Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out II': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open RETURNS!

Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:44 AM (742 replies)
  • bfghd
    1,344 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:55 PM

:-( Missed the GIR card :-(

• Macduff10
    370 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:21 PM

Nice round with Matt, good fun.  You might notice he reversed his birdie to bogey ratio on the front & back nines.  I thought for a while there that Hans was in deep do do, but alas... I got all the screen shots Matt, not to worry. And here they are.  I will say nothing about my own round, other than I stink & will always stink.  Regardless, it was a super fun tournament.  Thanks Corwyn & CD et al. for putting it on & applying masterful governance over same.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:54 PM

FYI: here's the approach I intend to take for another of James' special prizes...

3. Greatest Improvement (relative to par) throughout the tourney (from Rnd 1-4)
    (Top 2 players in this category win a sleeve of balls of their choice; sponsor: jimbean346)

I've added a tab to the spreadsheet to show % over par in 1st round, and then comparing that to % over par for the whole tourney, for example:

Phaxda: 1st Round 94 (+24) :: 94/70 = 1.34 or 34% over par :: if he shot say 80 at RSG, his 4 round total would be 338/282 (282 is the sum of all the pars for the 4 courses) = 1.198 or 19.8% over par. So that would be  34-19.8 to get a 14.2 % improvement.

That seems to be the fairest way to do it, rather than just compare 1st round to 4th round.

Any objections to this methodology, please say so now! Thanks!

Using this approach, here are the current standings:

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 4:03 PM

Very solid mathematics, including the overall aspect nicely! I support this calculation method.

• bfghd
    1,344 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 4:39 PM

Hanswurst72:

Very solid mathematics, including the overall aspect nicely! I support this calculation method.

Same here.  

Thanks Mac for getting all the shots!  

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 4:44 PM

One thing I've been meaning to mention is that this week (perhaps tonight, perhaps tomorrow night) is typically the time each month when WGT do a Update. 

There has been mention in the forums by pizza and icon that they hope that the uneven lies grid bug (the one where it disappears after resuming a game in ranked or tournament play) will get fixed this time... 

... but it could also mean that they mess with the uneven lie effects.

I was very much hoping we'd avoid any change mid-tourney to the way in which unevens works, so fingers crossed it won't happen, but I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone gets a surprise.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 5:12 PM

bfghd:
    Wow, what a fun round!  I played with Macduff10, and I had a good time.  I ended up even par, but clearly left 6 shots out there.  2 over on the  back 9 :-(  Thank you so much for putting on the tourney again!  I had a blast, even if my scores weren't great, lol.  Hope to play again when the next addition rolls  around!

Macduff10:
    Nice round with Matt, good fun.  You might notice he reversed his birdie to bogey ratio on the front & back nines.  I thought for a while there that Hans was in deep do do, but alas... I got all the screen shots Matt, not to worry. And here they are.  I will say nothing about my own round, other than I stink & will always stink.  Regardless, it was a super fun tournament.  Thanks Corwyn & CD et al. for putting it on & applying masterful governance over same.

Nice shooting Matt: no shame in being +2 on the back 9 — it can be very hard! Thank you both for kicking off the final round at RSG, and thank you too for your kind words! 

You're now veterans of this tourney, having been in both TIO 1 & 2. Congratulations for toughing-it-out!

This seems like a good moment to ask about the future as well... I'm not going to rush into organizing another one of these right away (it's a lot of work!), but nonetheless I've been wondering what might be most interesting to do next with this format. Here are a couple of ideas, with a possible goal of doing one of them in April or May, before summer comes along:

1. A Better Ball Pairs Tourney with Starters and Unevens

We did this with a few participants in our cc, and it was a lot of fun. It took away a lot of the pressure to know that you had a partner covering your back, and introduced some fun strategy where one player could be aggressive while the other tried to secure par. Also, we set it up where you could have as many attempts as you and your partner's schedule allowed. In addition, sharing your shot-making info with your partner was actively encouraged, calling out in the chat what club you're using etc, and helping each other make the best score possible. We'd do it just in twosomes, with each pair posting their score in the thread. The biggest difficulty I can foresee is how to pair people up fairly... everyone would want to be with Hans!

2. A Ryder Cup with Starters and Unevens

This might be ambitious! (Hans obviously knows a lot about what it takes to organize a Ryder Cup, so he can chime in on how crazy this is!) Nonetheless, I thought it would be amazing to tackle the new course this year, Merion, with this format. I think it would need to be on a smaller-scale than Hans' major WGT Ryder Cup, perhaps just teams of 6 or 8, with any foursomes games restricted to 9 holes for practicality. And I would anticipate that matches would end up being determined more by schedule than random pairing (in Hans' tourney, the players were such high-level that they were pretty much online all the time anyway, so scheduling was less of a problem).

One reason I think this would be a great format for Ryder Cup play is that all scores on a hole are possible with uneven starters, from occasional birdie to double-bogey and worse, making matchplay very interesting. In flat-lie games with fancy clubs, as in the WGT Ryder Cup, holes tended to be determined by a rare instance of a super-player not making birdie (fascinating to watch, but not as dramatic).

Anyway, those are a couple of ideas thrown out. I'd love to hear reactions, and whether or not you'd want to be a part of future tourneys like this.

Thanks, Corwyn

• Macduff10
    370 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:28 PM

Corwyn, 

Both proposals are intriguing, but sadly I don't think I'd qualify for any Ryder cup type team with this bunch of sharp shooters.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:45 PM

Oh Mac, you would certainly be a worthy participant, as would anyone in this tourney's field!

And remember, this is only all about the enjoying the challenge of the format, and having fun.

Those brave enough to check their pride at the door, and take part in an Uneven Starters tourney are already self-selected worthy of being in any of these tourneys!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:55 PM

Corwyn:
    And remember, this is only all about the enjoying the challenge of the format, and having fun.

Totally agree!

PS

Very nice job you folks have done!  And I am glad to have been involved:)

RSS