Tue, Jun 29 2010 10:12 PM (21 replies)
  • luckysump
    638 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 12:33 PM

ITALY AND FRANCE.....HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 1:45 PM

HA HA HA HA HA, What are we laughing about HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...I don't know but I'm scared not to...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 1:57 PM

GITrDONE:
    What are we laughing about
    Your English "soccer" fan is laughing at the fact that both the French team and the defending champion Italian team have been removed from the World Cup competition.  Neither team was able to advance to the 'knock out round' of 16.

This is a typical UK response.  They are not fond of either the French or Italian teams, apparently.  As you can read from this post:

luckysump:
    ITS THE WORLD CUP.

If you don,t see me for a while its because of the Football, sorry for all you Amercians, Soccer,

Hope we thrash you in the first game an all. Nowt personal, but lets face it , you aint got a chance of beating us Brits.

Naaa just kidding, good luck to all, except the sodding FRENCH.

I still like the line, "..lets face it , you aint got a chance of beating us Brits."  Funny that... for a group that "aint got a chance of beating us Brits" won the group... and who was runner-up?  Oh yea... the Brits.

So, I guess we can all laugh....

HA HA HAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 2:03 PM

but we did not loose.......????????

lets wait till sunday, i may be crying then

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 2:16 PM

luckysump:
    but we did not lose.......????????
    You're right, you did not lose.  As a matter of fact, US and Eng both finished with 5 points.  The tie-breaker (Goals For) dictates that you get to be runner-up and face the most talented team (apparently) from the other group, Deutschland.

Are you sure that your team is up to it?

While the lowly US team gets to face the same team that ran them out of the last cup, Ghana.  Win or lose, the US team has (according to the press and to the ~little bit too emotional~ Donovan) exceeded all expectations.  From here on it's all gravy.

Wow.  Can you imagine how those fortunes would change if the 'plucky' Brits didn't come in second to those upstart yankees?

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 2:20 PM

Snaike:

So, I guess we can all laugh....

HA HA HAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Yeah, thanks Snaike...I kind of sort of almost think I thought I knew what he was a talkin' 'bout...I was just lookin' fer some clare i ty...

But u rite...We can all laugh now!!! so I think I will....

HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 2:29 PM

Snaike:

luckysump:
    but we did not lose.......????????
    You're right, you did not lose.  As a matter of fact, US and Eng both finished with 5 points.  The tie-breaker (Goals For) dictates that you get to be runner-up and face the most talented team (apparently) from the other group, Deutschland.

Are you sure that your team is up to it?

While the lowly US team gets to face the same team that ran them out of the last cup, Ghana.  Win or lose, the US team has (according to the press and to the ~little bit too emotional~ Donovan) exceeded all expectations.  From here on it's all gravy.

Wow.  Can you imagine how those fortunes would change if the 'plucky' Brits didn't come in second to those upstart yankees?

A Bloody nightmare Mate.

Lets hope it don't come to that. well i will be.      lmao

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 2:48 PM

Careful Snaike - sounds like you're starting to care!

And cut the guy a little slack. He's only having a bit of fun and your posts smack of bullying condescension with a touch of racism thrown in for good measure.

I know that wouldn't be your intention (I hope), but please don't lose sight of the spirit of the original post.

Sean

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 4:00 PM

Yes, blues, my last paragraph was a bit of condescension only to match the original condescension of the top post...  it was in the same vein and manner.  So, I wonder if I get some 'slack', too?

As for the racism, I really don't see it.  Perhaps you will enlighten us, well me in particular, where you find it?  I would like to know as racism is one of the three things I abhor most about message boards...  Misogyny and homophobia are the others.

Of course, blatant stupidity is another, but that comes in all forms and values.

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 4:32 PM

Yes Snaike, you get some slack too, hence my comment about you hopefully meaning no offence. 

You don't need to convince me about the worthiness of your cause in challenging misogyny, homophobia and racism, yet you fail to see how easy it was for you to be drawn into the latter of those three evils, simply by referring to the guy's 'typical UK response'. I live in the UK. Does that mean I share his views on this or any other subject? We both know the answer to that already. Plucky Brits? A term I've heard many times down the years, and, fair enough, it's largely perpetuated over here, but that not withstanding, it's still a stereotype, inverted commas or not. 

Blatant stupidity: Not sure what or who you are referring to here, but sometimes an ill-considered response which basically seeks ultimately to belittle and demonstrate how much more intelligent and superior one person considers themselves to be over another only serves to achieve the opposite. A dignified silence, or a more tactful and kindly response will always be better received.

I'm aware that I've drawn the venom of the Snaike on this occasion, and I make no apologies for that. Accept it in the spirit in which it is offered or come back at me with whatever you think is appropriate. Either way, I've said my piece, I think it is relevant, and I stick by it.

Peace?

Sean

RSS