Help › Forums

Programming II

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:15 AM (118 replies)
  • WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:26 PM

hyena64:
    Speaking of handlers; how the ferrets working out?

Well, they want to unionize so it's getting difficult to keep them happy...

...we started feeding them kibble this patch, so hopefully that should raise morale  ;)

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:34 PM

Richard4168:
    Because you think it could happen, it will, but hasn't?

LOL,,,Rich..lol. Its okay. I think we will agree to disagree on this one Richard. Im cool with that. You have my #, call me ANYTIME.

This was a Topic I brought to life BECAUSE, I didn't fully understand IF and WHY equipment could., can , or is adjusted on an individual basis. I now see that this is a Topic that most will NOT  fully understand unless you, me, we are a part of the WGT cooperation. Even then you, me ,we may still not fully understand,,lol.

I want to give a special thank you to TWOMINUSONE for his solid input and for pizza's rebuttals. In light of that debate I had my question / questions answered,,,in a way.

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:42 PM

overtheedge:
    I want to give a special thank you to TWOMINUSONE for his solid input and for pizza's rebuttals. In light of that debate I had my question / questions answered,,,in a way

And this right here is community progress in action. No one here will agree with each other all of the time. This includes me, or any other WGT staff member. Discussions of conflicting opinions are encouraged - one could argue this is the high level goal of operating a forum. As long as everyone stays classy, that's how we will develop this community in to the healthy, productive one you all want and deserve.

I am glad, though we debated a while, in the end there was at least some clarity provided. This is all I could ever hope for :)

You are welcome, OTE and TWOMINUSONE - I look forward to more contributions by you to this forum in the future :)

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:44 PM

WGTpizza:
    (no seriously, let's drop the "patent" issue and continue to be productive and classy in this thread)

This issue is not new and has been discussed on these forums in depth for several years.  If any new members wish to learn more search for Virtual Equipment Model.  Here is one of the original discussions.

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:51 PM

andyson:

overtheedge:
    "If it could happen then it already has happened"

BTW andyson,,,LMAO! Thank you,,,,lol. I may have to blog this on my profile pg..lol.

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 2:37 PM

Looking at the patent, VEM is actually quite interesting:

" A computer-implemented method, comprising: receiving user input directed to manipulation of virtual equipment in an interactive computer game, the virtual equipment beingmanipulated through the user's interaction with an associated representation; determining a change in a user's skill level for interaction with the virtual equipment in response to the received user input; and adapting a virtual equipment model havingone or more variables associated with the virtual equipment to reflect the determined change in user skill level, the virtual equipment model governing how the virtual equipment behaves in response to the user's interaction with the representation, andwhere the adapting comprises: if the change indicates that the user's skill level has increased, decreasing a sweet spot for a variable of the virtual equipment model; and if the change indicates that the user's skill level has decreased, increasing thesweet spot for the variable of the virtual equipment model, where the sweet spot is an area of a curve for the variable where the area is based on a degree of deviation from an ideal value for the variable."

With that being said... would it not be possible for a player to manipulate his/her own equipment, without the assistance of some long-haired Vader type at headquarters, by just purposely shooting bad scores? Could someone play a bunch of garbage rounds before a big tournament to maximize their equipment's performance when it matters? (These are not intended to be accusations, only questions.) The whole "how you play determines how your equipment behaves" theory would explain the ongoing cycle of 'average' and 'hot' rounds.

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 3:01 PM

GlassMan27:
    With that being said... would it not be possible for a player to manipulate his/her own equipment

Hey GlassMan27, good find. Even I was unclear about the "legalese" of this subject, so I spoke with some head honchos over here at WGT and It's interesting to learn that almost the exact same subject was discussed about 3 years ago in a thread.

This is boiling down to company ethics, and whether or not our player base believes our stance or not. Our stance is this: WGT guarantees that the performance of one player's items never changes based on performance, or any other manipulation by the player or the company. The only time equipment changes is when the change is made unilaterally, for balancing or bug-correcting purposes.

This is a hard-hitting question, and I appreciate you bringing it up in a classy demeanor, GlassMan27. I would be glad to answer any questions on this subject, but forgive me if the answer remains the same: WGT has not, does not and will not manipulate individual players' equipment, nor will we enable players to manipulate their individual equipment performance.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

RSS