Forums

Help › Forums

MAX balls

Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:30 PM (199 replies)
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:22 AM

You never believe me anyway. They gave away the Max balls with a $20 credit buy when they first came out. I just counted and I have 199 various balls in my bag.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:24 AM

LOL. Classic misunderstanding. I think pjc thought you had 200 Max balls.  :-D

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2012 12:21 PM

YankeeJim:
    LOL. Classic misunderstanding.

Another reminder that we are all humans on this forum. We should treat each other accordingly :)

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 10:53 PM

WGTpizza:

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

Know what would be really classy, WGTpizza? Knock off about 150 credits on the price and add a full tick of durability to that MAX Pro ball. Hell, I'd even throw on a 'purty please' to that. :o]

• birdnamnam
    22 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:38 PM

How about new Legend+ Max balls?

500 cr with the same features, or 600cr with 1/2 dot more distance and spin instead.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:38 PM

YankeeAirPirate:
    Know what would be really classy, WGTpizza? Knock off about 150 credits on the price and add a full tick of durability to that MAX Pro ball.

Or even more classy - stop making it possible to buy skill. Nobody IRL makes their shots in slow motion just because they have a good ball. They take a smaller club.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:04 PM

You can't buy skill.  You can develop it (somewhat), which might have a price tag.  You can also buy tools that allow limited skill to function in a better way.  (A quarterback in a Sherman tank comes to mind.)

All that said, slowing the meter down can get out of hand.  In the extreme, one could merely require the player to click the mouse on the ding-line at their leisure.  Hitting the ding is one of the few things in the game that actually requires a physical attribute. I hate to see it watered down, and I'm really old and spastic.

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 12:13 AM

Right on, bubbadork. But in the same train of reasoning, in real life golf, we see senior tee boxes, as well as women's tee boxes. It's a reasonable acknowledgment of physical differences relative to age and gender. At WGT, Legend level players are all considered equal. Same tee box for young bucks with lightening reflexes and olphardts such as meself, even as a former athlete, with highly suspect reflexes and eyesight. So where's the compensation? The MAX Pro ball would be the best shot at that very justifiable compensation. And mind, the MAX Pro is not just a slow meter -- there's the trade-off of reduced distance and spin versus the Nike ball most young buck can handle. Which brings me to my main gripe about the MAX Pro ball. Why the penalty of such a higher price and shorter lifespan than the Nike? I fully acknowledge the lower spin and distance as a fair trade-off -- that's pretty much like real life golf, too, a slow swing and dink it out there short but in the middle of the fairway. Sound familiar? But the exorbitant price and mayfly-like longevity stings like an insult, and a quite unfriendly gouge.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:24 AM

bubbadork:
    You can't buy skill.

In WGT you can. As  YankeeAirPilote said, the only physical part of WGT is the twitch of the finger. I can accept that various clubs have different meter speed, that is something that in some ways simulates real life compromises. such as club weight and sweet spot and so on (there is so many parameters that affects the ball flight that is not simulated in WGT). 

But the balls... I have never tried the MAX balls, but if I compare the Nike to the default ball, I think the meter moves twice as fast with the default. The MAX ball gives you maybe a 4x chance to hit the mark compared to the default one. Meter stay 4 times (estimated) longer on each pixel. A Nike doubles your (only) physical precision and a MAX quadruples it. Is the physical element in WGT not a skill? Well, it is the only thing that simulates the most difficult part in golf - the swing. 

I like the ideas of more forgiving clubs, they exist in real life and by using them you accept the drawbacks - shorter distance and less spin and precision. I miss ding a lot, so I have always avoided the clubs with high meter speed. That is a compromise I have done to match my physical ability and my ability to read the situation on the course, the distance, the wind, the breaks and so on. Now i could skip that, just buy the best equipment available and then compensate it with a ball that makes the R11 feel like Raptures but play like... R11's.

Only compromise we make in WGT is how much we pay, not in how we play. The result of that is also upsetting the whole balance of the game - the good players earn a lot of credits, credits that can only be used to buy stuff in the shop, and they buy the best stuff, the best balls and win even more credits. Once upon a time I used to manage to win enough in tournaments to keep me with balls. At that time, we all played WGT balls where the difference was quite small. Then came the Callaways and it changed a lot.  You needed them to be competitive. Price for balls doubled. Then the Nike - same thing - price to play WGT increased massively again. Now with the MAX balls it will cost three times more to play WGT  than for just over a year ago. If you are not good in tournaments.

It is not just the balls, the mathematics of WGT has been cracked as well, there is instructions in this forums on how to calculate the breaks in putts, the wind from various angles and so on. If you have time and that kind of interest, you can can put the data on your screen into a spreadsheet and you know exactly what distance you should hit and where you should aim.

Looking at the tournament results, I think many people are doing that. At least there is a whole lot more people that plays 56-60 now than two years ago. So many that if you do not manage to play below 60 on a regular basis, tournaments is a waste of time.

I think WGT is on a bad path. I also think it is a, for them, economically a bad path because most of the players that buy the expensive stuff do it for credits they have earned, not credits they have bought. We who want to play for fun a few times a week we have to surrender to the fact that paying over $2 for a virtual ball is simply madness. Specially considering that ball can be lost at any time.

In the beginning, I enjoyed visiting the shop. Looking around at clubs, balls and stuff and maybe buy something. Nowadays, entering the shop you feel the stench of greed already at the entrance. Putting Pal, Speed Up Boos, MAX slow balls and all that. You just quickly grabs a couple of Srixons and hope that it will be a long time before you need to go back.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 6:48 AM

Tightrope:
    Now i could skip that, just buy the best equipment available and then compensate it with a ball that makes the R11 feel like Raptures but play like... R11's.

Not if you can't hit the ding. A slow meter doesn't make it automatic. Granted, the balls make it easier to hit the ding but  you're going to get killed with the deviation that comes with the premium balls when you miss hit them. That's the trade off for the slow meter. You can verify this by hitting a "non-meter" ball like the Tour-SD. It's harder to hit the ding but the results when you miss it don't put your shot into the stratosphere. 

The physical skill in this game is reduced to clicking your mouse. Short of redesigning the swing, a la the real time swing Links had, that physical skill requirement remains as it is. However, the non physical skills involved here are what really separate the good from the average. Yes, it is a skill to incorporate all the variables needed to execute the successful shot. That gets lost in all the fuss about better equipment supposedly doing it for you.

I see players using that Max ball that still can't putt. :-)

RSS