Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out II': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open RETURNS!

Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:44 AM (742 replies)
  • alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 7:06 PM

+1 for the improvement calculation,

+1 regarding self-selected qualification,

+1 for a betterball tournament.

A two-team Rydercup style event might be a lot of hustle for a ?copy? of the "official" competition. Which teams? Which qualification procedure?

Instead of that, I think of a competition of individually organized teams, be it CC-wise or independent. Alas, would it be less a hustle?

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 9:13 PM

Corwyn,

1. Better Ball Pairs would be a lot of fun. Always have wanted to play with a partner as a teammate. Really like it in rl golf. Got to be fun too in this virtual golf.  With uneven lies would really make for some interesting strategy decisions.

Just wish WGT would let playing partners see the other player's uneven lie.

Also really enjoying playing your tournaments, even though my scores may not indicate it.

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2013 8:22 AM

Corwyn:

1. A Better Ball Pairs Tourney with Starters and Unevens

We did this with a few participants in our cc, and it was a lot of fun. It took away a lot of the pressure to know that you had a partner covering your back, and introduced some fun strategy where one player could be aggressive while the other tried to secure par. Also, we set it up where you could have as many attempts as you and your partner's schedule allowed. In addition, sharing your shot-making info with your partner was actively encouraged, calling out in the chat what club you're using etc, and helping each other make the best score possible. We'd do it just in twosomes, with each pair posting their score in the thread. The biggest difficulty I can foresee is how to pair people up fairly... everyone would want to be with Hans!

I played that one and it was very cool. I would play it again if this is came up. Though, I think it should be limited to 1 round casue some people just dont have the time to play all the time so to make it as fair as possible 1 round is a max.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2013 9:21 AM

Hi Mati,

The problem there is that there's no way to enforce Single-Play... so my thinking was that we might as well embrace it, and allow people to try multiple times. (In practice, I'm sure nobody can really spend that much time on it anyway, so at most I suspect pairs would give it 2-3 attempts).

But I'm delighted that you'd be up for trying it again!

---------

In the spirit of posting the best of our practice rounds, I managed to get round RSG in -2 last night: not nearly enough to scare Hans, lol, but a score I'd be very happy with in the real thing.

It's a strange course: I think I've birdied 14 of the 18 holes at some point or other in the course of the 2 tourneys and all the practice for them, but actually stringing together more than 3 or 4 birdies and avoiding the bogeys in a single round seems impossible for me. At some point you have to throw away everything you think you know, and trust your feel for creative links-style shots, conjuring up ways to bounce the ball onto the green from a long way out. This was my best approach of this practice round, a beauty to #4: 3W 95% pwr 3/4 bs.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2013 5:28 PM

Anyone able to Pard up with me tomorrow early morn. like 6:00 A.M. CST so I can get my last game in

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2013 6:45 PM

Gary,

Have you not been in touch with your playing partner, Wassernixe?

I paired you together because you have good overlap availability... but it doesn't work if you don't connect and schedule something!

Weekdays the good overlap between you both is in your noon-3pm window (which is his 7-10pm) [6-9 GMT]. (see the Availability Chart)

Can you please try and connect with him first before asking for a marker (since that just creates another situation where a marker is needed). Thanks!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2013 10:09 AM

Gary, my apologies. Looking at my answer above in the cold light of day, leaves me less than proud of myself. It was not a kind tone I took. I'm sorry.

And I owe a public apology too to Hans. We've been PM'ing back and forth, trying to arrange our 4th Round match, and I was really hopeful that with him being on holiday this week, I'd finally get the chance to play with him. Sadly, other commitments got in the way... and I let my frustration show in my communication with him. Sorry Hans! I'm struggling with what is a very restricted schedule that fits around getting the kids to and from school, and I cannot play while my family is around. So, it's my limited availability that has made things especially difficult. 

It looks as if both Hans and I may need markers for RSG, although it's possible too that we could switch again with Neil and Cerino, if that works for them.

I think I'm anxious too to wrap up the tourney. It's been a long 4 weeks, and I've been a little concerned that interest is waning. So far, we've only had one pairing complete their 4th round (although I know a few are scheduled for the weekend).

If any of you have made plans that you haven't already shared, please do let us know here in the thread, so that we know you're on top of it. Thanks!

• seemorehair
    228 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2013 10:15 AM

I left Joe Waters a pm but never heard back. I'll play with anyone who wants too, lol.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2013 10:33 AM

Daboofness and I are scheduled to play on Saturday morning 7:00am  EST.

EDIT: Available to be a marker at anytime.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2013 12:52 PM

Since this thread is all about Uneven Lies do you folks think there would be any interest in a Alt/Shot Uneven Lies Starter Club Tournament where you could pick your partner from any tier.

Edit:

Playing the new par 3's uneven lies, hole #17 @ Kiawah, here is what you get when hitting into the bunker. Where is my player? Hope this doesn't happen in the final round to mess someones score up.

wYaFj.png

RSS