mapped. Whoever was in charge of that project did an outstanding job.

If you're referring to me in that second paragraph, I'll have what he's having Mr. Bartender!!!

I wish wgt would let us change our username. My new name would be InconsistentSum

One more tip I'd like to add: Try using the 50ft and 100ft putter scales more in your putting. I use avatar movements so I'm not real sure how putter pal or other scales work. I have each foot scale movements broken down in feet. For instance, on tourney greens with the 100ft scale the first avatar movement goes 18ft. The 50ft scales first movement goes 12. (both those are -1 +1 depending on course).

So if I have a 10 foot putt I use the 50ft scale just slightly less than one avatar movement. The reason is the ding area is much wider. It's even more wide with the 100ft scale. anything over 15ft I use the 100ft scale.

I'm glad once again I've been doing something that one of the better players says to do. I've been using the 50 and 100 foot scale much more. I use Putter Pal not avatar movements but it works out the same as far as minimal movement of the slider, accuracy of distance, and feels like the ding is fatter and more forgiving.

I'm starting to think I'm on to something good here.

. ;-)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:05 AM

@Notonthis,

So you move the aiming cursor off the hole a bit and hit off ding to compensate for the break?

I noticed you move the aiming cursor under the hole reducing the putts distance, what is the significance in doing this?

I always tried lining up the dots and rely on the speed of the putt. It doesn't work even 50% of the time. My putt stats are awful.

Thanks for the video. This should help a lot of players.

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:25 AM

Richard4168:

@Notonthis,

So you move the aiming cursor off the hole a bit and hit off ding to compensate for the break?

I noticed you move the aiming cursor under the hole reducing the putts distance, what is the significance in doing this?

I always tried lining up the dots and rely on the speed of the putt. It doesn't work even 50% of the time. My putt stats are awful.

Thanks for the video. This should help a lot of players.

Hi Richard yes I miss the ding to compensate for the break of the putt. This method I have made a lot more putts. I use to ding putts and it just was not working for me. As far as moving the cursor under the hole it mostly serves as a reminder to hit 2 feet harder. I always had a problem of leaving putts short and my buddy sebicu told me I was the slowest speed putter he has seen. So now I make sure to hit 2 feet or foot harder than advertised distance.

• creamer444
    783 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:44 AM

i was bad for that 2 leaving putts short. then 1 of my friends told me dont be shy with them hit them with pace more success. they were right takes gutz to do it on 15th bethpageblack lol. and i 2 miss my ding on putts aswell i still move my arrow aswell on the big breakers ive noticed more putts droping this way aswell.

• MizzyMan
    52 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 12:22 PM

DarSum:

CCC greens, IMO putt the truest of any greens WGT has mapped. Whoever was in charge of that project did an outstanding job.

If you're referring to me in that second paragraph, I'll have what he's having Mr. Bartender!!!

I wish wgt would let us change our username. My new name would be InconsistentSum

One more tip I'd like to add: Try using the 50ft and 100ft putter scales more in your putting. I use avatar movements so I'm not real sure how putter pal or other scales work. I have each foot scale movements broken down in feet. For instance, on tourney greens with the 100ft scale the first avatar movement goes 18ft. The 50ft scales first movement goes 12. (both those are -1 +1 depending on course).

So if I have a 10 foot putt I use the 50ft scale just slightly less than one avatar movement. The reason is the ding area is much wider. It's even more wide with the 100ft scale. anything over 15ft I use the 100ft scale.

I have watched Brandon's putting video and I am glad to see the Rossa in action :) I remember watching a video of Tess playing and I always wondered why some of the great players use a super long scale for a short putt. Are missed dings punished less on a longer scale? I have tried this method but the power/distance seems to give me some fits.

Also a question for Darin since you use avatar movements. When counting avatar movements, do you increase power until you hit your desired "avatar position" or go past it and come back? I am not sure if it makes any difference but I haven't used this method much.

I could definitely use some help because my putting sucks!

Mizzy

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 12:48 PM

MizzyMan:

Also a question for Darin since you use avatar movements. When counting avatar movements, do you increase power until you hit your desired "avatar position" or go past it and come back? I am not sure if it makes any difference but I haven't used this method much.

I could definitely use some help as my putting sucks!

Mizzy

For tourney greens the first movement on the 100ft Ghost Spiker L92+ is 18ft. If I have a flat putt exactly 18ft I'll go just slightly past the movement.

If it's champ greens the first movement is 20ft. If the putt is 20ft and 2 inches down for a total of 18ft. I would go past the movement then back until right before it moves.

I've been using av movements since I started playing almost 3 years ago. I'm pretty familiar with how far the putts "should" go based on how far past or in front of the movement I play it. It takes some time to get used too but it works for me.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 1:36 PM

notonthis:
    As far as moving the cursor under the hole it mostly serves as a reminder to hit 2 feet harder. I always had a problem of leaving putts short and my buddy sebicu told me I was the slowest speed putter he has seen.

Ah!, I understand. Thanks a lot. I'm going to put this to use.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 7:22 PM

@Notonthis,

Ok, I played a round on the front side of St. Andrews and the putting system worked great. I just played the back side of Olympic and completely missed the boat on every putt. lol

I think I might know where I'm going wrong though. I don't use any points of reference. My putting strength is just a guess. I'm short, too long, or under the hole.

And then how do you figure the big break putts of any length? I think I missed something!

I like this putting method a lot and can see the success in it, but it looks like I'll have to completely revamp my putting style. HELP!!! : )

P.S. Why did everyone stop posting in this thread after I did? This putting system is fantastic. It just takes some getting used to for some players.

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:52 PM

Richard4168:

@Notonthis,

Ok, I played a round on the front side of St. Andrews and the putting system worked great. I just played the back side of Olympic and completely missed the boat on every putt. lol

I think I might know where I'm going wrong though. I don't use any points of reference. My putting strength is just a guess. I'm short, too long, or under the hole.

And then how do you figure the big break putts of any length? I think I missed something!

I like this putting method a lot and can see the success in it, but it looks like I'll have to completely revamp my putting style. HELP!!! : )

P.S. Why did everyone stop posting in this thread after I did? This putting system is fantastic. It just takes some getting used to for some players.

Lol Richard I feel your pain on Olympic as I have some bad days there also. I find that you don't have to miss the ding as much when you play there so im guessing the greens read truer there. Speed is very important there because any putt with a good amount break hit to hard will catch the lip and go another 4 to 5 feet away for par. So as far as me hitting putts harder on that course I try hit true distance unless if uphill then I ram it because the uphill putts there seem to be very slow. I'm going to put together another a video with longer putts and show the calculations and try to explain a little better why im choosing my lines.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2013 2:17 PM

For me Oly is the hardest course to putt on....  Not sure why, just can't putt on em....lol

-Roger

RSS