Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out II': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open RETURNS!

Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:44 AM (742 replies)
  • Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 5:51 AM

Go get them Steve, you can do it! =)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:04 AM

Corwyn:

And so goodbye to Olympic, which posed its own unique and hellish challenges...

Olympic is a fickle lady. Long, lean and slender at the hips I'd say. Like trying to hit drives in a phone booth. As far as I'm concerned Olympic is the ultimate Uneven lies course we have available here on WGT. The course design creates the approach shots needed to get close to the holes. Of course there are a couple of holes that work the opposite way just to keep us thinking. Moving through the mid to long irons, draws and fades make us hit every shot a course can test. Those opening 6 holes set the stage for the entire round. Start bad, the entire round feels like pushing a boulder uphill.. Start decent and hope springs come the 7th hole. Then there's the greens. Bump and grinding with no relief until the ball is actually in the hole. A 2 foot putt isn't a lock until it falls past the top of the hole and makes solid contact with the bottom of the cup as a couple of us learned. I hope most of the field had the time to take it all in and appreciate the design for what it is while playing it.

RSG is another animal all together. The fairways dictate much of the play. Finding those  "sweet" spots that offer up lies that can be managed takes a little practice and feel. Luck is a product of practice and knowledge so what we get out of our rounds on RSG can be tied to what we put into our preparations and execution of shots. The one relief is the fairways are a little wider and they're not lined with trees. Sometimes the open grounds gives us a sense of freedom that comes back to bite when we don't respect the defenses of the course as it was designed.

Best of luck to everyone and thank you all for playing. Oh most important to success, have fun. It's important  to have fun so seek it and gather it to yourselves while playing.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:11 AM

Hanswurst72:

This is just outstanding organizing Corwyn, I am more than impressed every time I visit this thread.

Cheers, Hans

I'm in total agreement with you Hans. Not only has Corwyn kept all of us on track to play our rounds the addition of stat charts per round and totals is amazing. The feeling of playing in a pro tourney is so much fun when you can look your own name up in so many categories and see how you rate against the field.

I said it once before in jest but I really think Corwyn could start a mini-business here on WGT just managing Tourneys. My only concern is the time he spends doing it and how much of it is being given up by his family.

• Phaxda
    145 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:32 AM

Mr Hyena, I can tell already we are going to have a fun round together! I have not gotten in much golf at all, have mostly been limited to the weekends so am hoping we can play our game on Saturday morning. I'll send a PM too.

If I get some time in the evenings it's at about 9-10pm Pacific, which I know is not very convenient for most.

Now, I guess I should practice missing greens! Oh wait, that just happens naturally.

hyena64:

I just wanted this out there on record as my first 18 hole practice run, so that when I shoot 141 when it counts, you'll know it's not me. This is even leaving at least 3 putts inches short, with two double bogies on 7 & 8 due to my overwhelming putting prowess.

Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyena!!!

Just like Olympic.  There needs to be an award for most schizophrenic golfer!

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 9:20 AM

Hanswurst72:
    This is just outstanding organizing Corwyn, I am more than impressed every time I visit this thread.

Got to agree with my fellow Elite member.

Hanswurst72:
    I decided to sponsor the "No-3-putt" overall award with 1 pack of balls (players choice, up to 450 credits).

LOL, I was doomed on the very first hole with a amazing 5 putt!

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:33 PM

I think I am making some serious progress with these uneven lies but it doesn't count yet. #18 hit the green with 3rd shot but I keep forgetting to land the ball on the right side of the green. It hit a little right of the pin but rolled down the dang hill. I'll gladly take this when it counts.

QE58J.png

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:36 PM

Hanswurst72:
    I decided to sponsor the "No-3-putt" overall award with 1 pack of balls (players choice, up to 450 credits). If multiple players tie for the prize, the winner is determined by the highest total GIR amongst them. Good luck!

Cheers, Hans

Very kind of you, Hans!

bhoese:
    I'm gunning to complete the tourney without any 3-putts.  Anybody else?

Corwyn:
    I couldn't resist a quick (well, not so quick, lol) look back through the scorecards... and I believe everyone else is out of the running... except Cerino (with 3 rounds completed), and Mati (with 3rd round still to play).

I can sense another special prize in the offing here... Anyone want to sponsor this one? After all, this is one prize Hans can no longer win!

After seeing Mati's post today, I realized I was mistaken earlier  in thinking she was still in the running for this (but as she says, her 5-putt on the opening hole of the tourney kind of rules her out!). As far as I can tell, the only 2 players so far not to have had a 3-putt are Ben (bhoese) and Cerino (CerinoDevoti)

If anyone else thinks they haven't too, please let us know in the thread.

• bfghd
    1,344 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:53 PM

Wow, what a fun round!  I played with Macduff10, and I had a good time.  I ended up even par, but clearly left 6 shots out there.  2 over on the  back 9 :-(  Thank you so much for putting on the tourney again!  I had a blast, even if my scores weren't great, lol.  Hope to play again when the next addition rolls  around!

RSS