Help › Forums

Programming II

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:15 AM (118 replies)
  • Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2012 2:50 PM

WGTpizza:
    Our stance is this: WGT guarantees that the performance of one player's items never changes based on performance, or any other manipulation by the player or the company. The only time equipment changes is when the change is made unilaterally, for balancing or bug-correcting purposes.

I know my 100 yd Cleveland wedge carries 103 yds with my Nikes so when it carried 110yds (slight side wind, no spin, no elevation change) on a dinged shot I rushed to the forum thinking WGT must have unilaterally changed the properties of the Cleveland wedge and they will have announced it in the forum. Nope nothing.

The next hole, my R11 iron adds 10 yds to an approach for no reason and still nothing in the forums. The next round again a completely unexpected shot turns an easy birdie into a bogey.

2 different courses, caches cleared between rounds, flash version and settings correct, CPU idling nicely, internet fine. The only connection is that I was on for a good score.

Looking at the RG leaderboards I see lots of WDs and some high scores so other people obviously had problems and I'll get my stake back. But at the top a couple of guys who won by 2 or 3 clear shots.

So without wanting to put a tin foil hat on, this happens too often to be coincidence. What can we / you do to stop it ?

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:06 PM

There's a difference between conspiracy, coincidence, and the normal range of deviation that is built into the game (for obvious reasons).  Have a look at a Gaussian distribution. Four sigma events are rare, but they DO happen. Any other result would be the strange result. Three sigma, two sigma events are, of course, more common.  They're still not exactly what one intended.

• Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:17 PM

But when a 3 sigma event starts to occur more often than probability can explain, you have to wonder whether there are unseen factors that are affecting the distribution.

Does that make sense ? I made it up :-)

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 2:49 AM

Back to the subject of VEM. I want to post this shot, as i am always saying that my shots get screwed up. Have a look at this shot and tell me what you think. This is the type of shot that plagues me, and is why i am always complaining about getting stuffed. What are your thought on this?

You can change the quality of the picture by clicking the wheel/cog under the screen after play has been started.

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 2:57 AM

I worked out that playing that shot with that club full backspin I'd have to hit it about 102%. Obviously I don't have the R11 irons and they may react differently to the burners but if I'd be planning that shot I'd have taken the next iron up.

Clearly that shot works for you normally though :p

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 3:12 AM

Yeah, i usually have to play the shot longer. But i thought using almost the full 170 for the shot, which is longer than the actual distance to the hole, would at least leave me way closer than it did. 

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:15 AM

Ffudd:

2 different courses, caches cleared between rounds, flash version and settings correct, CPU idling nicely, internet fine. The only connection is that I was on for a good score.

Looking at the RG leaderboards I see lots of WDs and some high scores so other people obviously had problems and I'll get my stake back. But at the top a couple of guys who won by 2 or 3 clear shots.

So without wanting to put a tin foil hat on, this happens too often to be coincidence. What can we / you do to stop it ?

Now this I DO BELIEVE.  After playing ready go's for ages now, I believe that there's score limitation on certain holes to stop you scoring birdies.  If the wind advertised disappears i.e 100 yard wedge in 12 mph tailwind (we all expect 105+ yards minimum don't we?) but on this occasion you will land on 100 yards (even though you might get 103 with no wind & nikes) And the resulting putt the break wont effect it normally and it sails wide.  or even If you DO land within 5 feet, you might have a flat putt ding shot yet ball will sail left as if you've missed ding by loads.

I see It happening so often, its hard not to ignore it.  You will either get a hot round where you cant seem to do no wrong, or a deviation effected ready go where your clubs seem wrong and your 150 iron with full spin (usually i get 147 yards) will suddenly go 157!!

To me Its like there's a small % of players who get the "hot" rounds, others might get a mixture of a hot front, then deviation effected back or just full on deviation rounds where you either withdraw or post a loosing score.  I've even had rounds where I should have scored 56 but I've had 3 birdie putts from 5 feet go left side of hole when i know it should have gone right side (where i aimed) 

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/134861/894398.aspx#894398

Yes there's a bit of our skill needed, but a high factor is what shot do we get from WGT, because they seem in control of the outcome.  (or should I say VEM)

We've all had It, we might score -7 for front, then play the back its like your clubs are wrong and you struggle to score 3 birdies at a course like St Andrews where 5 at least is a GIVEN usually!

Its got to a point now that if i win or come second in a ready go I will not enter that ready go for a couple of days any more because If i win and enter same ready go next day I get a TOUGH, clubs, wind all wrong rounds where I will either withdraw or at best break even (If I'm Lucky)

But on a positive note, I think ready go's are set up like this to stop the same people winning them all the time.  This gives opportunities for different people to win them on a daily basis.

RSS