Forums

Help › Forums

CC Upgrades & Private Tournament Walkthrough

Mon, Aug 21 2017 3:01 PM (195 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:29 AM

BolloxInBruges:
    Lee is IMO the best player on the site, he fits all of those criteria,  a job, a life, married, kids, elderly :) , probably spends 1/3 as much time playing the game as the other 'elite', but yet still finds a way to get it done.

Touche'.  Lee is THE exception to the rule.  Keep in mind tho he can't leave the igloo in their winter from September thru May!  ;-)

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:30 AM

andyson:

Touche'.  Lee is THE exception to the rule.  Keep in mind tho he can't leave the igloo in their winter from September thru May!  ;-)

Got to take advantage of the 2 months of bad sledding!!!

• mikeyb23
    230 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:49 AM

So, I have read through all these posts, and the only thing that I see that hasn't been discussed in regards to "advancing your game to keep up with the elite" is the money you have to spend to do it! Speaking for myself(And probably many others), the thing that holds me back  is money! I have bought a few balls, a new driver, and some new irons, but there are far better clubs than what I have, and I can't afford to buy new balls all the time.(I am on the verge now of having to use the free balls again) simply because I cannot afford to keep buying the best equipment available, being currently unemployed.

So what I'm trying to say is, I cannot compete with Golfer A when he has all the best clubs, balls, etc., with what I have! The handicap system lets me compete with just my skills alone, as it is in the real world. Why should I be penalized for not being able to afford these things in order to compete with everybody else?

I can see some tournaments need to be for the elite players, but some definitely could use a handicap system so golfers like me can compete. Just my 2 cents.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 9:45 AM

Well, I can see my opinion being ignored due to me now working for the 'rival' site to a certain site with a handicap, but I'll say it anyway.

I'm not one of the elite. Hell, I'm not even a Master. Hell, I'm not even a good pro! But I enjoy the game, and enjoy making it better for others, thus why I tend to do a lot when it comes to community tourneys. And personally, I LIKE the idea of a handicap system when done well, like the one used (dare I say it) on Golfseekers. Hell, I would have even played a tourney on there, if I had the time and my Internet hadn't crashed about a week after it started.

Yes, I agree that some tourneys SHOULD have a handicap system, with a small prize added. However, most of the time, the best should win, as in real life, so they shouldn't be handicapped. It would be nice that once WGT have the handicap system sorted, CCs can have tourney with that system. But for now, it isn't an option. But seeing as the idea of CCs are still growing and improving (this update is a HUGE improvement!), I'd be patient. Good stuff is bound to be on the way.

And finally, if you don't like the fact that the 'elite' keep winning the stroke play tourney, your choice is simple: Make it a free tourney and keep your money, or just make it a CTTH tourney!

• Iceats
    346 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:10 AM

Ellis,  I haven't ignored your opinion but have a question.  What is up with the "small prize" thought ?  You are the second post which indicated a "small prize" for a handicap tournament.

I would offer that the majority of players on WGT are not of the caliber to compete/win/have a chance at stroke play tournaments which WGT currently sponsors.  A look at any leaderboards will support that. Like a real Country Club, which will certainly cater to the money and as you know the money is in the average membership, not the top 1-5% of the membership which supports the club.  How insulting it would be that those who pay most of the money for clubs, balls, dues, etc.. that they would be given tournaments for a "small prize".  Certainly the small percentage of the WGT which play superior games are not by themselves buying all the balls, clubs, etc.. from the pro shop.

A handicap system in golf has been around in one fashion or another since the first rounds were played.  Especially when there were wagers or prizes in the 19th hole waiting on the winners.  The difference here is that there are no options for players who can not acheive the top games.  Oh, there is the tier tournaments - stroke play only.  I appreciate that you support the handicap system but I do not support the view that it in some manner handicap tournaments/challenges/etc.. should be considered menial to stroke play.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:41 AM

Good point Ice, and looking back, I take back what I said about 'small prizes'. There should be less handicap tourneys in my opinion, but they should have the same prize. Seems only fair looking back on it.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:03 AM

My turn....  I have the best gear, been here over 18 months, finally made master... and am no where near the 'elite' level.

The problem is not a handicap issue, it's not the game, it's not my computer, it's me.

I suck at this game.  Full stop.

But I'm not going to whine and cry about not having a 'fair chance' and need a 'handicap' to win.  Bull-cookies.  Either you can or you can't.  If the same 10% of the people win all the tournaments (and there's no monkey-business with accounts and hacks) I say fine, congratulations, and move on.

This nonsense about creating a level playing field is just that, nonsense.  

Bottom line.  If you can't do something, don't handicap someone who can just to bring them back to YOUR level.  Work harder at being better.  If you can't, find a smaller sandbox to play in.

Just my opinion.

(ps...if I wanted to play in handicapped tournies, I'd look at golfseekers.  The reason I haven't been there is handicapped tournies are not something I want to play in...  it's like playing a team sport where everyone gets a 'participation ribbon' and no one wins a trophy.  No thanks.)

• TheTommyD
    140 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:23 AM

BolloxInBruges:
    Lee is IMO the best player on the site, he fits all of those criteria,

"elderly"

ROFLMAO

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 12:56 PM

I know it's hard to believe .. but I'm totally confused.

This started talking about "Country Club Tournaments" ... and turned into a WGT sponsored tournament thread about the best players on the site winning everything.

Country Clubs are made up of people who want to be in the club.   They are either invited in .. or request to be in and are accepted.   Hopefully they know each other and have played together before.

If the Country Club wants to do a handicapped tournament for their players .. they is nothing stopping them from doing it.    If they want to run scratch tourneys .. they can do that too.   If they want to do both .. nothing stopping that either.

What's the issue ???   Does someone want WGT to make it easier to handicap an internal Country Club tournament ???  Take some initiative people and figure out how to do it yourself ---- for your own Country Clubs.    I know that's what we will do that in the club I belong to.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 1:00 PM

lvietri:
    What's the issue ???   Does someone want WGT to make it easier to handicap an internal Country Club tournament ???  Take some initiative people and figure out how to do it yourself ---- for your own Country Clubs.    I know that's what we will do that in the club I belong to.
    Ah, but the issue is the transfer of credits... As of right now a CC tourney with a payout is scratch ONLY... no handicappng available.  Sure you could set up one yourself, but you can't wager on it.

RSS