Forums

Help › Forums

CC Upgrades & Private Tournament Walkthrough

Mon, Aug 21 2017 3:01 PM (195 replies)
  • Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 6:19 AM

We dont get sandbagging at all simply because we use a tried and trusted method (used for over a century) of handicapping and as used by official golfing clubs around the globe,.also the handicap system is proven to prevent any means of sandbagging    So that issue  is never in question.  As with all golf clubs a initial period is required to qualify BEFORE an "official handicap is issued"

And , "no"  it  doesn;'t become difficult at all.  I can honestly say I have never encountered a sandbagger in the site because of  the format and the methods used.  By all means  I would invite anyone to attempt it. As I know  it cannot be achieved.  As stated  I would be willing to talk to WGT on the implementation of a fair handicapping system that works for all, but surely you could do that as you say "Its just a question of math"

This is not a poke at anyone in particular (including yours or anyone else's CC) it is a point I am making on the principle of FAIR PLAY.  One that was introduced to my site as a means of creating a fair and just sytem that allowed EVERYONE  the same chances of success as the "Chosen Few"

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 6:38 AM

i would just like to point out that my "water boy award "is not working. Just finished a round after getting wet an guess what? no award, just saying.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 6:49 AM

Crazyman2:

One that was introduced to my site as a means of creating a fair and just sytem that allowed EVERYONE  the same chances of success as the "Chosen Few"

If everyone has an equal chance to win everything they enter, where is the incentive to improve your game?

Nobody was "chosen" for anything, the players themselves chose to put a lot of time into bettering their game.  Should they not then be rewarded for that?

• andypat
    453 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 6:57 AM

BolloxInBruges:

Crazyman2:

One that was introduced to my site as a means of creating a fair and just sytem that allowed EVERYONE  the same chances of success as the "Chosen Few"

If everyone has an equal chance to win everything they enter, where is the incentive to improve your game?

Nobody was "chosen" for anything, the players themselves chose to put a lot of time into bettering their game.  Should they not then be rewarded for that?

So what your saying then bollox just cos some can't play as good as the elite they shouldn't have a chance of winning well thats say's everything.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:02 AM

Well, when I joined WGT I had no chance of winning anything, 3 months later I had no chance, 6 months later I had very little chance, and finally after around 9 months after signing up I won my first tournament.  I enjoyed every step of the progression from noob, to a decent player. 

I see nothing holding anyone back from practicing and improving to the point where they can compete.

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:06 AM

I am not saying that at all Bollux  I hold my hat to you and the likes of  all of you that are far beyond us mere mortals, I am simply saying that this virtual game of golf (based upon the reality of the game itself) should also be played in the same spirit and fair play as the game does itself in real life.  Are you saying that unless we achieve those same dizzy heights that you and others have achieved we should just shut up and allow you to be rewarded endlessly until that time (if ever) comes along?  If that is what you are saying then perhaps  this game isn't played in the same spirit of golf.  T

he sytem as it stands favours those of a better playing ability The same way as "Professional golfers" play against amateurs.  Would you expect to compete against a PGA professional on the same playing field and have a glimmer of hope ? 

As with all golf clubs and societies out there in the real game  Golf courses use handicaps to determine a fair and equal game for all players to be of a competitive nature. The sytem at WGT does not offer that.  It, of course is up to the individual if he/she wished to take part in such, but surely WGT are actually losing potental revenue by creating a "chosen few" pot instead of a pot of parity that would attract far more interest in comps such as ready go's and now  the CC's.   The only winners in this scenario are WGT (and rightly so  and the chosen few - albeit with experience)  

Wouldn't you prefer a game that made you feel you had to play to your best on each and every occassion to perhaps get a share of the spoils?  Or would you prefer to have a "off day" and STILL walk away with the prize?

I understand the point that you perhaps  might not want to see a change in the system, as a new handicapping system could scupper chances  of easy prey.    

This is not directed at you personally, by the way, so please don't look upon it as that.  It is a generalization to a means of fair play for all.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:07 AM

andypat:
    So what your saying then bollox just cos some can't play as good as the elite they shouldn't have a chance of winning well thats say's everything.

I'm going to stop this one right here.  There are certain tournaments (the Opens for example) that should not be handicapped.... and there are other tournaments that can be.  Bottom line is both methods should be employed but for different types of tournaments.  Could you imagine handicapping the US Open or the Open Championship?  I don't think so.  And no I am not saying this as one of the 'elite', I would have the same opinion if I were just one of the regular joe golfers.

• MElli22631
    32 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:23 AM

Couldn't agree more Lee - I would think most tournaments with a good prize should be straight up by tier. The lower level tournaments that offer small credit prizes could be handicaped. If the prize is large, ie US Open then you have to weed out any chance of sandbagging and just go low score.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:28 AM

I'm with you Crazyman.  We need to reward mediocrity way more than we do now.  Those who aren't as good, or haven't put in the time to be as good, deserve the same chance at winning as those who have.  Sarcasm away now.

Bollox and Lee are dead on.  Put in the time to improve as they did and your chances will increase dramatically.  As for the majors, no way in hell should those be handicapped.  The best of the best win those.  Think if amateur Russell Henley got 2 strokes per day at the US Open per his handicap.  He would have walked away with the trophy and the world would have cried foul.

• SLASHX
    278 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:37 AM

Lee you are a "regular joe golfer" who has played and put in the time and effort  required to excel at this game. Should there not be benefits that come with that? Personally i think there should be. It's like anything else in life... sometimes it isnt fair in some people's minds and they think they should be able to play a few ranked rounds and be able to compete with someone like yourself who has played countless rounds in order to be able to play at the level you do. Honestly...  i think the site is just fine without a handicap system. If i want to enter a tournament and compete with you then i should play the game and pay the dues in order to be able to do that... rather than having to be given strokes to do it. There is a lot of fun to be had on the site without ever having to go head to head with you and try to compete until my game some day evolves to a level comparable to yours. There should be no expectation to win weekly tourneys until my game advances to the point that i can compete without having to be given strokes to do so. Guess what?? Some people are just better than others at things and thats the way it goes. Sheeesh.

PS... Crazyman2... stop using the term "chosen few" to describe someone that has put in the time and effort to play at the level they are able to play the game at. They weren't given anything and the "chosen few" terminology implies that they have been given something. It's insulting in my opinion to players who have worked hard to play this game at a higher level than the majority.

RSS