Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out II': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open RETURNS!

Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:44 AM (742 replies)
  • TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Sun, Feb 3 2013 6:01 PM

Corwyn:
    And, Tim and Reese, any news on your decision?

Yes sir, we're gonna do that back 9 thing I discussed with you since neither of us are in the running for anything lol. We missed each other today, but have tentative plans for 6p.m. his time tomorrow evening.

Since we're pretty much out of it all, should Reese and I pair up for the last round as well Corwyn?

Thanks for your patience bud  ;)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Feb 3 2013 10:51 PM

Thanks for this update Tim! I'll happily allow this one day extension for the completion of your 3rd round.

And yes, it would be great if you and Reese paired up for the final round too.

Here are the complete 4th, and final, Round Pairings:
    (also copied into the opening page post

Round 4 Player Pairings:  based on leaderboard position as far as possible

Hanswurst72  (Hans)  &  Corwyn

unclenewy  (Neil)  &  CerinoDevoti

Jimbean346  (James)  &  PUHOLINO (Jure)

MizzyMan  &  bhoese (Ben)

MBaggese  (Mike)  &  iMikeAllStar (Mike)

MatildaIgaly  (Mati)  &  ColumbusStorm (Russ)

joewaters  (Joe)  &  seemorehair (Tom)

alosso (Paul)  &  johehejo (Jorg)

Macduff10  (Mac)  &  bfghd

Wassernixe  (Herbert)  &  woodoworkery (Gary)

FairwayRuepel68  &  Camotto

mnshiner (Steve/Shiner) &  hyena64 (David)  &   Phaxda (Phil) 
    to play in whichever playing/marking combinations best suit them!

EDIT: I'm delighted to learn that Daboofness is still with us, so I'm changing this last group to be:

mnshiner (Steve/Shiner) &  Daboofness

hyena64 (David)  &   Phaxda (Phil) 

[SPINO1  (WD?) //   TeeWade (Tim) [WD?]  &  brhthecarpenter (Reese) [WD?]

And here's a 4th Round Time Availability Tab organized by pairings, so that you can most easily see the overlapping availability times of you and your partner. Please do schedule an actual time to play. 

Good luck everyone in the final round!

I'll post a complete updated Leaderboard once Daboofness, Tim & Reese finish their 3rd round Monday. In the meantime you can see the current situation on all the spreadsheet tabs here.

• Daboofness
    438 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 5:23 AM

I kept my availability WIDE open this weekend to get with Mati...for some reason, the day and time we arranged did not work out (was online for several hours, by the time Mati came online I had to leave).  Got up at 5am (EST) Sunday to try and catch a round again, no luck.  

I have done all possible to play 3rd round, even contemplating my own marker (if anyone would be willing to punish themselves, LOL) to get round in.  If I'm forced to WD since my partner was not available any of the several hours I made myself available for then so be it, don't want to hold up the tourney for anyone.

Your tourney, your rules, your decision mate.  

**EDIT**  Just began a round with mnshiner, hope that works.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 7:31 AM

Hi Daboofness,

I'm delighted to hear you still want to be in the tourney... and sorry that you had such troubles over the weekend connecting.

I did post messages twice yesterday asking about your status, and inviting you to request a marker if needed, but we didn't hear back from you.

Corwyn:
    Corwyn:
    Daboofness: Please post a time here in the thread when you could play today, and let's try and hook you up with a marker. Also, it looks like you'd have good overlap times with Stu if Phaxda is already playing with someone else.

Still hoping to hear from you, Daboofness. Last chance today to get your 3rd Round in... !

And, yes, it most certainly works to have you get your round in now with Shiner. Thanks for helping out again, Shiner!

Cheers, Corwyn
    P.S. And I'll just pair you up with Shiner for the 4th Round as well, as you'll likely be somewhere near each other on the leaderboard.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 8:27 AM

Firstly, I hope this OK with Corwyn, me substituting again but the gentleman wanted to play his round. Daboofness and I just finished another brutal butt kicking by Olympic. Again it was a pleasure meeting someone new in this game who doesn't give up when having a bad day.

Before I get onto the screenshots WGT really needs to fix this feature as Mati said yesterday. It is mostly guess work. Hole #16 for one example both players almost at the same spot on the fairway for their approach. Aim almost off the screen to the right and ball goes completely in the opposite direction, not once but both times. So here is one more look at another disaster on my part after having 3 birdies in a row with a par to start the back 9 then a lip-out on 11 did it for me. Lost all interest in playing as you can tell by the final holes. 61% GIR though.

Fairway
    8wIT1.png
    Green
    ZniP2.png
    Here is where the game froze on us costing me a shot when I took the putt with 6 seconds remaining.
    cYJ3i.png
    Stats
    PACN8.png

K52To.png

Daboofness had a appointment and will post his when he gets back.

Edit for spelling purposes.

• Daboofness
    438 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 11:49 AM

Round 3 with mnshiner as my marker...brutal, but always up for an *** whoopin (every man needs one at some point, as for me, I choose several times)...

