Forums

Help › Forums

Italy and France

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 29 2010 10:12 PM (21 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 6:40 PM

No venom nor rancor here, blues, fear not....  (sorry,  "rancour").

I was simply asking about your 'racism' comment.  I was not aware that calling out UK sports fans and their teams (err, 'sides') was cause for racist or ethnocentric claims.  How interesting.

It seems, per our great internet keeper of all knowledge, Wikipedia, that the easiest and least messy definition of Race is:

"The term race or racial group usually refers to the categorization of humans into populations or ancestral groups on the basis of various sets of heritable characteristics"

Cheering for one team to win and gloating when another one (or two) fails to win does not seem, to me, to be a 'heritable characteristic'.  I am wondering how you came to this conclusion?

Perhaps it was the term "plucky Brits"?  That has never, to my knowledge, been considered a pejorative.  As a matter of fact the definition of "Plucky" ("having or showing courage.  Brave") would be considered by most to be a compliment.

Perhaps, to soothe your sensibilities, I should have written "typical UK football fan's response" as opposed to "typical UK response".  This is a case of semantics only and most readers would not have seen the difference in this context.  Remember, 'typical' does not equal 'unanimous'.

As to the 'blatant stupidity' comment... that was in no way directed at you or your responses.  There are far more deserving trolls in and around this message board for that title.  It's just one of the things I really dislike around here.

• terrydongle
    54 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 3:55 AM

Oh come on Bluescouse, where's the British Football Hooligan Thug in you, that's what we are all portrayed as having, let rip on him.

Rip a few seats up and throw some coins at him. Then go in to town and smash the place up with our drunken hooliganism behaviour, and that's when we win a game, we won't tell him what happens when we lose lol....(joke)

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:31 AM

Can everyone stop saying Brits? It's English! Scots and the Welsh won't be too pleased if you continue...

As for the 'racism' thing, I thought he was talking about the OP and him laughing at the two teams, but I could be wrong...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:40 AM

Snaike:
    Wow.  Can you imagine how those fortunes would change if the 'plucky' Brits didn't come in second to those upstart yankees?

Everybody comes in second to the Yankees. :-D

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:50 AM

snaike me old muccer was you calling me a Troll,  As you've pointed out so often you don't understand Our mind set when it comes to football,  our sense of Humour is beyond most Amercians its true but you could at least try.

I'm English my friend I was having a laugh, mucking about, pulling their leg. Don't think for one moment they would not do the same to us, they would. Its a shame the champions have gone out of the cup so early and the French have been in a terrible state, what do you want me to say poor French team, i feel for you, I DO but  they have to answer to their own people for the behaviour  and dis-respect that team had for the World Cup, manger and country alike.  

ohhh if you were calling me a Troll you'd be happy to know you are right, cannot find fault with that. If your ever in the UK be sure to look me up, i live under a bridge in a small Hamlet called Bristol.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 11:33 PM

luckysump:
    snaike me old muccer was you calling me a Troll,

No, mate... I was not referring to you as a 'troll'.  "Trolls" don't start the threads, they just come in with all caps blazing, spouting unintelligible crap and usually engaging in name-calling just to try to anger people into a response.

Perfect example here.... and the WGT community responded to this troll with complete silence.  We're learning, lol. 

Back to the topic at hand... as much as it pains me to say this... good luck to the English side v Germany tomorrow (Sunday).

***Edit.. for those who click the 'troll' link, realize that it's NOT YankeeJim's post that we are looking at for examples...  lol

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 3:42 AM

Snaike:

luckysump:
    snaike me old muccer was you calling me a Troll,

No, mate... I was not referring to you as a 'troll'.  "Trolls" don't start the threads, they just come in with all caps blazing, spouting unintelligible crap and usually engaging in name-calling just to try to anger people into a response.

Perfect example here.... and the WGT community responded to this troll with complete silence.  We're learning, lol. 

Back to the topic at hand... as much as it pains me to say this... good luck to the English side v Germany tomorrow (Sunday).

cheers mate, think we are going to need it,  we can do if we turn up with are "A" game.   You got your hands full with Ghana later mind, i'm watching the game later so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck.

Keep swinging, putting and kicking whatever game your playing.  :)

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:43 AM

YankeeJim:
    Everybody comes in second to the Yankees. :-D

"That's because the other team can't keep their eyes off  the pin stripes"...

That's a cool movie btw, ever seen it YJ...?

Since I'm here GO USA ...I guess it's nice to haves goal(s) in life...lol

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:46 AM

Aufwiedersen england too...ahahahahahahahahahahah.

Typical english faux pas...ehehehehehe

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:05 AM

I deserved that, 

Sanco:

Aufwiedersen england too...ahahahahahahahahahahah.

Typical english faux pas...ehehehehehe

It hurts, it hurts bad, but germany Won, in fact they slaughtered us. I hope they do well.  

RSS