Thank you for posting some screenshots mnshiner!!  Here are the scoring tabs and my fairway shot showing lie and clubs...let me know if we missed something Cor, I have everything saved!!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 2:23 PM

Screenshots all good! Everything covered between you. Thanks, both of you. Glad you could get the round in, even though it was tough going...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:29 PM

And so goodbye to Olympic, which posed its own unique and hellish challenges...

Sad to say, we also seem to be saying goodbye to Tim (TeeWade) and Reese (BRHtheCarpenter), as well as Stu (Spino1). And then there were 26...

So here is the 3rd Round Leaderboard, and below it, Overall Standings in the Tournament and for all the special prizes.

Everything can be perused at this link, or by right-clicking the image below, open in new tab & enlarge.

Hans was the only player able to break par at Oly, and how! He recorded what might be the best Starter Unevens round ever seen: a 5 birdie 66 (that even included a 3-putt), and opened up what must surely be an unassailable 7 stroke lead on the field. 

Barring a monumental collapse of Greg Norman proportions, the Tough-It-Out title seems certain to be Hans' again!

Corwyn is now in sole 2nd, with Neil (unclenewy) and Cerino just 2 shots back tied for 3rd. The three of them now seem set to battle it out for the 2nd and 3rd places, but James (jimbean346) and Mizzy within reach if they can shoot a great round.

Hans' great round pushed him up to the top in a number of the special prizes standings:

GIR: although Hans is currently top here, any player finishing in the top 3 can only win 50% of the prize, so there's still plenty to play for here. And indeed, Mizzy is less than a couple of % points behind, so even just 1 extra green hit could give him the win in this standing. Russ, bfghd, Jorg and several others are also close enough behind to really challenge for this prize.

Ave. Distance to the Pin: Phil (Phaxda) still leads the pack here by approx 2 ft from Hans, and another 2ft from James and FairwayRuepel. This prize offers up all sorts of opportunity for unusual tactics, and presents Phil, and anyone else not otherwise in contention for other prizes, with the intriguing option of deliberately missing greens except when certain (or at least confident) of getting close. Trouble is, at RSG in these conditions, which holes meet that criteria!!!? Perhaps #2, #7, #14 ... but not too many others, I'd say. (Remember, par 3s do not count towards Ave. Distance to the Pin)

Most Birdies...: As this is another prize for which anyone finishing in the top 3 is not eligible, Gary (Woodoworkery) is in great shape here, but all 3 of those currently placed 2nd-4th are level, and James is just one birdie behind. This one could be very close! (Note that the tie-breaker will Most Birdies on non-par3 holes: don't delete any scorecard pics from hosting site accounts yet, we may need to consult them again!)

Least Bogies...: With the same eligibility criteria as above, the current standings here give Mizzy, Mati, Ben, Jure and James a decent shot at catching up with the four leaders. (Note, tie-breaker criteria here will be fewest double-bogies or worse)

Total Distance Made Putts: Hans has a huge lead here, and seems unlikely to be caught, after his amazing 141.73 ft at Olympic. Woodo, myself, and MB are close, but it will probably take a long bomb or two to have any chance of closing Hans' 60+ ft lead in this category.

The Longest Drive prize isn't closed, but it will take something very special at RSG to overhaul Ben's 310.52 from the 2nd round. With the right wind, and a particular springy bit of rough, rock... perhaps... ?

Hans already won Shiner's Most birdies @ Olympic prize, with 5 during the last round; Don't forget too that Shiner is offering a sleeve of balls [EDIT: correction: 2 sleeves of balls of player's choice] for anyone making an Eagle at Royal St. George's (make sure and save a replay if that happens!).

Also, don't forget about the Greatest Improvement (relative to par) prize. Current front-runners in this category appear to be Phaxda and Shiner, and Mati and James. More details to follow... 

EDIT: And, of course, there is also Hans' Coaching Prize, awarded to one lucky random winner who finishes all 4 rounds and does not win one of the other prizes.

So, still lots to play for in our fourth, and final, round at Royal St. George's. Good luck!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

4th Round is open at Royal St. George'sPLAYER PAIRINGS are listed here, and on the first page of the thread.

Conditions as follows:  Royal St George's: 18 holes, Default hole locations, White (Medium) tees, Very Fast greens, Moderate wind, Uneven Lies.

4th Round Score Submission link (Royal St. George's) 

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:29 AM

This is just outstanding organizing Corwyn, I am more than impressed every time I visit this thread. I decided to sponsor the "No-3-putt" overall award with 1 pack of balls (players choice, up to 450 credits). If multiple players tie for the prize, the winner is determined by the highest total GIR amongst them. Good luck!

Cheers, Hans

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:22 AM

After my first three disasters I am a man on a mission. I have vowed not to get frustrated again. So folks if there isn't any grass left for you to play on it is all my fault because I am going to beat this course to death with golf balls.

fIlMC.png

Check out this Lucky shot. Camera #4 is best view.
    #8 @ RSG

RSS